The APA Box

• RMweb Gold

Whilst trying to see if the IKEA SNACK box  really was available again - it appears not - I came across  this

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10036720/

The Beddinge Box, roughly 5'6" by 26" which is just about the maximum you might want to use for a one board layout,

Sounds about the right size for a small N gauge 'in the round' does sound kind of heavy though, may investigate further?

Whilst trying to see if the IKEA SNACK box  really was available again - it appears not - I came across  this

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10036720/

The Beddinge Box, roughly 5'6" by 26" which is just about the maximum you might want to use for a one board layout,

Hmmm... That one is quite interesting, only $30 from IKEA in the USA too.

Nice find. Thanks

Ian

edit: took a look at the build instructions. There appears that some bracing is included in the construction. There's an issue or two with the base made of two thin strips of wood with a plastic joining strip between them. But nothing that can't be solved with some creative thinking I'd bet.

• 5 months later...

I ran across this concept just recently and was inspired enough to pick up two APAs on the way home from work tonight. I've been wanting to try my hand at a few different micro concepts that are outside my usual area of interest, and this just might be the ideal way.

For example, I have a small fleet of N scale DMUs I was intending to use for a terminal set in Plymouth ca. 2000 (I postulated a cut back Millbay, I had a thread on the old RMweb about it.). As is typical for me I never got very far as benchwork is always a major stumbling block. The trackplan was to be a simple Minories variant.

I'm thinking about modeling just the throat of the terminal in an APA with the platforms off scene and staging off the other end. I can have a modern canopy over the platforms to hide the hole on one side and duck behind a building on the other. I could even use a pair of APAs for the extensions, open the backs for access and use the fronts for posting information about the layout. The whole three box thing would fit into the back of my Focus and could be exhibited on banquet tables.

And then there's the O-14 sand operation I'd like to try... and the 4mm urban household coal depot ala White Swan... and the W&U extension...

I can see my getting a lot of mileage out of these APA boxes!

I ran across this concept just recently and was inspired enough to pick up two APAs on the way home from work tonight. I've been wanting to try my hand at a few different micro concepts that are outside my usual area of interest, and this just might be the ideal way.

For example, I have a small fleet of N scale DMUs I was intending to use for a terminal set in Plymouth ca. 2000 (I postulated a cut back Millbay, I had a thread on the old RMweb about it.). As is typical for me I never got very far as benchwork is always a major stumbling block. The trackplan was to be a simple Minories variant.

I'm thinking about modeling just the throat of the terminal in an APA with the platforms off scene and staging off the other end. I can have a modern canopy over the platforms to hide the hole on one side and duck behind a building on the other. I could even use a pair of APAs for the extensions, open the backs for access and use the fronts for posting information about the layout. The whole three box thing would fit into the back of my Focus and could be exhibited on banquet tables.

And then there's the O-14 sand operation I'd like to try... and the 4mm urban household coal depot ala White Swan... and the W&U extension...

I can see my getting a lot of mileage out of these APA boxes!

certainly got my vote. I've often thought about doing a modern Millbay. :)

• 2 months later...

Well having discovered the great APA box, it seems like the ideal solution to building a modular n gauge railway, only to discover that they are sold out everywhere but glasgow and belfast and that they only do local delivery - no good when you live near crewe :(

Some great little railways and inspirational railways out there - keep up the good work folks!

If anybody sees some in the northwest or midlands let me know lol

mike 

• RMweb Gold

Thats good news. Did a stock check at IKEA Southampton 2 weeks ago and they had 8 but didn't have the time to go and buy any. About to walk out the door and head up last week and thought better check the stock before I go. Zero!

I'm after 2 APA boxes to double up for a OO layout which may lead to my first experiment in building points but we'll see how it goes.....

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but just had a further mail from the Ikea PR dept (i have dealt with a few times). I will post this to a wider audience as I think it deserves it...

Unfortunately this storage unit is being discontinued in Feb 2014, but we should have some deliveries mid-September. Can’t guarantee this for definite, but will be able to check closer to the time.

Best wishes,

Aisha

Aisha Gibson

Senior Press Officer

IKEA UK and Ireland

Hi Steve

That is a shame, they seem very popular not just with modellers but also as hamster houses and other things, thanks for posting that ebay link, i had seen that but didnt really want to pay nearly twice the amount, especially as I want four of them! May have to bite the bullet now though... do you gamble in the hope they will restock in sept or bite and pay nearly double - dilemma!!! Its also annoying that there are plenty in stock further afield but ikea wont bring them to other stores... anyway, rant over lol

I will get my hands on a few somehow lol

Keep up the good work

Mike

Thanks Steve,

Definately some interesting ideas/solutions there, will have a think, and come up with some plans of what i intend to build - although i may just take a risk on waiting to see if Ikea get more Apa in stock and if not at least there are plenty of other options.

You Apa based railways are certainly providing some inspiration...

mike

• RMweb Premium

The boxes are out of stock on the Ikea UK online service, and also sold out at three stores I looked at.

If you have never seen an APA box but want one, they are a softwood frame with hardboard infill panels. The frame parts have grooves, which can be useful for fitting fascia panels,and it is easy to remove the side and top panels if you want to modify them or fit something else in their place. The boxes would be good (or at least would have been good) if you wanted to build a modular system or run a micro layout competition, or even if you just want a micro layout but don't have tools for wood working.

The boxes are fair value for what they are at the Ikea price of £11 but I wouldn't want to pay much more. They are not a ready-made baseboard (unless you accept hardboard), and while I have thought about posting a cutting list to help people make their own, it would be easier to start with one of those ready-made floating shelves (Home Bargains, Ikea, Wilkinsons) and add whatever framework you need to this.

Ikea did some beautiful birch ply shelf units in the past (I guess their supply of ply got too expensive) so let's hope they make a new 'storage solution' fairly soon, with a micro-layout shape and size.

- Richard.

I wonder if Ikea will simply replace them with something very similar. This was done with their Expedit range recently, changing to the virtually identical Kallax system. if the Apa sold well then it would be surprising if nothing along the same lines didn't show up.

Last week I posted the following:

Hi all,

should be possible to order it online directly from IKEA. … – cost (incl. p&p within Germany) is € 21.90.

Much less expensive than the offers via a certain bay…

Now let me tell you what I did & learned:

I wondered whether this way would lead to success and in fact ordered an APA box (despite I didn’t need one…).
The order went through without problems (payment possible only via C.O.D service), but shortly thereafter an eMail arrived, telling me that IKEA considered it NOT a valid contract and they would check availability of the item ordered and THEN inform me accordingly.

This was Monday last week…

Friday – no mail seen – I thought: OK, this way too failing!

Monday I found a mail: IKEA confirms contract and is in process of packing ! ! !

Today (Wednesday): APA box safely arrived!

Regards

Armin

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Checked Ikea Germany online today: no APA box available online nor in any of the German Ikea Branches (and yes: I clicked them all through...) but at least the APA box is still listed online.

So I have one APA box in store in the basement.

Best Regards,

Christian

As I as one of the first to jump on board when ian originally posted the message on another forum, I do remember how they were not originally available everywhere, then appeared . It looks like they might be phasing out in a similar way. Luckily I have enough to keep me busy.

What does still puzzle me was the people on ebay with Ikea products listed(a a higher price). They infered that they had a lot, but still not sure if it was an official Ikea e-shop(unlikely), an employee or just a someboby. As the APA boxes disappeared from ebay very quickly, I am thinking somebody was buying to order.

Just hoping someone comes up ith something similar, as there must be a need for wooden storage boxes.

It is also interesting from Ian's original posting that he had been looking for something else which had then been discontinued.

================

just checked ebay again, and the company that was selling them before, has got them listed again, but at double the Ikea price. Very odd.

Archived