BR Early crest

All, just recently I was watching some archive rail film of the 1960s. In one shot described as October 1960 a loco passed still bearing the early emblem. I thought that all would have been replaced with late crest by that date. If not what would be the latest date that an early crest would be present.

It depended on how long locos went between repaints. AKAIK locos were not brought in to have the crests replaced, the new crest only appeared as locos came in for scheduled repaints. For large, express locos this would have been fairly quick. For humble shunters it could be a lot longer. Many steamers were still wearing early crests when they were withdrawn. By 1961 the early crest would definitely have been in the minority but I am not suprised that examples were still about.

I think to clarify the DVD was Marsden Rail 33. A black five was hauled on the outskirts of York by an A3 the black five had the early crest - i suppose there were over 800 black fives

• RMweb Premium

At least one Southern region USA tank was withdrawn in 1967 still with the early crest, it was 30069 from memory.

I've also seen several pics of Stanier/Fairburn tanks with early crests and electrification flashes, dated around '64/65.

At least one Southern region USA tank was withdrawn in 1967 still with the early crest, it was 30069 from memory.

I've also seen several pics of Stanier/Fairburn tanks with early crests and electrification flashes, dated around '64/65.

Unfortunately I've lost my best steam loco photos, but had a nice one of an Ivatt 2-6-2T at Carlisle in August 1966 with the early crest. It was quite clean as well.

Paul Bartlett

One of the Fairburns now preserved on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite (42085 from memory) was withdrawn in 1967 still carrying the old emblem. I'm sure there was an earlier topic on here about the last engines to carry the old emblem, but I can't find it.

I have a photo of 'William Shakespeare' at Derby in 1963 with the early crest. It is only a guess but it could well have been the original 1951 paint job for the 'Festival of Britain' exhibition.

Possible as she never had a tender swop.

OzzyO.

HI

I have lots of photo of loco still carrying the early BR logo right up to the end of steam, i do rember an 08 at old oak common still having the late BR logo on it in the late 70's.

So their is no rules saying that you could not have a loco in the 60's with an early BR loco.

• 1 month later...

Found this while looking at a Flickr photostream linked to from the "Steam locos where they shouldn't be" topic. A Jubilee still with an early emblem in 1963 - late for an express engine. This engine always ran with the same tender, and doesn't seem to have visited works after 1960, so it would probably still have had the old emblem when withdrawn in September 1964.

• 1 year later...

Trying to make certain my c1959/60 stock is correct re the BR logo I have been trying to ascertain what logo Standard 3 tanks 82012/82014-82016 and Standard 4 2-6-0s 76061-76069 and 4-6-0s 75065-75069 were running with at that time. I have photos of the tanks taken in 1960 showing the later totem but have not traced any 1959 pictures of them. There are photos of other Standard 4s still with the early crest in 1960 (75070) and a mogul on the S&D in 1961.

To partly answer my own queries theres a photo of 82014 with the later totem in 1959 in the RCTS book covering the class, the book lists boiler changes which presumably could be taken as an indication of a paintshop visit as well - on this basis 82015 probably carried the early crest until Autumn 1959.

With regard to the Standard 4s both the 2-6-0s and 4-6-0s were subjected to a modification to the briquette tube feeder - if this was part of an overhaul than again a paintshop may may have occurred aound the same time. It seems to factor together with 76064 which is pictured in the relevant RCTS book "shortly after its first general overhaul" in Oct 1961, the mod being dated as being carried out the previous month.

On the other hand the mogul I referred to on the S&D in Sept 1961(*) with the early crest was 76065, yet that had the same mod carried out in March that year, one explanation maybe (that as according the RCTS book it was not one the class known to be fitted with the Whitaker tablet exchange apparatus) a tender exchange had taken place with the so fitted tender off 76064 which was having the mod carried out that month. In terms of the 4-6-0s they all appear to have had the mod in 1958 which seems to cancel the paintshop visit for them relating with that mod (theres a 1959 photo of 75077 in the RCTS book still with the early crest) - more significantly for the SR locos having a paintshop visit would have been boiler changes and addition of double chimneys at their first general overhaul (which for 75065-69)was between Dec 1960 and Oct 1961.

* date of photo quoted in Locos Illustrated no.26

To partly answer my own queries theres a photo of 82014 with the later totem in 1959 in the RCTS book covering the class, the book lists boiler changes which presumably could be taken as an indication of a paintshop visit as well - on this basis 82015 probably carried the early crest until Autumn 1959.

You can't necessarily equate boiler changes with repaints. In 1962 or '63 a 3F was given a boiler change at Derby but it was just given a clean-up and sent out again with the old crest on the tender.

Archived