Heres One I Made Earlier

DLT

• RMweb Premium

The title should be self-explanatory; the purpose of this thread is give you space to post photos of some of your older models, and tell us a bit about them.

Its not a constructional thread, its for completed models; a sort of gallery open to all within the Southern Group. So please feel free to add your photos.

I shall kick things off with a loco I built many years ago for a friend; a rebuilt Drummond T14 "Paddlebox" in 4mm scale from a Nu-Cast kit.

I vaguely remember it being a fairly conventional kit, but a bit of a pig in places. However that was as much to do with the unusual prototype design as with the limitations of the kit.

Mounting the slidebars on outriggers, and arranging the valvegear where it passes through the footplate rather stick in the memory!

post-5825-0-82645600-1309566112_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-68959300-1309566117_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-60135100-1309566122_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-18275400-1309566126_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-83264400-1309566131_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-40407000-1309566107_thumb.jpg

Theres a bit more about it in an old thread here;

http://www.rmweb.co....h__1#entry15020

Cheers,

Dave.

Here's one that I made earlier. An LBSCR Jenny Lind, built from a kit by 5&9 Models.

post-9472-0-17955200-1309862840_thumb.jpg

The kit went together very well, but finding space for a drive train was "interesting". In the end, I used a High Level Longrider diesel bogie kit, with an extra axle inserted in the middle to power the tender (which I suppose makes it an A1A). Since the Longrider is compensated around the outer four wheels, and the centre axle only just fits under the motor, the pickups have been made to bear down heavily on the leading wheels, which would otherwise pitch quite noticeably depending on the direction of travel.

Best wishes

Eric

Dave

Thanks for your kind comment.

As the title of the thread implies, this one was made a couple of years ago, so I don't remember all the details. However, I think the photo is being generous. The red frames came straight out of a Halfords primer can. The green is Precision, applied with a simple spray gun. The final finish came from an aerosol of Games Workshop satin varnish - which then proceeded to degenerate into a revolting orange peel finish, but only on the green. Since then, I have done a number of experiments to try to understand why this happens, as, on most surfaces, it produces a lovely eggshell finish - but just occasionally, it goes horribly wrong. It has also prompted a thread here on "Crackle finish".

On this occasion, I adopted a kill or cure approach. I put it on one side to dry out completely, polished out the rough bits and then gave it another - very fine - coat of the varnish. It sort of worked.

And by the way, I have added the handrails along the boiler - it was only when I looked at the photo above that I realised that all of the pictures of this loco were taken before they were fitted!

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I agree the T14 is an interesting build, as you say mainly due to the valve gear that passes through the footplate, I must admit I cheated and mine is static at this point and part of the body not the chassis (its almost impossible to tell though!).

post-243-0-02036800-1310114974_thumb.jpg

Hi Muz

post-489-0-71765000-1310117255_thumb.jpg

More exemplary work! Set 771 on route to Exeter and the Withered Arm.

I am trying to make up my mind for a new project. First choice would be a Drummond 4-4-0 (S11 or K10), or even an Adams Jubilee, but seeing these two T14s may well change things.

Be well

PB

• RMweb Premium

I made this H class from a Wills Kit over twenty years ago. It's in need of a bit of TLC for the brake gear, plus finishing off for the Westinghouse pump which never got fitted properly. Also I was never happy with the support in the rear bogie for the back of the locomotive, so that needs some attention too, but apart from that it's fine. The motor is a coreless Portescap.

post-6714-0-67892900-1310118295_thumb.jpg

post-6714-0-50763100-1310118349_thumb.jpg

post-6714-0-59443700-1310118350_thumb.jpg

post-6714-0-78120300-1310118351_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I am trying to make up my mind for a new project. First choice would be a Drummond 4-4-0 (S11 or K10), or even an Adams Jubilee, but seeing these two T14s may well change things.

Be well

PB

Hi Peter,

Are you proposing a scratchbuild or a kit? The Paddlebox was a Nu-Cast kit, I think they also did the Adams Jubilee. I've no idea if they are still available anywhere.

I don't know of any kits for the K10 or S11, but PDK do a nice looking kit for for a D15

Graham Muz may be able to advise more (he knows everything..!)

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I made this H class from a Wills Kit over twenty years ago. It's in need of a bit of TLC for the brake gear, plus finishing off for the Westinghouse pump which never got fitted properly. Also I was never happy with the support in the rear bogie for the back of the locomotive, so that needs some attention too, but apart from that it's fine. The motor is a coreless Portescap.

Very nice Ian, I particularly like the lining; most impressive.

I agree the bogie mounting on kits of this era was a bit of an afterthought; yet it is fundamental to the balance and ride of the loco. How did you fare with getting enough weight on the drivers?

Thanks,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium
I agree the bogie mounting on kits of this era was a bit of an afterthought; yet it is fundamental to the balance and ride of the loco. How did you fare with getting enough weight on the drivers?

I didn't, unfortunately. The weight currently sits pretty much on the rear drivers, with the front drivers tending not to touch the rail. It's only a fraction of a millimetre, but the gap is there. What I need to do is get some kind of decent springing onto the rear truck but I've never really figured out the best way to do it, and due to other things it hasn't been a priority recently.

quote name='Gordon A' [timestamp=1310207301' post='437927]

Ian,

Any chance of a some pictures of the modified Longrider as fitted to Jenny Lind please?

Gordon A

Bristol

Gordon

Does this help?

post-9472-0-02417300-1310207548_thumb.jpg

post-9472-0-97803000-1310207576_thumb.jpg

The axle that has vertical movement is under the fall plate end of the tender.

Best wishes

Eric

Hi Peter,

Are you proposing a scratchbuild or a kit? The Paddlebox was a Nu-Cast kit, I think they also did the Adams Jubilee. I've no idea if they are still available anywhere.

I don't know of any kits for the K10 or S11, but PDK do a nice looking kit for for a D15

Cheers,

Dave.

Hello Dave

I must confess that my very small stud of non r-t-r locos have been made/finished for me by a good friend whose unaided eyesight is much the same as mine was 25-odd years ago, and whose skills of hand are far better than mine ever were or could have been. (My L11 is pictured elsewhere). So the choice of kit is not entirely mine. For the immediate future the Kernow BWT will have to suffice, and Modelzone advertise a special edition of the Maunsell N in Bulleid Black (I think number 1460).

But whilst the attention of Hornby and Bachmann is away from ex-LSWR Era3, the temptation for a new kit-build grows, and yes thanks for the suggestion of the D15. It's a handsome beasttie, and a worthy chef d'ouvre for the great man.

We could ask Adam (of this forum) to approve photos of some of the goodies he made earlier.

PB

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Cheers,

Dave.

Nu-Cast did indeed do an A12

post-243-0-49515800-1310376942_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-80258400-1310377410_thumb.jpg

Its a trickly little model to get a reasonable size motor and gear box into, and I hadn't the heart to paint he in unlined black! Nu-cast kits do come up on ebay from time to time it is where I got both my A12 and T14 from.

I also am not aware of a kit for an S11 but I have a Sharp etched brass K10 kit sat under the workbench waiting to be built! PDK and also Bec models do/did kits for the D15. I have a couple of Bec kits.

A contribution from me to this interesting thread (I know I have some pictures of the things I assembled for you somewhere Peter but apparently, they're not to hand at this moment). Anyway, my model of 30225 in EM from a much-adapted* Gibson kit shown running on YMRG's South Junction.

post-256-0-39688600-1310390415_thumb.gif

post-256-0-83487200-1310390437_thumb.gif

Additions include: modified smokebox door and smokebox, full beam compensation, which was a lot of fun and works really well, improved brakegear detail, homemade vacuum pipes and steam heat fittings (pipes removed for the summer) and a typically grotty finish to replicate '225 shortly before withdrawal in '62.

Adam

*Not an easy build and many too many errors as supplied. See Ullypug's blog for some of my thoughts on the matter (in the comments). In short if you must kit-build an O2 in 4mm, go for the Finecast kit.

By way of a change, Adam assembled this Roxey kit. The prototype is an ex LSWR D139 56ft Corridor Brake Third Number 3120 built 1904 and withdrawn 1951. In my modelling period (1938-1947) 3120 seems to have been used mostly "loose", but also to complete a fixed formation set as old stock was withdrawn. Perfect for the Western Division cross-country services behind a T9. It runs as well as it looks and gets regular airings on the home and club layouts.

post-489-0-62776500-1310393196_thumb.jpg

Self Edit

And thanks Muz and Dave for your advice on kits, the brain cells are churning as I write/type.

By way of a change, Adam assembled this Roxey kit. The prototype is an ex LSWR D139 56ft Corridor Brake Third Number 3120 built 1904 and withdrawn 1951. In my modelling period (1938-1947) 3120 seems to have been used mostly "loose", but also to complete a fixed formation set as old stock was withdrawn. Perfect for the Western Division cross-country services behind a T9. It runs as well as it looks and gets regular airings on the home and club layouts.

Thanks for finding that Peter, I do think that these early corridor coaches make for very pleasing models. It is a pity that so few are preserved and of those that are, fewer still are in running condition. There are two LSWR vehicles of this sort of vintage at Blaenavon. I believe that one of their owners has recently died and I do fear a little for their future: an elevation of 1200 feet above sea level in south Wales is not the kindest environment to store wooden bodied carriages in the open...

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Some lovely stuff appearing on here, and thats a terrific O2 Adam. When I saw the photos and the level of detail I thought it was O Gauge!

Interested to hear your thought on the Gibson kit; but I dont think its currently available, and with the rtr version coming it probably wont re-appear.

Many thanks,

Dave.

Thanks for the kind words Dave, you'd think the PECO 'individulay' might be a clue! You're correct that the Gibson kit is not currently available, though I see from the Gibson site that several people (9 currently) have apparently subscribed to one so another batch might appear. The plus is that it will suit the final batch with the taller cab which I don't think the RTR version will allow for and which the Finecast doesn't.

Its failings are partly the fact it was one of the earlier kits in the range: the smokebox design was poor for example: multiple laminates and a great big brass casting (with an undersize smokebox door) which makes the smokebox a scale 4" too long and is an effective heatsink. The near total lack of tabs mean that the body is very difficult to build square, and many of the fittings were generic. The tank fillers were clearly intended for something else, the clacks and boiler backplate supplied were more suited to the GER kits and the cab layout drawing in the instructions was for an LNER J15 (the screw reverse was tippexed out on the master copy, but the raised cab roof the LNER inflicted on these machines was quite distinctive...), though this was immaterial since none of the required parts were in the box. Finally the chassis as designed relied on 0.45 wire for the brake hangers to maintain the squareness of the frames. Not clever.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Its failings are partly the fact it was one of the earlier kits in the range: the smokebox design was poor for example: multiple laminates and a great big brass casting which makes the smokebox a scale 4" too long and is an effective heatsink. The near total lack of tabs mean that the body is very difficult to build square, and many of the fittings were generic. The tank fillers were clearly intended for something else, the clacks and boiler backplate supplied were more suited to the GER kits and the cab layout drawing in the instructions was for an LNER J15 (the screw reverse was tippexed out on the master copy, but the raised cab roof the LNER inflicted on these machines was quite distinctive...), though this was immaterial since none of the required parts were in the box. Finally the chassis as designed relied on 0.45 wire for the brake hangers to maintain the squareness of the frames. Not clever.

Adam

Oo nasty... Makes the Finecast kit sound like the better buy.

Dave.

The boiler was the really big problem - replacement with one from the Finecast kit would sort that as it's a nice casting - everything else is surmountable quite easily.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

A contribution from me to this interesting thread (I know I have some pictures of the things I assembled for you somewhere Peter but apparently, they're not to hand at this moment). Anyway, my model of 30225 in EM from a much-adapted* Gibson kit shown running on YMRG's South Junction.

post-256-0-39688600-1310390415_thumb.gif

post-256-0-83487200-1310390437_thumb.gif

Additions include: modified smokebox door and smokebox, full beam compensation, which was a lot of fun and works really well, improved brakegear detail, homemade vacuum pipes and steam heat fittings (pipes removed for the summer) and a typically grotty finish to replicate '225 shortly before withdrawal in '62.

Adam

*Not an easy build and many too many errors as supplied. See Ullypug's blog for some of my thoughts on the matter (in the comments). In short if you must kit-build an O2 in 4mm, go for the Finecast kit.

Your lining puts that on my H to shame. I wish I could do as good a job. :cry:

Another O2 for the collection, also assembled by Adam. SEF kit plus home-brewed PP fittings. The real Number 182 lived at Plymouth Friary, and was rostered for the Plymouth inner suburban duties around Friary District for many years.

post-489-0-60268200-1310548538_thumb.jpg

As may be expected, this 4mm number 182 runs properly. My insulfrog points test the pickups, but as I run 182 with a pull-push pair (Set 734) made from brass, the combined weight provides sufficient inertia to push the loco over the plastic crossing.

post-489-0-57634300-1310548710_thumb.jpg

Archived