Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

I’ve loved reading back through this post. Like many who have commented, I too am a massive fan of LotR and The Hobbit and the level of ‘realism’ you have achieved is amazing - I’m comparing it to photos of the Hobbiton set in New Zealand - excellent idea, very well executed.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

Finally picked up the Modeller today.  Article is fantastic.  My better half was very impressed by the modelling and the 'humour' involved too, despite being neither a rail enthusiast nor a Tolkien fan.

Are there any potential exhibition appearances in Scotland?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

Finally picked up the Modeller today.  Article is fantastic.  My better half was very impressed by the modelling and the 'humour' involved too, despite being neither a rail enthusiast nor a Tolkien fan.

Are there any potential exhibition appearances in Scotland?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

Loved this. Fan of this kind of thing.., remember Bramble End from a guy at St Ives Cambridgeshire... my young sons loved it then and were privileged to be allowed to operate it. We are now in Bristol and those “young” boys are now 20 and 17! I have had plans for an OnO3 fun layout for quite a few years but barbershop singing keeps getting in the way. Would love to chat further. Congratulations on the layout.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi Simon. I read about Hobbiton End in the RM and have read your entire topic on here as a result over the last few weeks. What a brilliant layout.

Thank you for sharing, especially for those of us outside your exhibiting radius who won't get to see it first hand. Definitely on my 'content I follow' list.

John.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Simon,

Deep breath and come back to be slightly less monosyllabic.

I found that one of the most offensive comments I have ever seen on here or in the railway press.

Your modelling is excellent and well observed. It is also the kind of thing to open up the hobby to new audiences. Nobody has the right to dictate what should or shouldn't be ths subject of a railway model.

What next, I don't like LNER. ban that too?

This insulting little man has probably never built anything worthy of public viewing. He probably has no imagination which is why he can't understand what he is looking at now.

It's anybody's right to not like something but he has no right to be so insulting and disparaging. I an just very surprised RM published such an unpleasant letter

I have edited this because I realised i had allowed myself to be drawn to the level of the original letter.

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There's always been a place for freelance prototypes and it was a path trodden by some of the most influential modellers in the early days of the hobby.

You have, admittedly, taken things a bit further than most but carried it off with great style and produced a layout that is very much a credible representation of a railway that might have been built to serve the needs of the shire-folk.

I find "real modelling" of the high standard you achieve far more interesting than something "prototypical" assembled, however well, using hardly anything beyond out-of-the box r-t-r / r-t-p and where the sum total of creativity extends little further than applying the stuff that covers those parts of the baseboard that the track doesn't.

More power to your elbow, Simon.

Regards

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

How often does something like this appear in a magazine like RM? I never buy it, but if the ratio of fantasy to "real" content on here is anything to go on, once every 5 years might be an overstatement.

If I did read RM, I bet I could write a very similar missive on the subject of depot layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I rated Simon's post showing the RM with a 'like' for one, simple, reason - I believe he was quite right to raise the matter.

Like others, I also think that the writer of the letter is wrong.  Most railway modelling is based around some flight of fantasy whether it be lines that never were, rewritten histories of lines that did exist, fake gauges (allowing for Padarn and the Glasgow Underground being close enough in 00).  To add some humour, and ingenuity, alongside modelling skill and craftsmanship is a good thing for our hobby.  At exhibitions I still meet too many of the 'anorak' brigade who manage to put off so many from the hobby.

I have shown the RM article of Hobbiton to a few friends, none of who are 'younger' or modellers, and they were highly impressed.

I cannot abide by the works of Tolkien nor many of those who followed in his footsteps but long may the layouts continue that follow in his, Pratchet's or others' imaginations.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 2

I picked up the new Railway Modeller today and found this little jem - 

attachicon.gifthumbnail_20181010_211213_resized.jpg

interesting opinion to discuss.

Best wishes

Simon

All layouts are a flight of the builders fantasy and imagination unless based on a real location, Ignore the comment it is a very narrow minded view and carry on with the excellent work.

E

What's the difference? Model a scene using imagination on a fantasy that doesn't now exist, or model a scene using imagination on a fantasy that never existed. All we've got to go on is books, maybe drawings and photos in both cases. I can understand Julian's beliefs, but most likely the world does not dance to his tune, so maybe he needs to get a broader perspective. RM, all magazines, are like a menu in a restaurant, you are lucky if you like everything listed.  If you are there for the modelling, you have a better chance than if you are there for the railway. Hobbiton is quite brilliant modelling, and stuff seems to stay on the track, so it passes as a railway too.

Totally agree with you all. At first I was really annoyed but i think that he has succeeded in making a fool of himself not RM or me.

If RM stopped publishing 'fantasy' models then arguably the only layouts included would be true to scale replicas of rear places. Nearly all model railways are a fantasy to a certain degree.

Thank you all again for reading my thread and you comments, always appreciated.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 3

Totally agree with you all. At first I was really annoyed but i think that he has succeeded in making a fool of himself not RM or me.

If RM stopped publishing 'fantasy' models then arguably the only layouts included would be true to scale replicas of rear places. Nearly all model railways are a fantasy to a certain degree.

Thank you all again for reading my thread and you comments, always appreciated.

Best wishes

Simon

On the contrary, RM have also been fools as they published the letter. Had I been the editor then the only destination for that letter would have been the recycling basket...

• Like 1

Sorry Simon,

Deep breath and come back to be slightly less monosyllabic.

I found that one of the most offensive comments I have ever seen on here or in the railway press.

Your modelling is excellent and well observed. It is also the kind of thing to open up the hobby to new audiences. Nobody has the right to dictate what should or shouldn't be ths subject of a railway model.

What next, I don't like LNER. ban that too?

This insulting little man has probably never built anything worthy of public viewing. He probably has no imagination which is why he can't understand what he is looking at now.

It's anybody's right to not like something but he has no right to be so insulting and disparaging. I an just very surprised RM published such an unpleasant letter

I have edited this because I realised i had allowed myself to be drawn to the level of the original letter.

Colin and Simon

Firstly with Hobbiton what is not to like, railways + Tolkien two of my interests.

I also like all types of layouts from the outstanding ones like Lime Street to the Hornby Dublo 3 rail seen at some shows. I equally enjoy going to finescale shows and the small local shows. Nothing wrong with a morning out watching model railways, or a day out at large shows

There are things I dislike, but like most just pass them buy, though modern Sci Fi styles normally are not really my cup of tea, but the youngsters love them and take a great deal of skill to produce.

Simon

What is volume two going to be, Elrond could make a delightful scene 

On the contrary, RM have also been fools as they published the letter. Had I been the editor then the only destination for that letter would have been the recycling basket...

No, I think they've stimulated a debate, which was quite possibly the point. I bet they've been deluged with responses agreeing or disagreeing with the sentiment expressed (mostly the latter, I would expect, but maybe the kind of people who write to RM are more regressive than I would imagine).

For the record, I would say that this kind of thing is perfectly suited to mainstream magazines, and shows a load of things that you wouldn't see on a cookie cutter GWR BLT or diesel loco fuel point layout.

And the not so thinly veiled suggestion that this could only be of interest to children is pretty offensive.

• Like 2

And the not so thinly veiled suggestion that this could only be of interest to children is pretty offensive.

got to me as well, what I have actually found at shows is that although children, younger viewers like the layout, it captures the imagination of a very wide range of ages. This is something that has really surprised me over the few years we have been exhibiting it.

Personally, I think that the massive advantage of our hobby is that there is space and potential for everybody from the small child with a circle of track that is set up on the floor to the highest level of detail modellers. 

I also think that on occasion, railway modellers are too in our own box, the techniques and resources that can be acquired from other streams of the model making hobby is enormous - painting and weathering from military modellers/figure painting from war gamers to mane but two!

Best wishes

Simon

Obviously this person has not seen the Scratchy Bottom Railway based on a Rowland Emett theme either, which I believe is at Warley this year.

I think fantasy layouts are great, they make me smile :imsohappy:

Keep up the good work Simon, it makes the world a better place.

• RMweb Gold

Oh if we listened to everyone who thinks nothing but their particular interest should be published ;)

A magazine for every company?, every period?

Some people just won't accept that the very diversity of interests is what makes the magazines viable. To be honest if you like it and Steve Flint liked it enough to publish then it's succeeded, oh and as this thread and the steady stream watching your layout at shows there are a few more of us ;)

I get similar comments about my foreign layouts at shows, unnecessarily loud comments about, its foreign or this is a British model exhibition. Oh well ;)

I reckon RM published it because they know there will be support for their choice in published articles :)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1