MD's workbench

Hi

Surface Mounted Device.

If you take apart modern electronic devices these are the small oblong parts on the PCB replacing the old style of resistor, capacitor, diode, etc. They take up far less room.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks.

OzzyO.

Hi MD, on these units of what I can recollect, the interiors had wooden bulkheads half way down each coach, in effect splitting the coach in two, this was of wood with a long bench seat either side of the bulkhead in each compartment, then the rest of the seats were of high density type seat, also each end of the coach was also full width seats, I distinctly remember the long bench seats as there was an anodised luggage rack above these seats and a BR insigned mirror on each bulkhead.

The cloth used on the seats was a grey colour that had a thin yellow and red strip in it, if there was another colour I cannot remember, this cloth colour was definitely when it was BR Blue, Blue Grey and Orange and Brown liveries.

I hope this helps, if you need anymore help PM and I will list it onto this thread.

Craig.

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I experimented with lights on the Class 504 using SMD LED's. I tried the lights connected to the Replica Railways chassis but there seems to be a problem which I will investigate further so I had to use an LED tester to check the lights worked which they did as you will see below.

post-6784-0-89137500-1299026549_thumb.jpg

The Headcode board is taken from the spare one given with the Bachmann 4CEP and it fits more or less perfectly

post-6784-0-24116000-1299026550_thumb.jpg

The tail lights using Fibre Optic cable for the lens, one is missing in this pic.

post-6784-0-65378600-1299026550_thumb.jpg

The lighting board from the back

Regards,

Peter

Wow, Peter, you're steaming ahead with yours and leaving me in a trail of dust! I may be asking you more specific questions on the lighting at some point. And thanks for the link to that pic, even though I've seen that one already… one of the very few green ones I could locate!

Darrel, thanks for those images… excellent, although it's a bit sad to see them in such a state.

Craig, I appreciate your thorough interior description, cheers. I still kick myself at having lived by that railway for many years without taking a single ride on one! I sometimes sat on the platform at Woodlands Road, barely noticing them glide in and out of the station whilst waiting to see any steam locos at close-quarters, particularly double-headed steam coal trains when I was lucky enough! Also, I finally got my hands on the 'Railways Around Bury' book you mentioned… very interesting and with lots of useful reference for my layout.

Back to the 504, does anyone know if there is a book (or a chapter within one) devoted to these units?

Tonight I experimented with lights on the Class 504 using SMD LED's. I tried the lights connected to the Replica Railways chassis but there seems to be a problem which I will investigate further so I had to use an LED tester to check the lights worked which they did as you will see below.

post-6784-0-89137500-1299026549_thumb.jpg

The Headcode board is taken from the spare one given with the Bachmann 4CEP and it fits more or less perfectly

post-6784-0-24116000-1299026550_thumb.jpg

The tail lights using Fibre Optic cable for the lens, one is missing in this pic.

post-6784-0-65378600-1299026550_thumb.jpg

The lighting board from the back

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I am currently fitting headcode/tail lights to my fleet of Class 501's I mount the LED inside a small plastic box painted back with a hole in one end made prom Plastistrut with the leads pushed through 2 holes and into a 2 Pin DIL component mount made from an IC socket . The sockets pins on the other end then become a plug which I connect t another 2 pin DIL to with has the wires form the Power supply to. I do the same for the tail lamp except that is mounted in a hole in the front of the cab; by doing this it makes coach body removal easy

Xerces Fobe

• RMweb Gold

Hi XF,

Thanks for the info. I have used the method used in the Class 504 on a couple of Bachmann 37's and a 40 which I had orginally used LED's but it wasn't tidy and difficult to fit so I had a couple of the Express Lighting kits and I copied the way they did it with thin copper clad and SMD's which is a lot neater and takes up a lot less space, it is just the eye strain using SMD'S!

I am always looking for ways to make things easier for taking the body off and my mind is now spinning with an idea and that is I to run the wires to the top of the cab to a small piece of copper clad divided into three and then on the cab bulkhead have three pieces of phopsher bronze which will make contact when the body is put on, in fact the method used by both Hornby and Bachman, something else to try later! If this proves unreliable I will return to the small micro socket and plug method.

Regards,

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Hi MD,

I was pleased to find that picture as it confirmed that the units had tail lights from new, I wondered if these were fitted at a later stage. I was pleased the 4CEP desitnation board fitted and I will have to nick the spare one from my Blue 4 CEP for the other end.

As last night was the trial run I will probably be doing the other end to night so I will take some pictures at the various stages and post them later. I am also going to do the destination blinds and that will be a small lighting board fitted behind the blind and taking it's feed from the main headlight board. well thats the plan!

Peter

On the question of photo resources for the Cl 504 units, there is some archive cine footage on B&R Video Productions Vol 98 'Lancashire and Yorkshire Memories' Part 6 Manchester and Bury. There isn't much on the 504s but they were recorded at Victoria and Bury in green with small yellow warning panels and blue with all over yellow ends. Most of the coverage is of steam engines at Exchange, Victoria and Bury.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some pictures of the work so far taken at the Heywood Exhibition yesterday. This is the first proper paint job I have done on a model in quite a number of years and I need to fix a few minor problems before I go on to the next stage.

post-6784-0-18198300-1300694904_thumb.jpg

post-6784-0-40116800-1300694906_thumb.jpg

post-6784-0-83366200-1300694906_thumb.jpg

post-6784-0-28073800-1300694907_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Peter

That's coming along nicely Peter. Looks like a very early unit, before the introduction of yellow warning panels… but the green looks quite pale to me, or is that just the lighting? May I ask about your solution to the inter-car MU fittings and coupling? I'm lost for reference of the prototype in this area. Thanks, Ryan

Hi MD,

Only just noticed the thread and you're possibly past the point where these are going to be of any help but I've got a couple of pics of the 504's at Crumpsall. The one below was taken in July 1984 and is fairly head-on.

post-3695-0-21180100-1300825701_thumb.jpg

The other is more 'arty'... ;)

post-3695-0-14098500-1300825810_thumb.jpg

Great to see a model with such character!

HTH

Bruce

On the question of photo resources for the Cl 504 units, there is some archive cine footage on B&R Video Productions Vol 98 'Lancashire and Yorkshire Memories' Part 6 Manchester and Bury. There isn't much on the 504s but they were recorded at Victoria and Bury in green with small yellow warning panels and blue with all over yellow ends. Most of the coverage is of steam engines at Exchange, Victoria and Bury.

Regards

Thanks for that PB, I'm definitely keeping my eye out for that one, especially with the elusive green variants!

Hi Ryan,

The green is darker than in the pictures, the light was pretty poor. I am not sure about the inter-car MU fittings but I can ask one of the lads at our club if he knows.

Peter

Thought that might be the case. A very good 'graft' of the DC front-end onto the Replica coach, I might add!

Hi MD,

Only just noticed the thread and you're possibly past the point where these are going to be of any help but I've got a couple of pics of the 504's at Crumpsall. The one below was taken in July 1984 and is fairly head-on.

The other is more 'arty'... ;)

Great to see a model with such character!

HTH

Bruce

Thanks for posting those images Bruce. I've sorted the front ends now but any images are most welcome and the top shot shows quite well how far those door hinges stick out – a job that I still have to do and which I'm really not relishing!

How years change perceptions. In the mid-sixties when steam was around, these units didn't interest me very much but now I find them quite fascinating… definitely one of the more interesting EMUs.

• RMweb Premium

i'm sure brian daniels' site on fotopic had a few images of the inner car ends - but fotopic's stll down............

i'm sure that there were 2 jumper cables + dummy sockets on one end, the other car end had 2 jumper sockets. one (control) looked like the one on the front end, the other (power) was more chunky (possibly similar to other AC or DC units of similar vintage, like the front of the original 307s? c.1958 - Liverpool Street. )

i think they were internally buckeye/rubbing plate coupled, no buffers and air/MR pipes below bufferbeam level

had a look on flickr, these may be of interest

504_2-7-77 (i'm sure i've seen a similar view showing the inner end)

Class 504 #77172

• RMweb Gold
If you are going to DCC the unit Peter it will always welcomed to "visit" Croxley WRD at a Show

Thanks Nigel. I have got a Loksound (V4) decoder with Olivia's Southern EMU project which sounds quite good and has lots of nice function sound including a compressor which can make you jump out of your skin!

I am using the Replica Railways chassis which is good but lacks any space in the chassis for the deocoder and/or a speaker so they will have to be hidden in the guards van. Also as the chassis comes to below the windows it means some serious modification of the seats!

Thought that might be the case. A very good 'graft' of the DC front-end onto the Replica coach, I might add!

Thanks Ryan. I did a lot of filling and filing, I am not 100% happy as I can see things on the join but the paint has done a good job of masking it. When I added a chassis to the trailer carriage it pushed it out slightly and cracked on the join so a little work needed to sort that out but I will use milliput this time instead of the white putty as I know from past experience that can be quite strong (it was very good for converting a Dinky Atlantean bus from dual door to single door!)

I may take a diiferent approach next time as someone told me over the weekend that that No Nonsense Kits produced a suitable front for a 308/504. I contacted Phoenix Paints who now sell the kits but they haven't found them yet as they are still going through all the stock they acquired but they are sure there are some. If so I will use them on Class 504 no 2.

The main reason for my sudden interest in Class 504's, besides being a local train is that I am in the process of acquiring the 'Holcombe Brook and Tottington' layout and it is currently run as a 60's what if, as if the electric service continued so an excuse to run 504's. I intend to continue to run it that way too.

Regards,

Peter

Hi, although im an 'n' gauger and a 501 fanatic :blink: i think these 504s are brilliant, i know the interiors are pratically the same as the 501 emus, as there were some 504s stored up at croxley green in 1980 and i think they were using them for spares for the 501s, anyways, great models chaps! love 3rd rail slam door emus :) ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to circumstances out of my control I won't be pursuing this project, or any model rail stuff, for the foreseeable future, which is

massively frustrating, but hopefully it won't be too long before I can get back on this.

Just a quick note of thanks to Mark (Ark Royal) for bringing to my attention Replica Railways EMU front end components which saved

me in the nick of time from attempting to make them myself. Not sure the wipers or the steps will be fine enough for what I want but the

MU fittings are just what I've been seeking for some time and reasonable for a fiver. Replica Railways' service is friendly and delivery,

super-quick!

post-6878-0-42447800-1302801128_thumb.jpg

post-6878-0-49470000-1302801150_thumb.jpg

Now for some decent roof vents… any ideas?

Also, thanks Ian Allen for the interior info. I took a screen grab and reduced it to roughly what I thought was 4mm scale and it just looks

grey with the very faintest of vertical stripes… so I'll think about how to tackle that, maybe after the seats are in place, to check just how

visible they will be.

In the meantime, Peter (Savoyard), keep up the good work on your 504 (you've gone very quiet) and looking forward to seeing progress

here as I'll still be popping-in for a peek now and again.

Cheers

Ryan

Guest jim s-w

I'm not quite sure which of the Mk 1 EMU's Charlie based the position of those lights on, but it is not one I know

Correct for a class 304 Chris

Hth

Jim

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Ryan,

I haven't done much on the 504 for ages since I fixed the split sides which still needs repainting. I had hoped to finish a couple of months ago as a good friend who was seriously ill with cancer was keen to see it progress and was always asking about it and I took it to show him in hospital a couple of times and he was impressed. Sadly he passed away at the beginning of May and I lost the imputus to finish it at the time, I intend to do some work on it shortly.

I have thought of another potential conversion uisng the Bachmann 2 EPB, especially as there might be some spare bodies about when Bachmann produce the replacement body for the current blue which I think has the wrong number on the cab ends.

Regards,

Peter

Archived