Some nice modelling from across the water...

This link came up in an ops-themed Yahoo group i'm a member of - some US themed N scale freemo-ing from Germany...

http://www.rm-dp.de/...51:an&Itemid=74

The steel mill (Electric Arc Furnace) modules are great, i've tried to sketch something do-ably small as a module in HO but it still takes up more room than I have...

Also love the space and landforms on the module called 'Mopac bridge' - really nice stuff...

And the 'Pacific highway/Lennox Ave' module is pretty cool as well...

Enjoy 8)

I like the Aberdeen Industrial Park in particular. Emergency Corner is straight out of a Noch catalogue isn't it?? :laugh: Also the highway (4th photo up from bottom):- a Highway Overpass is a little bit of a cliche, but nice to see a full-width, 6-lane one modelled. :yes:

I agree about Aberdeen but I also like Second St - it has the right "look" to it for me.

OK then Martyn - you're the Freemo king - how about we organise something similar over here (in HO of course) and invite people to either bring a module if they have one (or build one if they haven't!). I would be up for it and I can organise the hall here if you like...:drinks:

I think that idea may have legs Nick. :drinks:

Anyone else up for it?

Doesn't have to be anything particularly big or complicated to get involved, even a few feet of simple single track (usable as a photo-diorama at home?) are useful to a big setup to give some running between scenes...

Module specs here: http://rstowerfreemo.wordpress.com/module-info/module-specifications/

I think that idea may have legs Nick. :drinks:

Anyone else up for it?

Doesn't have to be anything particularly big or complicated to get involved, even a few feet of simple single track (usable as a photo-diorama at home?) are useful to a big setup to give some running between scenes...

Module specs here: http://rstowerfreemo...specifications/

Where?

Where to meet up? Or didn't the specs link work for you?

If the former - if we're taking this to the UK as a whole then up your way is probably more do-able for more people than down our way...lets see what interest we get....?

(I think we'd already got an idea pencilled in for TVNAM2012 if folk want to see what it's like?)

Where to meet up? Or didn't the specs link work for you?

If the former - if we're taking this to the UK as a whole then up your way is probably more do-able for more people than down our way...lets see what interest we get....?

(I think we'd already got an idea pencilled in for TVNAM2012 if folk want to see what it's like?)

Sorry, Martyn - the very curt "where" was referring to location of this proposed bash! I am happy to organise the same venue as TVNAM. Re the cost - if we can get 20 -30 people interested, that equates to about a fiver each, perhaps a bit more if we throw in some refreshments.

I would see it as a day for us to get together and have fun running trains, not necessarily a full blown exhibition/show with all the attendant hassles (I can get my stress fix via TVNAM!). If people who have heard about it want to visit, then maybe a small donation (50p/£1) to help cover the costs.

LOL no problem, just working out what you were referring to. ;)

We've been considering (in a vague way, without any real planning or definate proposal as yet - although the setup at Exeter this year was partly as a test for logistics) something similar but more local to the South West - but obviously the more widespread the distance the modules are coming from the less applicable basing it down in the South West becomes.

And yes, I think you're talking something simpler financially/organisationally, with a 'come and play trains' angle rather than a model railway exhibition.

Not sure from this thread that we've got the numbers interested to make it feasible just yet, but worth keeping an eye on?

LOL no problem, just working out what you were referring to. ;)

We've been considering (in a vague way, without any real planning or definate proposal as yet - although the setup at Exeter this year was partly as a test for logistics) something similar but more local to the South West - but obviously the more widespread the distance the modules are coming from the less applicable basing it down in the South West becomes.

And yes, I think you're talking something simpler financially/organisationally, with a 'come and play trains' angle rather than a model railway exhibition.

Not sure from this thread that we've got the numbers interested to make it feasible just yet, but worth keeping an eye on?

Definitely worth following up. Where else on RM Web could we publicise it? Maybe back in the old Overseas Modelling and see if there are any other takers?

Worth a punt.

It might be something that we can gradually build interest on though - especially if the NMRA-BR ends up promoting something which is inherently compatible (if not identical.)

There is a sort of 'chicken/egg' kind of effect to get past, without some modules you don't do a meet, but without meets there is no 'outlet' for the modelling so few people build them...:rolleyes:

Trevor - NICE space! :)

Yup....

most times it will be full of traction engines ,buses and NG locos ....but the idea is to also use it occasionally as a venue ...

and as you said earlier ...modular systems are chicken and egg..but having run one in the past and with the todays communications systems I am sure something could be created with a few "Local" areas, to be bases to work from ..and you have the standards in place .

we shall see what happens ..

Regards Trevor .. :D

It might be something that we can gradually build interest on though - especially if the NMRA-BR ends up promoting something which is inherently compatible (if not identical.)

Is that likely?

I'll post something in the Overseas Modelling and see what happens.

Trevor - when is you "shed" likely to be available?

Tim - Are you up for my suggestion?

Its very tempting, but doesn't really fit in with the kind of layout (or more specifically layout presentation) that I would like to build. I'd love to come to an event tho.

The "shed" is first in use at our Rail Gala 30/31 July .....there are 2 other smaller sheds that will be used for layouts and trade as well ...just over 10000 sq ft in total,if I remember correctly......we are trying to establish this event in the exhibition circuit ...this is only the 3rd year and it has grown ..along with the space available,each year ...

PS ....not "mine" wish it was :rolleyes:

the whole Tinkers Park site is run by a trust .....

Regards Trevor... :D

Is that likely?

I'm told that yes it's likely, although it's not something i've been (or particularly want to be!) directly involved in to be able to judge.

To my understanding the proposed NMRA-BR version is largely the spec we developed(*) except for adding a built-in multi-system-capable DCC throttle bus, so their version of a module ought to work within a setup to our spec with no mods, or ours could work within a setup to their spec by maybe using a simple adaptor cable to connect the two ways of acheiving the throttle bus, or a jumper to the same spec to 'bridge' our board.

I'm told there's a group already working on some modules to the proposed standard as well (Poole?) but either way it means more modules out there in the (erm!) 'pool'.

We decided from the start that our basic spec should be 'open source' - the more folk using it the better for all users to our mind.

(*And I must credit here that we largely got there by combining what was to our minds the best bits of the existing US 'Freemo' and German/US outline Fremo then trying to simplify the result as much as possible)

I'm told that yes it's likely, although it's not something i've been (or particularly want to be!) directly involved in to be able to judge.

To my understanding the proposed NMRA-BR version is largely the spec we developed(*) except for adding a built-in multi-system-capable DCC throttle bus, so their version of a module ought to work within a setup to our spec with no mods, or ours could work within a setup to their spec by maybe using a simple adaptor cable to connect the two ways of acheiving the throttle bus, or a jumper to the same spec to 'bridge' our board.

I'm told there's a group already working on some modules to the proposed standard as well (Poole?) but either way it means more modules out there in the (erm!) 'pool'.

We decided from the start that our basic spec should be 'open source' - the more folk using it the better for all users to our mind.

(*And I must credit here that we largely got there by combining what was to our minds the best bits of the existing US 'Freemo' and German/US outline Fremo then trying to simplify the result as much as possible)

So do we still go ahead with our own?

I echo your sentiments regarding open source and the more folks etc.

Location is of course the thing. Trevor - Eastbourne, Martyn - Exeter, the NMRA you mention - Poole: a lot of south bias there! . Do we want to make it more central and accessible to more people in which case I am happy to look at something here in the Midlands.

So do we still go ahead with our own

Location is of course the thing. Trevor - Eastbourne, Martyn - Exeter, the NMRA you mention - Poole a lot of south bias there! . Do we want to make it more central and accessible to more people in which case I am happy to look at soemthing here in the Midlands.

Practically speaking the majority of our modules are owned by two members based in Gillingham in Dorset, plus there's two in Honiton, mine in Exeter, and a small one in Taunton other than that...

I think we would love to support a Midlands based one the best we could, but I think we'd be doing so on an 'individual' basis so I would suggest you shouldn't count on more than 4 modules from us at that distance without us finding funding for a van, which I think is not really in the scope of such a meet - other folk like that NMRA group might be interested....but I think you really need a core of folk that you know will bring modules further North to get it off the ground up there.

Pete who helped us at Exeter is Nottingham based and is working on modules based on the Illinois Terminal's East Belt yard/wye/car barn...8)

And there's Jon, although he's waaaaay up North of you - plus from the sounds of it you were up for a module, and Chris was as well?

So - a long way from impossible, but it feels a little sparse at the moment, as we're up to 8-ish?

It might even be do-able at a smaller/cheaper venue for that?

I'm going to ping this thread up to Neil to get his views on it as well...it is something we'd talked about as a group but haven't done anything with yet, so from that point we'd be supportive wherever it happenned!

Re the specs, I notice in the comments mention of the interboard wiring plug type (I assume) but nothing in the spec itself?

Can't believe nobody noticed that omission before! :O

The track bus uses 4mm banana plugs/sockets.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/4mm-banana-plug-1434

The spec diagram shows a plug for one pole and a socket for the other, we've evolved that slightly by having sockets on both poles and using these handy stackable jumpers.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/4mm-patch-cord-1443

(And that's only at module ends - arrange it any way you like at non-modular joints)

Archived