BR Standard Tenders Type 2 & Type 2A

brightspark

Hello playmates.

I am currently having a crack at an Airfix Mogul using a Comet chassis and Branchlines detail pack. The plan is to make up one of the 2-6-0 stds that run down the Bournemouth line in 1960.

Now it would seem that the first batch of these engines were fitted with a type 2 tender (76000 to 76044) and then some were fitted with a type 2A. The Airfix model I would assume would have a type 2A tender as that was fitted to 76114.

I had a trip to the Watercress and had a look at the tender of 76017 (thanks to MHPS for letting me through the barriers to take a close look). According to the register 76017 should have a type 2 but there on the back is a plate stating type 2A. Now it could be that the tender has been swapped in the past 50 years or was the type 2 converted to a 2A?

So the question is what is the difference between type 2 and type 2A tenders?

Also what condition would these be in in 1960? So far it looks like they may have had the rubber seal on by then. Does anyone know for sure? Any pictures please?

Also has anyone had a go at moddeling the rubber seals? If so how did you do it?

Thanks guys

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I think the difference between a 2 and 2A is a different design of fall plate/cab/door/handrail between the cab and tender.

Early standards had a large floor cantilevered out from the backplate - easy to spot because the rearward (tender-side) cab handrail was fixed between the cab floor and roof. The cab doors were fixed to the loco. BR2

Later locos have the rearward handrail mounted on the tender and the doors mounted on the tender - BR2A

Early locos may well have been modified to take the 2A in later years.

Other Standards have similar tender/cab design changes through their life, the BR1H was later version of the BR1, in the same way that the BR1G was the later version of the BR1A.

EDIT: - the diagrams in the BR Standards book by OPC states that the only difference between the 2 and 2A is that the 2A carries a fall plate and gangway doors.

Phew!

EDIT2 - looking at photos of 76017, it has the early style of cab with rear handrail fixed to the cab roof, so therefore it should really be attached to a BR2 - it is possible that a 2A has had the fallplate and doors removed and now finds itself with 76017.

This an original 2A - note the cab handrail fixed to the tender.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I would agree with the comments already made, one other difference, but i am not totally sure if its the difference between the 2 and 2a is the tender windows are larger more like the front cab windows in height than some of the others.

As ever its a case of get photos of your prototype and work from them.

Kind regards

Duncan

Thanks guys.

I see what you mean about the rear handrail. The Airfix (Dapol/Rosebud) kit has the 2A tender with the forward projecting plate and handrails.

I have also searched for 76017 and found this view of the cab showing the handrail and also the tender window.

I didn't get to see the engine/cab as it was inside the workshops.

Here are some of the pictures I took of the tender at Ropley on Sunday.

Andy

post-4587-0-12666700-1296592768_thumb.jpg

post-4587-0-04092800-1296592829_thumb.jpg

post-4587-0-88733300-1296592917_thumb.jpg

post-4587-0-77659700-1296593002_thumb.jpg

Archived