The Shed

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Terrice looks waaaaaaay to big for me to do, at least at the moment, but it looks a superb layout.

Mike, I spent most of Saturday modelling, plus I have an understanding boss who lets me model at my desk during my lunch hour. Occasional evenings in front of the telly helps, and I do a lot of mental planning at other times.

Observation whilst driving is also a good source of ideas, which all goes into the mix.

Great work Stu, was unsure at first but that (Heki?) grass really sets it off. I look forward to seeing this as you add more to it.

I do believe that it's actually TRErice, as opposed to Terrice - I could be wrong, but I know that there is a real life Trerice, which was a clay siding on the Retew branch.

If anyone is considering a clay related diorama for the challenge, 20 inches working out at around 240 feet in N gauge is about average for a single coal fired dry, there were in fact a few that were around 180 feet in length, so it would be a good diorama subject for the 2011 challenge.

Lansalson kilns, on the Trenance branch, would be an ideal prototype. Here there are a pair of kiln buildings, one is around 120 feet in length, the other is around 170 feet, the longer one is around 40 feet wide, with the shorter kiln around 36 feet in width, and both arranged in an L shape configuration. They weren't ever directly rail served, dried clay from here being taken to a nearby wharf, but the Trenance branch passed in front of them on the other side of the river. They were accessed by a cobbled level crossing, followed by a bridge over the "white river". Without using any compression you could fit the entire scene onto a 66cm by 46cm board using N scale. The shortest kiln is roofed in corrugated iron, and the front wall uses reused cast iron rising main sections, taken from pumping shafts, as supporting columns. Quite an interesting little structure. The completed scene would probably involve steam lorries, horse and cart, and plenty of barrels lying around the "yard" area between the two drys, not to mention the odd prairie tank puffing past.

Food for thought anyway, and my apologies for the brief hijack! :)

Best,

Scott.

• RMweb Gold

Scott, no problems with the hijack, it makes interesting reading and is a plausible scenario for a challenge entry - but not by me, I've already got/planned 3!

The grass is miNatur (spelling ?) from International Models , from their starter pack. It's quite similar to the Noch stuff, but come in different sized clumps. The basic ground cover is Woodland Scenics, with more IM bits added.

I want to have a clump of hollyhocks, not sure yet how to replicate this - modern rubber tooth cleaners ( alternative to floss) painter purple might work...

More work to do tomorrow on finishing the little coaling stage, it needs bedding in and some real coal scattered about.

Plus I've got a pack of rail chairs to paint and stack in a rusty pile beside the shed.

Scott, no problems with the hijack, it makes interesring reading and is a plausible scenario for a challenge entry - but not by me, I've already got/planned 3!

The grass is miNatur (spelling ?) from International Models , from their starter pack. It's quite similar to the Noch stuff, but come in different sized clumps. The basic ground cover is Woodland Scenics, with more IM bits added.

I want to have a clump of hollyhocks, not sure yet how to replicate this - modern rubber tooth cleaners ( alternative to floss) painter purple might work...

More work to do tomorrow on finishing the little coaling stage, it needs bedding in and some real coal scattered about.

Plus I've got a pack of rail chairs to paint and stack in a rusty pile beside the shed.

I sympathise with your "I've planned and started too many projects" scenario. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the product info, always good to know. I hadn't heard of International models until today.

I was going to suggest some junk, but I see you're already on the case! It does seem a bit bare at the moment so I'm trying to imagine it with more "stuff" filling the scene. I keep envisaging your diorama with lots of lichen type shrubs growing at the base of that retaining wall. For some reason I also keep dreaming a long-ago-derailed 5 plank wagon down the side of the bank, the wood all sunbleached and the ironwork all rusted, covered in weeds. Perhaps with the odd robbed part, like a missing buffer, missing door, etc. etc.

Best,

Scott.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, I hadn't considered an old wagon, though wheel sets and even an old bogie did cross my mind.

Yes, there is lots more to add in the greenery dept, as and when I can find products I'm happy with.

I also need to source some point rodding/linkage to pile up, and signalling pulleys, and then some old bits of equipment, wheel barrows, etc, to stack around, all overgrown and rusty.

The rear bank will be full of trees, hopefully leaning over the whole scene, so I'll need to add lots of leaf mulch on the shed roof.

As for having more ideas than time, yep, I've got a few other projects started and not completed, but a 3rd Challenge entry will be started soon. (I'm not trying to flood the competition, I just want to experiment with ideas, and having constraints such as time and size help galvanise the effort).

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Nick, I got the idea from a recent trip on the B&W - as you approach the station (by train !) there are piles of chairs, signal pulleys etc., just crying out to be modelled.

I want to try to replicate a busy, but sleepy, scene - not much happening but lots of potential for the inhabitants to be involved with track maintenance, signal refurbishment - it could also be a preserved shed somewhere - I could just imagine a BWT poking it's nose out from between the doors, with a T9 simmering on the next line, all prepared for a day hauling visitors about...

• RMweb Gold

I could just imagine a BWT poking it's nose out from between the doors, with a T9 simmering on the next line, all prepared for a day hauling visitors about...

That way then you won't have to weather the poor thing! ;)

• RMweb Gold

Iain Rice built Terrice, which was a small china clay layout based on the Cornish clay lines.

The Captain Kernow Pedantry Service would like to point out most humbly that Iain's layout is called Trerice... ;)

Thank you for listening!

Otherwise - well done Stu, nice bit of work, as always.

The Captain Kernow Pedantry Service would like to point out most humbly that Iain's layout is called Trerice... ;)

Thank you for listening!

Otherwise - well done Stu, nice bit of work, as always.

Beat you to it! But it seems nobody noticed. :D

Detail is coming on quite nicely Stu. I have to say that with all those boulders lying around on that bank it does somewhat conjure up images of the old mineral railway over Caradon hill. That leads me to ask (sorry if you've already said and I've missed it) what era are you planning for this diorama?

Best,

Scott.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Scott,

The scenery is not conciously based on anywhere in particular - I wanted to have a bank both below and above the track, as if the area had been excavated for the railway. The rocks were a sort of after thought, once I'd seen how the papier mache had set, and are nothing more than painted patches.

Similarly, it's not based on any one era - I don't know if the Ratio shed is based on a real one, and if so when it was built, but that would give me an early date limit, up to today I guess. If I added some figures in modern clothing and contemporary camera equipment, then any locos would be seen as 'in preservation'. On the other hand, a gang of loco fitters or trackmen could set the era anywhere from 1930s to the pre-Beeching to the end of steam. If a plausible reason could be found for a diesel to be at a still functioning shed such as this, then the time slot extends again.

I have a range of locos from GWR Steam to Blue Diesel, with most points in between, so I might just take a shot of each to see which looks best !

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil,

Number 3 will be a view from a carriage window as it passes over a level crossing (7mm scale), looking down a street to another railway line crossing over a bridge in the background (4mm scale...)

Hopefully...

Thanks Neil,

Number 3 will be a view from a carriage window as it passes over a level crossing (7mm scale), looking down a street to another railway line crossing over a bridge in the background (4mm scale...)

Hopefully...

be very excited to see some forced perspective Stu

so will I !!

I've been seeing how I can build forced perspective into the micro layout I'm working on.... there's some interesting videos on youtube that explain it really well. I think it all comes down to judging it from sight.

It would really add an interesting dimention to a smaller project, I look forward to seeing it! :D

• RMweb Gold

At the moment, it's all theory.

I know that 18" of module will give me quite a good depth to play with, and I'll be limitiing the view to the one choice - that of peering out though a carriage window from the inside. I'll make the inside quite a bit bigger scale than the 7mm outside, to force the sense of distance even more. I just need to find some time to make a start on some test pieces (but I really should finish the other two entries first...).

Don't expect anything too soon.

Archived