MD's workbench

sorry to chuck a big spanner in the works MD, i just noticed you've numbered the brake B950128, I think you'll find this is one of the BR built LMS 20t vans from lot 2026 dia 1/503?

regards Nigel

Nigel, that big spanner has already been chucked, courtesy of Ian (Pennine MC)… and as I said to him, no apology necessary, I shall just renumber it soon enough but for the moment it's a distant memory as the practicality of the Standard 8F project is foremost in my thoughts :O

Just seen the brake van. Nice weathering but I think the carrier film behind the transfers lets it down a bit as they are quite visible on top of the planking.

Now Modelmaster have quite thick carrier in my experience so I use Fox instead, the font tends to look a bit better too. To get them to sit better on the body though I apply Micro Set before and after the transfer and then Micro Sol when its correctly positioned and dried (I think I have the names the correct way around, it tells you on the bottles what to use when). I'd really recommend the stuff to help bed in transfers to their surface. HTH

Many brake vans had the WB printed on the solebar near the shopping dates or not at all from the photos I have. Painting a tare wasn't that common from what I recall though i'd have to check my spreadsheet of Don Rowlands prints.

sorry MD must've missed that, did he mention the vac piped/ vac fitted issue as well ?

Nigel

No worries Nigel, I'm aware that there were many changes between the various lots of BR 20T brakes, such as being fitted or unfitted, lower positioned vac pipes, Oleo buffers and different axle boxes. I only have vague information so I really should get Eric Gents book to understand as much as possible… and to find a clear image of an early '60s prototype and copy that.

Just seen the brake van. Nice weathering but I think the carrier film behind the transfers lets it down a bit as they are quite visible on top of the planking.

Now Modelmaster have quite thick carrier in my experience so I use Fox instead, the font tends to look a bit better too. To get them to sit better on the body though I apply Micro Set before and after the transfer and then Micro Sol when its correctly positioned and dried (I think I have the names the correct way around, it tells you on the bottles what to use when). I'd really recommend the stuff to help bed in transfers to their surface. HTH

Many brake vans had the WB printed on the solebar near the shopping dates or not at all from the photos I have. Painting a tare wasn't that common from what I recall though i'd have to check my spreadsheet of Don Rowlands prints.

Absolutely with you there Craig… I hate the fact that the carrier film shows and I had a tough job trying to cut the decal surrounds as close as I dare to the decals themselves. I was going to weather over them but as I'll be renumbering the van I'll try Fox decals again. I used Fox on my Black 5 but I don't like the smokebox numbers, which are too big and don't allow space for the 'bolts' attaching the plate to the smokebox door… so I thought I'd try Modelmaster for my wagons.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I have some Micro Set and Micro Sol still unopened from about 25 years ago when I started making white metal model car kits… I got as far as one! I'll do a test to see if it still works.

That's bad news. I was hoping it woud be crammed with images from the 60's :O

Better off with 4mm wagon part 3 for 60s shots.

The Eric Gent book is useful but I guess he didn't want to pay fees to too many people to buy in their prints for the 60s for the book which would make sense. The details on internal layout and the lot numbers are useful though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just briefly hijacking Ryan's thread again but tonight I have been playing around with my Class 504 after many months lying in a box gathering dust after one of the lugs holding the motor in the Replica chasis broke. I decided to hijack the chassis of my green 2 EPB chassis and with a little filing too both chassis and body and repairing some splits on the body (there is still some work to do as seen on the picture below) I got the chassis to fit. There is still quite a bit of work to do but here are some pictures, you will see I have used the Bachmann interior lighting units as well.

I need to modify the bogies and add headlights.

post-6784-0-26255200-1316126389_thumb.jpg

post-6784-0-77965800-1316126401_thumb.jpg

post-6784-0-31401400-1316126417_thumb.jpg

The pictures were taken in low light on my iPhone so not that brilliant, I will take some better ones over the weekend when I have done some more work.

Peter

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived