The APA Box

Looks more robust (slightly) and without all the framing which could be a big advantage for joining them together. The base could always be strengthened.

But they could have given us more consideration and produced one double the length.

Not that I was there looking for modelling inspiration, but I did find myself sizing up Billy bookcase shelves to provide a platform for 3-4 micros in a compact footprint. Thinking about it, if a modeller wanted to attend an exhibition with micros in mind, it could be an interesting twist to have a few different scenes presented in the same display, and operated each in turn.

It might not stand up to scrutiny in a major exhibition but could be very popular in a small town one as a demonstration of how to break into the hobby without needing loads of space. Operating the different scenes might also alleviate the boredom expected from a fixed routine on a small layout for hour on end!

It's slightly taller than the APA, and about the same depth, except it doesn't have all the framing that the APA does. Shorter though, annoyingly.

P.S. Rechecked those measurements and made slight adjustments to the internal dimensions stated above. Was in a bit of a rush the other day and got the numbers onto the computer wrong. So internals (area only within the frame in all dimensions, and excluding panel thicknesses) are as follows.

APA: 65x30x23

SNACK: 54x35x28

Of course both boxes could be used on their side to improve the vertical height of the modelled area. This would pose more problems for framing the SNACK box baseboard though.

The way I used Snack boxes originally was upside down, so that the base became the top. Then when I assembled the boxes I inverted the base so that those wooden blocks were on the inside. I then laid cork on that to bring it up to the level of the frame of the box. I drilled a set of holes in the ends for a pair of coach bolts to align the boxes and join them together. Any electric wiring was passed through the hand holes. Everything did work quite well. If I hadn't had issues with the snow scenery I used on the layout there would probably be photographic evidence around of what I had done. Sadly there isn't. There did used to be a Snack Box group on Yahoo!. I don't know if it's still there. I think it died when the Snack box disappeared the first time.

That's a neat workaround, I unfortunately only bought one box and as the nearest store is 150 miles away I think I'm stuck with just the one for now.

I'm back to work tomorrow for a while so might doodle some plans with the new dimensions for the next couple of weeks. Didn't really get round to posting scribbles of the Futers derived plans discussed previously that I did last trip, so might put them up too at some point.

I knew I could find a picture of my snack box arrangement if I looked hard enough. I built a more conventional three road fiddle yard to join to the end nearest you in the picture

s131.photobucket.com/user/lincsguyus/media/american%20snackbox/P9212809.jpg.html]P9212809.jpg

Ah that makes more sense now I see you were using the slimmer variant, I was wondering why you had attached your layout to the outside of the full height box! Good idea, though I think I'll stick with one inside the box - that way its self contained and less likely to suffer damage when stored.

Trying to figure out plans for this box isn't easy, even in N as it's still too short and deep, but that could mean more room for non-railway scenics toward the rear of the board. Interestingly, I did knock together a plan based on the same layout as the one in your picture, but in a tiny CD box like the harbour thing I'm slowly putting together! Yes, compromises were made...

I've wondered if there is merit in hinging two of the half height boxes together in some way, or at least of exploiting their stackability so a layout can be stowed away.

I guess the obvious schemes involve one scenic box and one used as a cassette based fiddleyard.

Ian, perhaps the British Oak Canal Loader Scene from Steve Flint's book could be adapted to make a SNACK based companion for your APA version of the coal plant?

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Ikea today and now have my APA box home and assembled. Now to decide how best to use it, that is to say a tall but shallow scene or a low but deep scene. Well as its a seaside scene I think I'm going for low height but a deep scene as I want to include some sand dunes and backs of beach huts. As I've said before please don't hold your breath.

John.

As good as my word I popped into IKEA by the Mall of America today and purchased an APA box.

I took it home and assembled it in about 10 minutes it comes with all the screws and a strange screw driver contraption to enable you to put it together.

There are 10 parts two ends and top already assembled four rails, a base and two sides. Here is the box assembled. When screwed together it is EXTREMELY rigid. The base and sides are from hardboard so for a base you would need to add something more substantial in there.

attachicon.gifwP6265019.jpg

Remove the front and the possibilities for a cabinet style layout open up. Once again the inside dimensions are 27.5" long x 14" deep x 11" tall

attachicon.gifwP6265018.jpg

Its very cear that you need to add something in the base to bring the rail level up to the top of the wooden frame rails.

Something that would be easy to do I think would be add a hinge to the lid to open the layout up to make access easier. It might be possible to mount some small light fixtures in the lid too. With the lid on lighting would be a must

attachicon.gifwP6265020.jpg

Now I'll work on seeing how locos and stock of various scales fit in there. For just $14.99 this seems a good deal

Ian

What about using fiddlesticks with an APB box. For those who have never used them they are a support unit, complete with some track, which when at the correct height, connect onto the track within the box, usually by using metal rail joiners. In other words a simple form of cassette.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite finished, but nearly there

2013 11 28 08.42.35 7 3 Snapseed

As usual more on the story http://apavalley.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/ready-for-warley.html

Looking at that photo I'm actually quite surprised myself that it all fitted into an Apa box. Credit for that goes to Iain Rice and the "bitsa" station concept.

Lisa, this was built with the intention of using a Peco locolift in a fiddlestick type of way, but to be honest I've ended up just shunting up and down.

Hi

Just a thought about using an APA box for a layout. All the ideas so far have been for shunting type layouts.

Putting the scenic section into an APA box and then making a folding layout board, which has a oval of track and some type of fiddleyard arrangement, allows a continuous type layout to be constructed.

post-9893-0-10641300-1385655227.jpg

The APA box can be stored say on a shelf, in the living area of the house. The mating board, having only track and electrical wiring can be stored in a garage, shed or a loft.

I have envisioned a fiddleyard based on using several PECO locolift units to make a train cassette, but of course it's not the only option.

The hinges have to be raised up, so that when the board is folded the track on one board clears the track on the other.

The front panel of the APA box could be replaced with a sheet of perspex, so that the viewer could see the layout, without having it exposed to dust.

post-9893-0-40577800-1385655232.jpg

If the height of the front panel, was less than the width of the track board, it could be stored, and transported between the two board, if the distance between the boards was designed to allow this.

The APA box can if required be transported in a large holdall, together with some locos and rolling stock, and if a handle is added to the track board this can be carried easily.

Lisa

I'd thought about something similar before, it allows you to keep one common loop and storage track space, but change out the scenic unit as a modular unit. Rather like a model railway club that dispenses with the scenic boards once they've done their turn on the exhibition circuit, but retains the perfectly usable non-scenic part for the next layout. It would enable you to have a couple of different scenes to suit different stock or allow you to try out different techniques or track layouts - say making one board a rural one and another an urban one.

Good thinking!

Purely by chance, I came across this pretty little station the other day on the net, with a similarly simple track plan to the one you've shown in your scenic section. Could be a starting point?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/powerstock/index.shtml

If you wanted to model that the Scalescenes Staverton kit might provide a good starting point http://scalescenes.com/products/R003b-GWR-Station-and-Goods-Shed

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

THAT (no 100.367.20) box measures 66"x27" and puts no less than 25 lb on the scale. Not for me - foamboard much better! And cheaper.

Regards

Armin

Hmm, now that is heavy. I'm not sure how they've managed to make it that heavy in fact.

My Apa layout  has a foamboard baseboard inside to provide height for the electrics and mechanical point control but I've nerve really been happy with it. So for the next project I'm going to combine it with a ply roadbed.

Whilst trying to see if the IKEA SNACK box  really was available again - it appears not

I couldn't find it at the time on the website but it was available in the home organisation section right at the end of the markethall, in the Edinburgh one they've expanded that section into the collection hall. Unlikely that it was a one off or that they'd found some surplus stock, and there was plenty available when I was there.

Archived