Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

How has it gone with transfers etc on all of those very blue projects? Likewise with the progress on the eight car Pullman set?

Evening Kevin! In a word - slowly. I've got the numbers on all the things in the photo, but after a couple of evenings of lining up individual digits, I needed to do something else to save my sanity. The dust shall probably gather on them now and I'll have a purge when I get bored of the sight of them. That said, I need something to work on at Nottingham in the 2mm Cave this weekend, so I might try and be proactive for once.

The 8-car Blue Pullman has had a few more coats of primer - I really need to buy another 6-car set to give me the Parlour First donors to progress any further. I'd of taken the plunge over the weekend but I had an email from Hattons saying my pre-ordered Farish 31s are in the post so it'll have to wait another month. I have managed to finally finish and submit a sheet of etched bits (File was started in September 2013!) that contains some details for it on there, so the project isn't completely stationary. I really don't want to see AutoCAD again for a while.

4fcdfadc54e50d90678c3ce8b89ddcee.jpg

Modelling time has also been spent in playing trains - something I've not done for a long time. To be honest, sometimes you forget they're meant to move!

9e54d73a375d537afdce207f7ebeb0e6.jpg

Must say I could go along with several Class 123s to make up a decent rake myself, might be tempted to do a couple of coaches though still in green as mixed sets were to the fore in late 1967 early 1968.

The delights of post-steam, pre-TOPS scene! I really like the in green, although I'm not sure about the yellow gangway version. Some of the all blue/grey sets seemed to run in interesting formation with odd centre cars running between two units. The 124s were very stylish units too.

Cheers,

Steve

PS - Not worthy of a separate post, but I've spent the last week or so on the Mk.1 Lift-a-Majig Prototype for the moving lorry shown a few posts back. Based around a linear stepper motor and powered by an Arduino, this provides the tipping action for Parkend's centre piece. The etch mentioned above contains the first iteration of the lorry so I'm hoping to be tippling by Easter. Here's hoping it works...!

365880d2e89e0d7843af4bcd6066ccab.jpg

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Another cracking post Pix but you can't leave us hanging - what's on the etched sheet. There are several wagon underframes and what looks like an eight couple chassis amongst other things.

Come on matey, spill the beans:-)

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

The class 22 hauled train looks lovely.

Come on Andy a number of us have our eyes upon your thread too for inspiration, how about an update there too, please?

All of this keeps leaning me back towards 2mm/N gauge and the Western Region. Might bite the bullet and list a host of 4mm stuff on eBay tomorrow as a result of all of this, and get cracking with clearing the area above my bookshelves for that promissed layout.

You see the power of some good updates lads...

Kevin

Another cracking post Pix but you can't leave us hanging - what's on the etched sheet. There are several wagon underframes and what looks like an eight couple chassis amongst other things.

Jerry

Looks like a Class 14 chassis to me Jerry - I recognise the rods and bufferbeams.

I'm glad that it's not just me that takes months to get etch designing finished and turned into shiny metal - there are projects on my current sheet that were started at least a year ago!

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Looks like a Class 14 chassis to me Jerry - I recognise the rods and bufferbeams.

I'm glad that it's not just me that takes months to get etch designing finished and turned into shiny metal - there are projects on my current sheet that were started at least a year ago!

Andy

I think you are right Andy. I can see the cranks at the top as well now. I've just picked up one of the NCB blue 14s cheap. Hmmmm......

Jerry

Thanks gents!

Okey dokey - from left to right, top to bottom we have a class 14 chassis and detailing bits, a Flat ED body for the Association chassis (Inspired by David Long's model), wheel inserts for the Dapol Western, TTA inner chassis for the Farish model, chassis for Parkend's lorry, (then on the next 'row' down), bits to convert the Farish 12T van into a BR Banana Van, the body for Parkend's lorry, a BR MATCH wagon kit, NBL conversion bits for the Farish Warship, 12' Chassis for the Dapol 21T open and the tipper body for the lorry. Also on the sheet, but not in view are some Warship bogie inners to make some dummy locos, a jig for drilling out the holes in Warship wheels, a dig for drilling out the handrails on the Dapol Western and, finally, some headlights for a refurbished Nederlandse Spoorwegen 1300. As you do.

There's a whole load of other stuff that didn't make it this time around, but ready for the next sheet. Expect it around 2018.

The class 22 hauled train looks lovely.

Thanks Andy - Blueball is superb! I'm not sure how I missed it before, but it all looks very natural.

All of this keeps leaning me back towards 2mm/N gauge and the Western Region. Might bite the bullet and list a host of 4mm stuff on eBay tomorrow as a result of all of this, and get cracking with clearing the area above my bookshelves for that promissed layout.

If that means more pre-TOPS, WR books from your stable then I'm happy to nurture the bullet biting.

You're definitely not alone Andy - I do find it hard to get the mojo to spend hours in CAD after sitting in front of a PC all day at work!

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 1

P.S. Your dwellings have some very odd fenestration.

I didn't know you did character profiling Rich. ;)

As a test etch, it's a little slapdash in places - if I ever get to a position where I'm producing production etches then I'd put a bit more effort into making it neater.

In other news, a couple of Curate's Eggs arrived today. I imagine they're almost as old as the period I model.

ba5f5638a218b26e4241c197e8da53bf.jpg

Pix

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As a test etch, it's a little slapdash in places - if I ever get to a position where I'm producing production etches then I'd put a bit more effort into making it neater.

In other news, a couple of Curate's Eggs arrived today. I imagine they're almost as old as the period I model. ba5f5638a218b26e4241c197e8da53bf.jpg

Pix

Blimey they are out of the Ark, certainly late seventies - the MTK Western could be earlier. I built one of the Hoovers, thought it was the bees knees at the time but, in truth, it was pretty awful!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

In other news, a couple of Curate's Eggs arrived today. I imagine they're almost as old as the period I model.

ba5f5638a218b26e4241c197e8da53bf.jpg

Pix

Hi Pix,

There is no 'Curates Egg' about any of the 3 models you have shown!

The Hoover was first available around 1974, the Western a couple of years later. The HST seems to have been from about 1978.

None of them go together well!

I've built them all and cursed them well and truly!

The Atlas chassis for the Hoover and Western were as rare as hens teeth and didn't like the weight of the bodies.

Yes - they would haul a good load but didn't get up any great speed.

The HST was another chunk of metal shaped roughly like an HST! 

I tried both Atlas and Life Like chassis in the ones I made - same problem didn't get up enough speed!

The Life Like chassis soon died in protest to the weight imposed on them.

Put them in the cupboard and forget wasting the time it would take to make something even remotely as good as the RTR ones that are available now.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Pix

Are you planning on opening a 2mm museum?   :scratchhead:

PS. There's always something interesting on your thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That is awesome!

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh at at exhibition some time.

Oddly enough I was at Parkend today taking the little one for a train ride (and to meet Peter Rabit...) will be good to see how the place used to look.

If only the sharpness bridge was still there and I'd be over the Dean Forest Railway a lot more often!

• Like 1

That's magnificent Pix. I look forward to seeing the completed scene and, duly chagrined, with have to think about something similar in 4mm: I've no excuse now... ;)

Adam

• Like 1

Thanks all. Another two days of running in and it's trundling about quite happily, I think I might try and start some landscaping this afternoon to blend it all in.

Oddly enough I was at Parkend today taking the little one for a train ride (and to meet Peter Rabit...) will be good to see how the place used to look.

Yeah, yeah... 'The little one' wanted to see some trains. ;)

There's an apocryphal story of the Churnet Valley holding a Peppa Pig gala on the same day the nearest pub had a Hog Roast on the go. That'd take some world-class parenting to explain. How true it is, I don't know, but it made me howl with laughter when I heard.

That is an impressive bit of modelling. It should look very effective when it is finished. (Incidentally the Youtube clip of Hodbarrow Haematite mine that comes up on the suggested offerings when your video ends is well worth a watch.)

Thanks Graham - there's some impressive track work in that clip! I've been meaning to ask - what ever happend to your wagon kit range? The first loco kit I ever built was the J52 which I think was one of yours, long time ago now but it worked well!

That's magnificent Pix. I look forward to seeing the completed scene and, duly chagrined, with have to think about something similar in 4mm: I've no excuse now... ;)

Thanks Adam - in 4mm I think you could take it a lot further, especially with the steering. I'd recommend the Arduino for operation - your limit really is your imagination, things like adding in-sync sound or a LCD display of how many scale tons have been tipped are easy add ins. The Adafruit range of shields are great and simplify the coding for a complete dunce like me.

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 1