Shuttle units

Northpoint

I'm considering using a shuttle unit on my Tremore layout and would like to know other people'sexperience with them.

I'm particularly interested in their ability to use slow speed,realisitc acceleration and deceleration and stopping.

My only experience is seeing the LGB in the toy shop shuttle around the shelf at head height at about a scale 100mph and stop suddenly - not what I require!!

Hello Northpoint,

I use one by AMR electronics on my 7mm test track. It works well, sounds like it will do what you want of it. This one works with reed switches between the rails. When I use it I attach the magnet/s to the bottom of the loco with Blue Tack.

You set the speed on your controller, then you have two dials on the box, one to set deceleration / acceleration, and one to set the dwell time before running back.

For what I need it for spot on.

OzzyO.

Hello Northpoint,

I use one by AMR electronics on my 7mm test track. It works well, sounds like it will do what you want of it. This one works with reed switches between the rails. When I use it I attach the magnet/s to the bottom of the loco with Blue Tack.

You set the speed on your controller, then you have two dials on the box, one to set deceleration / acceleration, and one to set the dwell time before running back.

For what I need it for spot on.

OzzyO.

My apologies for this post and I hope it doesn't detract from the original request.

Ozzyo, I have an AMR unit which I picked up for 20p but haven't a clue what it does.

The unit has "Auto Branch Line (Type BL1)" on the back.

There are no reeds or instructions and I don't even know if it works.

Please would you email me with any information you think may be useful?

Thanks in anticipation,

Jeff Rippon

Thnaks, all, for the posts.

I have looked at Heathcote Electronics and I'm sure they do what I want.

It was just a case of "trying before buying" as I don't want to invest a relatively large proportion of the budget on something that doesn't do what I want.

So, the general feeling seems to be that they work well.

• 7 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm updating a Z scale diorama to make it operational on a preservation society stand. It needs to be kept very simple and robust as well as being done on a low budget. 

The running line is 2 metres long and will have a Rokuhan 'shortie' operating. This currently runs on 3 x 1.5 volt AA batteries.

Is there a shuttle unit which will operate on 4.5v DC so there can be just one power supply to shuttle and track from a Wallwart type transformer?

I rebuilt an N gauge display using a  Blackcattech.co.uk shuttle which used a 7.5-20v AC or DC for the shuttle and a 9v DC for the track feed. They are offline for the holidays.

Any advice welcome. 

The MERG ATC Shuttle can be set to any desired DC track voltage, using one of several built-in user adjustments.

Not only can you set the maximum track voltage, but you can also adjust the acceleration and deceleration rates, and the dwell time at each end.

No sensors out on (or under) the track either - just cut the rails where you want the train to start decelerating at each end.

You can read a bit about it here:

https://www.merg.org.uk/merg_resources/atc.php

Um......3 x 1.5 v is 4.5 volts. Why not solder 2 wires to the battery connections? Or make two dummy batteries, one for the first and one for the last, with a screw in the end of each and connect the wires to those. That way you can always revert to batteries easily.

• RMweb Premium

In addition, the Merg ATC unit can also operate points and can be set up with sidings at each end, and even a passing loop in the middle. By adding more relay modules, the layout can be extended and complexity increased, althougn only one train can move at a time. A number of in-built scenarios are supplied with the ATC. If you require something more complex, this needs to be set up in a spreadsheet, and can then be programmed into the module.

Archived