Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

• RMweb Gold

I should never be left alone with new toys, especially something as beautiful as this was.

4ae1c064bb568a55811f82fa603488e3.jpg

Having got to this stage, I've discovered no one seems to do the 'Pullman' lettering. Where's that nice man from Railtec?!

Pix

Any further progress on this, piccies would be most welcome please?

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Evening folks,

... I'll stick some more bits up once I actually finish something!

Cheers,

Pix

Another 2 years until the next post then? You've been spending too much time around Bryn and taken on his work rate:p

Being serious, looks like the layout is going along very nicely, look forward to seeing the finished article

Love the idea of the working tipper.

• RMweb Gold

You might not post very often but it's a cracking post when you do. Loads of really interesting stuff Pix.

I'd be interested in more details on the remotered 22s, I also have a brace which perform pretty well but the build quality is such that I have limited faith as to how long that will last.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening folks,

Still here and still quietly plodding away with things in the background. I tend to have a look at the forum everyday but get sidetracked by the seemingly endless amount of RTR announcements that are happening at the moment. I find it all a bit bemusing! All these promised models are very exciting, but they're not really any good to me until I can buy them are they? Anyway, I digress!

Sort of, but nothing really photogenic! All of the basic colours are now finished and it's all varnished, but stalled at the decaling stage - initially as I thought no one did them, until some kind sole pointed out that Fox did. I've now got a set and no reason to get it finished, expect I find putting transfers on models tedious. I will finish it this Christmas... going to Warley last weekend reminded me it's been floating around half finished for almost two years.

(BTW - Any chance of a Seventies Spotting Days in South Wales please Kevin?!)

I've not been entirely idle over the last year or so - probably most note worthy is that I've been pushing on with Parkend Marsh Sidings. It's made a breif appearence on the forum but I'll post something a bit more in-depth if there's interest. Most people have probably heard me harp on about this at some point, but the Marsh Sidings were originally built as an interchange between the railway and the tramways that went deep into the Forest of Dean. I'm modelling it in its twilight days, between 1968 and 1973, when the tramway had long gone and the sidings were used for loading coal and ballast by lorry. I cheated on the baseboards and bought them from Model Railway Solutions in Poole and over the last two years I've laid the track, wired it, made it look presentable and now just enjoying shuffling wagons about to get the running up to scratch. Nearly there, and this winter I hope to move onto the scenic side of things. Here's a quick photo of the layout doing its best impression of a dumping ground this evening.

5108eec828ce420b532c1e66b399d8cb.jpgL]

The layout party piece will be (hopefully!) working tipper lorries. Most of the summer I've been tinkering with this and I'm now at the stage where my little test rig lorry reverses in, decelerates to a stop, pauses for a moment, backs up to the wagon at a slower rate, pauses for unloading, before taking off again to a off-scene bit. Next step is to swap the test lorry for a proper one (currently awaiting some etches) and add the mechanism to make it tip its load into the wagon. I had a slight rethink on the operation of this recently - originally it was to be controlled by the DCC controller and would require the operator the activate the reversing/unloading/driving off cycle with the press of a function key, as I'd planned to actually load the wagons from the lorry. Doing this for 8 hours straight, over 2 days at an exhibition will be mind-numbing so I've dediced to automate it, with the wagon it loads into having a false floor. It'll have the added bonus of being something moving on scene whilst I shuffle off to do something in the fiddle yard. Currently it does a cycle every 3 minutes which is about right I think.

I've also been working on quite a lot of rolling stock for Parkend. Firstly the Farish 25/1 turned up which I'd been really looking forward to. I think the model is very good, although it shares the slightly iffy cab shape as it's 4mm brother. Luckily Bachmann fixed the bodyside grille issue, which would of been tricky to fix. First one completed was 5227 which had a spell on the WR and made it to Parkend at least twice during it's short stay on the region. I've also got 5181 on the workbench at the moment, one of the four boilerless 25/1s. Let's hope 2015 brings a 25/3!

7258183F-42FE-42B0-8E78-C5A7E4718BF0.jpg

5227 is more or less out the box apart from adding Association wheelsets, weathering/painting and carving the fuel tanks about to add a bit of depth. As they come they're rather flat.

2DFBB0F8-23C1-4792-A01A-3A193711174B.jpg

I've also got a pair of Dapol 22's, which fit into the Dean Forest vibe nicely. Much like the Dapol Western, they're certainly accurate models but the build quality is terrible. Motors in both have been replaced Faulhaber coreless ones which transform them to silky, shunting locos from the jumpy dogs they were before. Body-wise they're unchanged so far, but I fancy doing one of the later ones that were built with the headcodes.

Type 3s were rarer in the Forest but certainly appeared in later days, so I've modelled 6606 in it's early 70s state. It's a standard issue Farish product but lowered, fuel tanks carved around again and a few Shawplan bits thrown in for good measure.

FEBC892A-20B8-45F5-8E93-F8121C0B6C9D.jpgL]

Running again was a bit iffy so I've replaced Farish's motor with some sourced from China via eBay. Sadly the link is now dead so I can't share, but they were only around £2 a throw and feel much better at slow speed running compared to the Farish lump.

Wagons for the layout are also coming together. After years of bullying and nagging, Bryn very kindly sent me a batch of Herring ballast hoppers to build which are almost done. Herrings are the signature wagon for Parkend and there was some kind of beer-fuelled agreement of 'You make me some etches, and I'll build the layout!' a while back. I'm indebted to Bryn for making these available and certainly owe him big time. Buffers are 3D prints from the 2mm Shop and all they're waiting for is decals, which I found today that John Isherwood now supplies. Result.

FC652B20-592E-44E6-A442-BA60A9C8A1D9.jpg[/url]

Also finally completed were a rake of Stephen Harris Dogfish. They're lovely, well-designed kits but due to the complex nature of the prototype, soldering up all the bracing and handrails were enough to push a man over the edge, especially when you're doing 7 wagons in a batch. Never again.

BDE74ED0-7EF3-4792-B8DB-C1C6703B0DDD.jpg[/

Up to this point it probably seems that I've been on the straight-and-narrow, soley focusing on Parkend and related wares. Fat chance. Characteristically for me I've still been working away on all manner of things that really don't fit in with any project I've got planned. Below is the latest batch, which I've spent the last fortnight painting. From left to right there's a trio of Met-Cam Units, a Mk.1 LFK, a Met-Cam TBSL, a couple of original batch Warship, a couple of final batch Warships, a couple of Brush 4's, a pair of choppers and a whole brace of wagons. It's fair to say I don't want to see masking tape or thinners for a long time. All that's left now is the 'joyous' task of putting transfers on them all.

d21ca94d5794deb66ffea6ebd757b2b9.jpg[/

Not modelling related, but certainly featuring railways, my best friend and I recently spent two weeks wandering around Japan. Beautiful country, beautiful people, beautiful food, beautiful sights. If you ever have the chance and the slightest inclination, go!

14FEEDD7-17F9-417F-AB9B-082FCC334C92.jpg

B6997139-1E38-4A97-80C2-691B9FDCF189.jpg

I think that's more or less everything of note... I'll stick some more bits up once I actually finish something!

Cheers,

Pix

Great post and a good read too catching up with your modelling ideas. Still look forward to more shots of the grey/blue pullman with and without her transfers. Still sitting on the fence about 2mm over n gauge for a watching the trains go by layout based 1967/68 on the WR. I suspect a firm and final decision is very close on which of the four modelling projects will see it through to completion and which three will hit eBay.

As for Seventies Spotting Days through Wales, have been trying to source material for several years with little luck on finding shots west of Cardiff in "sunshine", so have set aside the very best shots for a couple of chapters in Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered I & II which should hit the shops in 2015 if we don't lose anymore printers or bookbinders that is, have sourced two new printers and binders with a view to taking on a third, so we don't get caught again should one go down again. Plans only at present for two more in the Seventies Spotting Days series one each on ECML and WCML, although the latter has "black spots" too ie Rugby, Nuneaton, Stafford, Stoke, Warrington, Wigan and Glasgow Central would you believe! Everyone has shots at Euston, Willesden, Crewe, Preston and Carlisle though, will keep going on this one even so, although the ECML is looking very good just now for a final edit soon.

Anyways back to the grey/blue pullman now that everyone thinks I have hijacked your post, see the cover shot for Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered, an 8 car set rather than the two 6 car sets with jumpers.

Kevin

post-10498-0-20422600-1417512793_thumb.jpg

Edited by Strathwood

• RMweb Gold

There are a lot in interesting locations to model in the Forest. I used to follow a lot of the old tramway tracks and railway lines. I shall be interested to see how you do this.

Don

• RMweb Gold

That's cos its Wales!

I went to Landore and Margam a couple of times and even Radyr and the valleys once in glorious sunshine, but no camera...

Likewise I have also been to most South and North Wales locations in pouring rain too!

Has anyone else sheltered in the cabs of locos at Barry during a thunderstorm?

Kevin

Edited by Strathwood

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks for the comments!

Another 2 years until the next post then? You've been spending too much time around Bryn and taken on his work rate:p

Bah - I've been doing bits but most of it is just big batch production which doesn't really make for a good reading. Posts would be a bit like Jesse's Diet - "This week, I have most been swearing at overpriced, out of date transfers!" and the like.

How's the family Mr P? All well with the little'un?

I'd be interested in more details on the remotered 22s, I also have a brace which perform pretty well but the build quality is such that I have limited faith as to how long that will last.

I'll get some photos when I'm at home Jerry - it's a bit of a bodge at the moment but one of the slightly larger Faulhaber motors (either 10mm or 12mm diameter?) that drives to one bogie and the other one had been stripped down to free-wheel. The motor is a snuggly fit into the Dapol chassis block and accepts the universal joint from the old Dapol lump. Greasing the universal joint seems to get rid of most of the grinding noises and I could just about build one concentric bogie from the two that came with each locos. The wheels are certainly a bit pants, on a rolling road you can see how out of true they are. Andy Carlson rewheeled one with Association 08 wheels which may be a better option. 

Still sitting on the fence about 2mm over n gauge for a watching the trains go by layout based 1967/68 on the WR. I suspect a firm and final decision is very close on which of the four modelling projects will see it through to completion and which three will hit eBay.

Doing a Hydraulic era in 2mm or N gauge now is very easy with the vast array of RTR that's available and to a decent quality. The biggest gaps to me are the Mk2B/Cs (but should be bodge-able with the windows from a Mk2A dropped into the Mk2Es when they arrive), a decent Hymek (The Dapol body is OK - the roof looks a little peaked and the glazing needs redoing to get rid of the silly wipers - but that chassis is just dire!) and Falcon. That said, when Falcon is in your top three missing RTR items then you know we're in a good position!

Doing it in a smaller scale helps do something realistic in a practical size too.

As for Seventies Spotting Days through Wales, have been trying to source material for several years with little luck on finding shots west of Cardiff in "sunshine", so have set aside the very best shots for a couple of chapters in Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered I & II which should hit the shops in 2015

It goes seem odd how few photographs there are beyond Cardiff, looking through the various bits I've scavenged from the internet those which looks to me to be publishable are close to nil. There must be some out there somewhere?! There's a chap on Flickr (KDH Archive, I think?) who had some very nice photographs around Fishguard and Cardiff which were superb, not sure if he's worth contacting? I'll send you some links when I find them.

Anyways back to the grey/blue pullman now that everyone thinks I have hijacked your post, see the cover shot for Seventies Diesel & Electric Days Remembered, an 8 car set rather than the two 6 car sets with jumpers.

That looks superb! I think I've worked out a way to do the Parlour Second which was my biggest concern, the only bit to work out now is how to glaze it in a way that matches the other vehicles. There's one window in the Kitchen First which is the right size and doesn't have the separate blinds so if I can find a way of replicating that I'm sorted. Sadly my attempts of clear casting in the past have not ended well, I may send it to those nice people at CMA Mouldform to see if they could manage it.

BTW, It's too long since we had a beer ;)

Yes! Something in early new year perhaps?

Here's a few more bits that are almost done with have been hanging around for a while.

430148784d1650f4c7211317c7aa1d9a.jpg

Firstly a ex-GW Monster, based upon W599 on Paul Bartlett's site. Essentially an Ultima kit with Association bogies and other various gubbins.

Also in the theme of NPCCS, one of BR Scenery Vans from a Farish GUV. New buffers, centre door/windows filled and transfers from CCT. Still needs some fittings on the solebar. Might also carve in the vents if I'm feeling brave at some point.

2fc4a95d3340e0e2427f97efff2a2a75.jpg

A couple of Type 2s as well - 5181 is a solid Parkend machine and one of the ex-NE batch without boilers. 5081 is a nod to 24081 which was in superb form at the MHR diesel gala earlier in the year. Both Farish with a few tweaks - the 24 has had the roof beading corrected from Farish' mistake.

5b0459973e47d0bf2f9db55a663c4e13.jpg

15594cf4c0b84475508437b420cecdde.jpg

Finally, something a bit different and in need of a little explanation. In his teens my dad and his amigos formed a pirate radio station that would broadcast psychedelic tunes across the Thames Valley. In the dead of night, they'd drive out into the woodlands in their Mini, unhook the battery and fire up Radio Andromeda - I think they saw themselves as a land based Radio Caroline. Anyway, I've always thought that Andromeda always sounds like one of the early class 40 names (Unnoficially 40134 ended up as Andromeda later on) and had an idea for a slightly different Christmas present for Dad this year.

154b1775f8fd56aedc221128a3e9e9ab.jpg

Let's just hope he doesn't find this thread.

Right, CEO has just walked in the room. Back to work!

Cheers,

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Thanks folks for the comments!

Bah - I've been doing bits but most of it is just big batch production which doesn't really make for a good reading. Posts would be a bit like Jesse's Diet - "This week, I have most been swearing at overpriced, out of date transfers!" and the like.

How's the family Mr P? All well with the little'un?

I'll get some photos when I'm at home Jerry - it's a bit of a bodge at the moment but one of the slightly larger Faulhaber motors (either 10mm or 12mm diameter?) that drives to one bogie and the other one had been stripped down to free-wheel. The motor is a snuggly fit into the Dapol chassis block and accepts the universal joint from the old Dapol lump. Greasing the universal joint seems to get rid of most of the grinding noises and I could just about build one concentric bogie from the two that came with each locos. The wheels are certainly a bit pants, on a rolling road you can see how out of true they are. Andy Carlson rewheeled one with Association 08 wheels which may be a better option. 

Its things like the comments about build quality and dodgy mechanisms that concern me about 2mm/N gauge as at present my collection of locos have spent most of their time sat in their original packaging awaiting the day when I get cracking on something again. That said I am not into shunting etc I much prefer watching the trains go by, listening to something suitable musically and doing my bit for wine, whisky or beer tasting for the nation as part of my own quality control policy... So perhaps the thoughts of being forced to rig up new mechanisms may not apply. Sorry chaps not my bag building such items, much prefer detailing, weathering, scenery, buildings etc.

Doing a Hydraulic era in 2mm or N gauge now is very easy with the vast array of RTR that's available and to a decent quality. The biggest gaps to me are the Mk2B/Cs (but should be bodge-able with the windows from a Mk2A dropped into the Mk2Es when they arrive), a decent Hymek (The Dapol body is OK - the roof looks a little peaked and the glazing needs redoing to get rid of the silly wipers - but that chassis is just dire!) and Falcon. That said, when Falcon is in your top three missing RTR items then you know we're in a good position!

I am sure Farish or DJM will pick up on Falcon at some point or other as I am sure Heljan did'nt exactly catch a cold over theirs even though it was in the much larger 4mm side of the market. As I would aim for the1967/68 era the problems of Mk2B/Cs is not one I need to worry about, however if I built up a second teir of stock to run 1975-1977 to find an excuse to run Classes 25, 31, 37, 47, 52, 50 and perhaps the odd Peak, 40,  or pairs of 20s and 24s on specials all in TOPS blue, Westerns excepted of course just scruffy blue there. Substitute a brand new HST and or a prototype HST & APT for the Blue Pullmans and we could be in business. Then of course the concerns over Mk2s doe come into play, but we could be another couple of years before those concerns have any real meaning as the layout needs to be built first to get some trains on the go.

Doing it in a smaller scale helps do something realistic in a practical size too.

My missus has suggested something like this too on another matter...

It goes seem odd how few photographs there are beyond Cardiff, looking through the various bits I've scavenged from the internet those which looks to me to be publishable are close to nil. There must be some out there somewhere?! There's a chap on Flickr (KDH Archive, I think?) who had some very nice photographs around Fishguard and Cardiff which were superb, not sure if he's worth contacting? I'll send you some links when I find them.

If only everyone who I have approached said yes and did'nt think we should pay them enough to clear their mortgage of spend time as tax exile. Instead be happy with a bundle of free books otherwise I cannot justify publishing a number of titles without hiking up the prices, which in turn deters buyers on a downward spiral.

That looks superb! I think I've worked out a way to do the Parlour Second which was my biggest concern, the only bit to work out now is how to glaze it in a way that matches the other vehicles. There's one window in the Kitchen First which is the right size and doesn't have the separate blinds so if I can find a way of replicating that I'm sorted. Sadly my attempts of clear casting in the past have not ended well, I may send it to those nice people at CMA Mouldform to see if they could manage it.

Yes! Something in early new year perhaps?

Here's a few more bits that are almost done with have been hanging around for a while.

As a tease you have shown the grey/blue Pullman in the background to a couple of the shots, with or without the glazing going back in it would be nice to see what the set looks like please.

Kevin

PS Great nameplate by the way.

430148784d1650f4c7211317c7aa1d9a.jpg

Firstly a ex-GW Monster, based upon W599 on Paul Bartlett's site. Essentially an Ultima kit with Association bogies and other various gubbins.

Also in the theme of NPCCS, one of BR Scenery Vans from a Farish GUV. New buffers, centre door/windows filled and transfers from CCT. Still needs some fittings on the solebar. Might also carve in the vents if I'm feeling brave at some point.

2fc4a95d3340e0e2427f97efff2a2a75.jpg

A couple of Type 2s as well - 5181 is a solid Parkend machine and one of the ex-NE batch without boilers. 5081 is a nod to 24081 which was in superb form at the MHR diesel gala earlier in the year. Both Farish with a few tweaks - the 24 has had the roof beading corrected from Farish' mistake.

5b0459973e47d0bf2f9db55a663c4e13.jpg

15594cf4c0b84475508437b420cecdde.jpg

Finally, something a bit different and in need of a little explanation. In his teens my dad and his amigos formed a pirate radio station that would broadcast psychedelic tunes across the Thames Valley. In the dead of night, they'd drive out into the woodlands in their Mini, unhook the battery and fire up Radio Andromeda - I think they saw themselves as a land based Radio Caroline. Anyway, I've always thought that Andromeda always sounds like one of the early class 40 names (Unnoficially 40134 ended up as Andromeda later on) and had an idea for a slightly different Christmas present for Dad this year.

154b1775f8fd56aedc221128a3e9e9ab.jpg

Let's just hope he doesn't find this thread.

Right, CEO has just walked in the room. Back to work!

Cheers,

Pix

• Like 1