Pixie's Workbench - 2mm/ft Diesels and a 305mm/ft Cavalier

Pixie

Blimey - you have been busy! Makes my solitary Christmas 'palbrick' seem rather insignificant!

Cheers Andy - I wish this had all been over Christmas, I've of rivalled some of BR's workshops if so! I went through a massive quiet patch up until the clocks went back, I think modelling seasons restarted then!

Good to see the (in)famous Reading General sign at last.

One day it'll be something to be proud of but I think most people still think I'm mad until then! ;)

Wine has worn off then ;).

Ergh... I apologies for calling you my love by text....

Nothing good comes from working in an office in front of a computer, get out while you can! Ideally into a job where you can take modelling with you! :D

Oh I don't know James... I get to see the delights of canvas and easel warehouses in Wareham and Glastonbury. Besides, there's various eye-candy about, although sadly not in the all-male supply chain team where I am. Every church needs it's gargoyles I guess. ;)

Love the sign and thinking of railwayana I have an original Framed LMS/GWR poster at my parents I really should retrieve and put up in the flat.

Sounds like a nice piece to have on the wall there Tom - anorakana around the house can look quite tasteful I think!

I am really looking forward to seeing those mineral wagons, of course they would be more than welcome on Highclere (if it ever gets to the stage they can be run!)

Hiya Julia - Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year. Very impressed by the trees! Certainly up for a good running session on Highclere, I think the dieselisation would be good fun too!

I enjoyed the day at the Bluebell and I was glad to help. Here are a couple of photos taken on the day...

Nice snaps, they do act as a reminder I need to join a gym though! Maybe 2012 is the year...

Keep the progress comming though, is the point for that layout you mentioned?

Points are all prototypes just to get the principles down really. Once I'm happy with how they're coming out and that they shouldn't cause any issues then I'll move onto a layout. Still keep meaning to do Parkend, maybe that should be another resolution!

Can you teach me to weather like that please? Those wagons look amazing!

Cheers! I'll do a little write up if people are interested? There's not really a set way that they're done, it's just a case of shuffling around powders and enamels until they look kind of correct! Quite a few did end up being dipped in Nitromors a few times when it didn't all go to plan mind!

Those wagons are lovely, Stephen- I admire your patience in building the things.

Thanks Brian!

I wish the Dapol 4mm Grain was as good as that N one appears to be.

I was really surprised by the 2mm one, I had always written it off as just a shot down 4mm one with it's iffy length and highly dubious chassis but it they've done a top job of it. There are a few things that could be improved (finer W irons, deeper axlebox detail and so on) but they're about the best Dapol could be expected tp do with mass produced injection mouldings and the N gauge standard wheels used.

Happy New Year

To you too Brian. :)

Yes, they are rather good. How have you done them, Pix?

Thanks Martin - that's really something, especially coming from yourself. :) Like I said above, perhaps I'll do a little write up?

When I see work like that, its makes me wish I was still modelling the 2mm.

No reasons not too eh Trev? How's the decorating going by the way? Hope it's close to the end so the modelling can be restarted soon!

Oh dear.. shame, as they're part of the real thing, I'm afraid! Sorry Pix!

OhCrap.png?1322723607

Nuts - I should know from previous experience to try and not be clever! Sorry Bernard, I thought they were simply there to help assembly and make a nice strong join between the four walls. Do you know of any prototype shots at all? I did have a quick look online but trying to find high-up, looking down shots of the insides fo the vehciles when empty proved to be a bit tricky. Hopefully some square-section plasticard should sort out my error!

Anyway, back to work...

Pix

• Like 3

Nice work with the snowploughs - Its annoying the 'concave' bit has been carried over from the 4mm versions - its a huge error IMO , but very few people seem to spot it (magazine reviewers certainly didnt).

Ive been doing the same fix on my Flangeway snowploughs - 3 years and counting ! - fill , sand , fill , sand, not right , sand sand sand , fil fill fill sand fill grr. If your prototype has was stripes on the slopey bit as well as the nose bit , then it would be impossible to paint accurately without fixing the shape as youve done.

tfn

Jon

How do you intend doing the 3-link couplings Pix? I've just converted an entire train using the Mathieson Models ones. They look really good but it means permanently coupling two wagons, so anything beyond five or six becomes a bit unwieldy. I've used either Microtrains knuckles or Kato non-automatic knuckles (which are a but smaller) to couple each portion of the complete train. The train concerned is a mix of Fencehouses 21T hoppers and Farish 16T minerals (the new ones which are very good). I'd been told that the Mathieson couplers were a bit on the coarse side, but Alex Duckworth tried some, sent me some pictures and I was hooked. No good for a shunting plank, but great for fixed rakes. Highly recommended.

Alan

• RMweb Gold
Nice work with the snowploughs - Its annoying the 'concave' bit has been carried over from the 4mm versions - its a huge error IMO , but very few people seem to spot it (magazine reviewers certainly didnt).

Ive been doing the same fix on my Flangeway snowploughs - 3 years and counting ! - fill , sand , fill , sand, not right , sand sand sand , fil fill fill sand fill grr. If your prototype has was stripes on the slopey bit as well as the nose bit , then it would be impossible to paint accurately without fixing the shape as youve done.

tfn

Jon

We did correct most of the faults on the 4mm model when producing the NGS version - including the intersection between the angled upper surface and he vertical "blade" - but we did miss the concave side of the vertical blade. This is not easy to see unless the vehicle is studied from the right angle.

And as you say, no one spotted it in time to alter the tooling unfortunately.

Cheers

Ben A.

Evening all - sorry for the delay in replying, it's been a bit of a rubbish week at work. Year end has seemingly bought up a lot of concerns... well... concerns I've caused for other people. Not good. Not good at all. Hot date with some wine tonight me thinks!

Cheers Jon - those barrier vehicles of yours are a bit nice! The filling and filing is all good fun, although I've got a few concerns that there's a few bits that may have become a little rounded in the process. Hopefully the ploughs can get finished off soon, I need to work out where the lamp irons were on the Cardiff pair I'm doing and if they had the tunnel scrapper thingy that some seemed to have. I think the latter might be a later addition!

Those Dapol grain hoppers look nice. I wish they'd do them in 4mm instead of the old shorty ex Hornby Dublo one.

Hi David - Good to hear from you! How's Longcarse take two coming on? It's about time there was a 4mm Grain wagon available RTR, along with various other items. 21T MDV, Mk1 CCT, original Freightliner flats....

:yes: please.

All in good time!

Great stuff Pixie, we really must get you back into the light and 4mm modelling.................

Or is that heresey?

Evening Mark! Roath is still on the cards - one day it'll be finished, running well and at all the shows I promised it for (if they'll still have me!). Biggest issue at present it having somewhere to set it up all the time (my modelling den is only 9' long) and not being able to hire a vehicle to move it in yet. I think it'll undergo a fairly complete rebuild to get it how I'd like it though - the track certainly needs revisiting, as Craig will no doubt testify. Besides, I have to finish it otherwise the mocking from my local comrads will be deafening!

Well ill be amazed if he can resist the Hornby 42xx and 72xx :no:

I wouldn't mind one of the mega one - is that a 72xx?

I'm afraid he's ours now.......... :friends:

Jerry (hoping to see some of you at St Albans and/or Leamington later this month)

Should be there on Sunday Jerry, will come and say Hi! Should also have Clem with me who maybe carrying a Stormex form....

How do you intend doing the 3-link couplings Pix? I've just converted an entire train using the Mathieson Models ones. They look really good but it means permanently coupling two wagons, so anything beyond five or six becomes a bit unwieldy. I've used either Microtrains knuckles or Kato non-automatic knuckles (which are a but smaller) to couple each portion of the complete train. The train concerned is a mix of Fencehouses 21T hoppers and Farish 16T minerals (the new ones which are very good). I'd been told that the Mathieson couplers were a bit on the coarse side, but Alex Duckworth tried some, sent me some pictures and I was hooked. No good for a shunting plank, but great for fixed rakes. Highly recommended.

Hi Alan - I'll be using the Mathieson ones too and in true Blue Peter style...

gallery_6716_1269_125685.jpg

Top little product which I've stocked up on for the future. I think they maybe a little overscale but it's barely noticable, certainly much less visual impact than a Rapido or even a DG. I think there maybe something in trying to create scale 3-links, but I've got a feeling that they'll either be far too time consuming to build, far too fiddly to keep your sanity or far too weak to work.

Nice one Pix, quite inspirational stuff :good:

Cheers Bryn and sorry about the weekend. By the way, man needs some Herrings... any news?

We did correct most of the faults on the 4mm model when producing the NGS version - including the intersection between the angled upper surface and he vertical "blade" - but we did miss the concave side of the vertical blade. This is not easy to see unless the vehicle is studied from the right angle.

And as you say, no one spotted it in time to alter the tooling unfortunately.

Evening Ben - niggles aside it still seems to have gone down well if the second batch is anything to go by! Besides, it's stilll the best route to an accurate 'plough, there's a couple of kits out there that are dire! How's the Observation Saloon coming on? Looks to be very nice if the CAD images are anything to go by! Congratulations on the Queen Mary also, another example where the 2mm model is better than the 4mm. Association axles drop straight in for anyone thinking of a conversion.

Stunning work Pix...Always inspiring and your 2mmFS stuff is gonna produce one hell of a layout which I look forward to see...when you are ready to share it of course... ;)

One day, one day. Still need to find that Russian billionaire's daughter for the grand plan.

Now, where's that corkscrew....

Pix

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Crikey me. Stunning stuff there. I'm not up on the what's hot in the world of home casting, but to myuntrained eye (and its attendant tri-focals) this technique - and the level of detail offered by the casting liquid - looks it could be a boon to those (like me) who have no chance of seeing their obscure prototypes released in kit or RTR form. Obviously, I'm aware you're a talented modeller, but there has to be some kind of wider appreciation of your skill with this. So get writing an article, will you?

• Like 1

guess you like warships ;)

Warships are ace! ;-) If you get the chance it's well worth experiencing D821 up on the Severn Valley - we had a storming with Chris Guntrip back in the some when they had their unofficial diesel gala due to shortage of steam. Cut of power just before the tunnel, then notching it right up with load 8. Marvellous!

What's the plan for so many warships them?

Not sure - it's more of a test of principle than a direct need. However, the master for this was one of Trevor Hale's 2mm items that I bought off him (Splitter!), which was dolled up as D806 in MFYE complete with the early side grilles, Spanner Swirlyflow boiler port and no middle shoulder grille. I dediced to keep it as D806 but by my era of Summer '71, it had gone BFYE so I decide to strip it down. Sadly, the paint stripper and scrubbing affected a lot of the filler so I had to re-do a lot of the work. Because it was quite a tedious affair, and I quite fancy also having D804 and D803 in my fleet, I thought it was a good oppourtunity to try out casting again. I'll probably knock up some etched bogie inners and also cast the skirting to make some dummy units up - Farish kindly supply a spare set of bogi frames with the Warship which makes life easy. If my one-day South Wales mainline layoute over comes to fruition it'll give them somewhere to run, although really I'd only need one or two at most.

PS - Have you tied the knot yet?!

So get writing an article, will you?

Sure thing. :-)

WOW....

One has a busy chap, bravo.

Cheer Iain!

Have a feeling the wedding is rather inconveniently around the time of stormex preventing my attendance again

At least yours isn't the same weekend as Railex....

...and every year from those days forward it'll be your anniversaries. You'll both be dearly missed. ;)

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

...and every year from those days forward it'll be your anniversaries. You'll both be dearly missed. ;)

Pix

Why do I suspect this is going to cost me a fortune in paying for weekends away before/after in order to get enough points to make it to the show.

Out of interest whats the date this year (and is it still in Cheltenham?)

Yowch -

and trip to Tiranti's in Theale has resulted in some new casting materials and very promising results.

Yowch! - I've always found Tirantis mega expensive! especially when i was a poor art student I use these guys:http://www.notcutt.co.uk/ , but I've had equally good results using really cheapo mould-making kits for Hobbycraft and dare I say it , re-usable vinamold/gelflex - As you say , the success is entirely down to working the resin into all the fine details first with a throwaway brush.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I've very almost actually finished something!

As we entered this years modelling seasons, I made a mental note to try and get all the long term modelling projects that have cluttered my workbench for far too long before starting anything else. In honesty, this lasted a week before those pesky Warships above turned up but, y'know, there was good intention. Most of the dwellers have stalled as I've either finished the fun bit and got onto something tedious or they needed some bits and pieces that I couldn't buy and needed to work out how to make. It's been a bit laborious in places but its nice to finally see a couple of projects come out of the 'one day I'll get round to it' pile to fruition. First up is the Met-Cam Lightweight Plazma Tourch DMU - DB975018/9.

803b91fbd0dc29c132b5d580487846f3.jpg

This appeared on these pages a little time ago, but to recap, it is essentially one of Farish's new Blue Ribband models that has been de-refurbished and back-dated to produce the forerunner to the 101. The project stalled as I wasn't sure quite how to produce the roof vents for the earlier version and it seems that at least one of the two vehicles had one of the front compartment windows converted into a smaller one, presumably for a toilet. Through a bit of wheeling and dealing, a centre car was acquired and gave up the required small windows which were grafted in. A mould of the roof was also made and very carefully, individual copies of the vents were made and applied to the two DMBSs in roughly the right places - the below shows the before and after comparison with an out the box Farish model.

6f93f99f2755e563d0bf3bc7630d4310.jpg

Having got the model painted, next hurdle was to do the lettering on the front of the unit. I did consider taking the easy option and either doing a squiggle of black paint or asking someone else to do them for me, however it was a good opportunity for experimentation of printing transfers a home. I've previously used the Supercal system - it was Ok in the larger scales, but the thick transfer paper and thick layer of lacquer required would look pants in 2mm. This left the option of laser printing and, having bought a sample pack of appropriate paper via eBay , I gave it a go. Results I'm really, really pleased with. The minuscule writing is just readable under a magnifying glass, under a coat of varnish there's no visible transfer film.

b2eea828ade8702523eefc06494f0e7b.jpg

I modelled the Plazma Torches using fibre optics and LED. Having initially gone for electric blue LEDs, the effect was comparable to a Chav-ed Saxo, so these were swapped out for a more acceptable warm white pair. I don't think the effect is too OTT and compares well with the prototype - Dunford East

0c209947df5bb0f95d28f8abecc1a9ff.jpg

I'm not really sure why modelled this unit - I think it's just because I wanted to. If I ever get round to building a SWML layout then I can use some dubious excuse that it was used in the Valleys to improve adhesion. In reality, it seemed to have spent its entire time on the Woodhead route until it became a linear propulsion test bed in '72.

Anyway, must dash, pub calls!

Pix

Edited by Pixie
  • Like 14