Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

It looks like we will be attending the BRM show in February 2018 instead of this Peterborough show. 

Would that be Doncaster?

In which case, you are currently missing from the list of layouts (as you were initially for Peterborough!).

Here's hoping that you will be there!

Tony

Would that be Doncaster?

In which case, you are currently missing from the list of layouts (as you were initially for Peterborough!).

Here's hoping that you will be there!

Tony

Doncaster 2018, not 2017. Our next outing is Glasgow in February 2017.

Les

Edited by Les Green

Les

Understood - but Glasgow is a long way!

Do you have anything else south of the border in 2017?

Best wishes

Tony

Our current bookings are:

Glasgow - February 2017

Doncaster - February 2018

Newcastle - November 2018

Wigan - November 2019

Hope that is of use.

Les

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good running session today....

The Lime Street team have agreed a strategy of regular running sessions on the first and third Wednesdays of each month.

Rob and I joined John today for the first of these (I know its Thursday but don't ask :senile: ).

Overall the session was very successful, but we were disappointed by some hesitant running in the first few minutes.

This was identified as a very short length of rail suffering a broken soldered joint.

It was compounded by a loose wheel on a Jinty which lost its quartering as a result.

Once these were resolved, the session went quite smoothly and one complete run-through of the sequence was achieved without further incident.

The sequence incorporates new rolling stock which John has acquired since we were at Wakefield almost a year ago.

These regular running sessions will help us to fully resolve any technical issues that arise, and also give more opportunity to host visits to the railway.

I hope we'll be able to get some photos and videos of the future sessions.

Steve.

• Like 10

I have been asked how we produce some of our castings for the buildings on the Lime Street layout. Once the hotel model is complete my next project is the office block along the North side of the platforms. Again this is a large building almost a metre long and five storeys high. Some of the windows along the front have stone pediments, some curved and some angled. These, I thought, would be ideal for castings to be made. So here goes on the technique used.

Detail from the 3D model of the building showing the window pediments.

post-8613-0-78964000-1478512379_thumb.jpg

From this drawing the two types of pediment are isolated.

post-8613-0-78866200-1478512390_thumb.jpg

and these are incorporated into a box so that a master can be 3D printed to make the rubber casting moulds

post-8613-0-68747200-1478512399_thumb.jpg

The drawing .stl file is then uploaded to the  Shapeways web site for 3D printing in Frosted Ultra Detail. A few days later the 3D print arrives in a large box!

post-8613-0-70471200-1478512343_thumb.jpg

Using this a rubber mould using Sylmasta products is made

post-8613-0-22661300-1478512358_thumb.jpg

This is then used to cast the final pediments ready to incorporate in the office block model

post-8613-0-22447100-1478512369_thumb.jpg

I hasten to add that these components are the very first components to be made for the final model. The actual model has been designed and awaits the laser cutting process by Chris Dening at CD3D models of Harrogate.

Note that the clear liquid drops in the angled pediment are just water drops. I had just washed the castings before I took the photo and I had not dried them properly!

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

I have been asked how we produce some of our castings for the buildings on the Lime Street layout. Once the hotel model is complete my next project is the office block along the North side of the platforms. Again this is a large building almost a metre long and five storeys high. Some of the windows along the front have stone pediments, some curved and some angled. These, I thought, would be ideal for castings to be made. So here goes on the technique used.

Nice crisp castings!

Is that the range that ran parallel to Lord Nelson Street?  I remember them being demolished, and always thought they were the cheap rooms suitable for commercial travellers!

Nice crisp castings!

Is that the range that ran parallel to Lord Nelson Street?  I remember them being demolished, and always thought they were the cheap rooms suitable for commercial travellers!

Yes, it is the building that was on Lord Nelson Street. We only have two photos of the original building viewed from Lord Nelson Street. As we cannot find any photos from the station side, mainly because it is hidden by the station roof, we are making the front the same as the back originally was. Our model will also be mostly hidden by the station roof!

post-8613-0-87876400-1479395665_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I'm sure I don't need to tell you gentlemen that the Lord Nelson Street building was designed by William Tite and dated from 1849. The building is shown in the print below, and is the same one in the photo in the post above, although by then with three rather ugly storeys added. The print seems to comply with the photo quite well, although the west wing has been displaced by the new North Western hotel, and the balcony has disappeared. 

Also attached is a print showing the interior of the first Lime Street station. I don't think that the building on the left is part of William Tite's building as this dated to about the the same time as the northern iron and glass roof.

I hope this is of use, but suspect you have already seen these prints.

lord_n10.jpg

90780710.jpg

Edited by LMS2968

I'm sure I don't need to tell you gentlemen that the Lord Nelson Street building was designed by William Tite and dated from 1849. The building is shown in the print below, and is the same one in the photo in the post above, although by then with three rather ugly storeys added. The print seems to comply with the photo quite well, although the west wing has been displaced by the new North Western hotel, and the balcony has disappeared. 

Also attached is a print showing the interior of the first Lime Street station. I don't think that the building on the left is part of William Tite's building as this dated to about the the same time as the northern iron and glass roof.

I hope this is of use, but suspect you have already seen these prints.

lord_n10.jpg

90780710.jpg

Impressive. We had very little information on this building or its original use. Had I seen that picture before I started the model I may have done it differently. Though artists impressions sometimes were vastly different to the real thing. 

Impressive. We had very little information on this building or its original use. Had I seen that picture before I started the model I may have done it differently. Though artists impressions sometimes were vastly different to the real thing. 

Drawings now modified! I had the same ornate windows on the west wall. I would think it would be a plain wall if they chopped the west wing off when the hotel was built! 

Thanks for the information.

Seven years in the making. Five years of design and two years in the making! It is finally finished and will be going to the layout tomorrow. Hence the next set of photos will be of the hotel in place. But a few photos in my garage before it leaves!

post-8613-0-54469900-1480251652_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-41769700-1480251669_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-99388900-1480251680_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-20260200-1480251693_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-16279400-1480251705_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-44841300-1480251717_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-73276600-1480251728_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-40174500-1480251737_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-12573300-1480251748_thumb.jpg

post-8613-0-98703700-1480251757_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

OH, MY, GOD!!

I thought the station buildings were fantastic, the hotel is out of this world.

Every time I have seen Lime Street on the circuit the attention to detail fascinates me.

Superb modelling

Karl