The Shed

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO bought me the Ratio Engine shed for a Father's day present - it seems rude not to use it, so here is my 2nd challenge entry.

It's supposed to be a little corner of a BLT, set into a bit of a hillside, with just the shed and a second siding. The intention is to fill it full of overgrown weeds and other planty-type things, with piles of scrap / spare track components / signal pulleys and point rodding / etc lying around in rusty heaps.

post-7025-0-04177000-1309351327_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-73185000-1309351391_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

First layer of kitchen roll covered in dilute pva now added.

post-7025-0-92491400-1309506963_thumb.jpg

Big tip - don't get pva on your fingers whilst eating butties with white cream cheese.....

• RMweb Gold

I haven't really started on mine, and your already almost done with the second!

(The 3rd one is going to be a lot trickier, but is inspired by Viewpoint...)

Should get chance to play with green stuff at lunch time today... photos later , unless it's a complete disaster !

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Nick, it's the Woodland Scenics 'Learning Kit LK954 Landscape"; the grass is mainly 'Green Blend Blended turf' with some 'Burnt Grass Fine Turf' sprinkled in some areas. The back section is all Green Blend.

It will need a good shake to remove the non-stuck stuff, then a few more passes with various other blends and then some more clumpy stuff for the thicker grass.

I've also purchased a starter kit from International Models, which has flowers and ivy-type stuff in as well, which should be fun to try when it gets here.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

The IM package was waiting for me when I got home, so once the domestic duties were completed, I cleared the kitchen table and got started.

I'm not sure I'm overhappy with the results so far, it looks too neat & tidy, I think I need more longer grasses and some bushes, not to mention more weeds.

post-7025-0-14748300-1310075692_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-36134800-1310075793_thumb.jpg

What do you all think ?

• RMweb Gold

Track is now down, painted, ballasted and some weedy-grassy stuff added.

post-7025-0-32574100-1310211148_thumb.jpg

(The wonky buffers have been seen to !)

post-7025-0-27034400-1310211168_thumb.jpg

And here's one with a recently weathered wagon.

post-7025-0-29456200-1310211187_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The wagon is nicely weathered Stu. Did you airbrush of just brush paint?

Have you seen the Right Track Wagon DVDs? Really good tips that Iain Rice talks about.

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, no air brush was used in the weathering, it's 3 years old and still unused in the box...

I just dry brushed and wiped with a kitchen paper towel.

The ends could do with more work, they look a bit too clean.

No, I've not yet seen Iain Rice's DVD - it's perhaps something I should do.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments, I managed almost a full day of modelling yesterday which meant I got quite a bit done.

Pete, the size was determined by the size of the foam board, I didn't see the need to extend it just to be full length.

Not sure what's at Terrice, Nick, but I do have a sort of China clay diorama half started ( Drinnick Stores), as a back drop to the BWT.

Now, a question. Should I add a small coaling stage between the two tracks, and should I also add some sort of water supply, maybe with a header tank on the bank above the track ?

Ta

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Not sure what's at Terrice, Nick, but I do have a sort of China clay diorama half started ( Drinnick Stores), as a back drop to the BWT.

Iain Rice built Terrice, which was a small china clay layout based on the Cornish clay lines.

Archived