Colour matches for Halfords rattle cans.

Hi all.

As in the subtitle, I know this has been discussed before, but I looked at the list from the RAF Kinloss site as I needed a tin to match Rail Blue.

The list shows the match to be VW Pargas Blue, however, I can't find this colour in any of my local stores and believe it has been discontinued. I'll probably get some JLTRT paint, or take a Rail Blue loco to the car shop to see if I can find a decent alternative match but wondered if anyone out there in RMweb land knew of an alternative match to save me some hassle.....? :unsure:

Cheers.

Sean.

This question of Halford rattle-can railway colours comes round so regularly that I am suprised it hasnt been pasted somewhere convenient.

Hi coachmann.

I do have the full list copied and pasted, so can put it up again if anyone wants it? Murphys law dictates that the only colour I actually need is the one that's discontinued! :rolleyes:

Aint it always the way!.....

Cheers.

Sean.

While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a spraycan colour for concrete sleepers? We've got the wooden "Sleeper grime" etc. but the concrete colour has so far eluded us. (2nd choice would be to airbrush, with conventional brush painting coming in a distant 3rd)

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

As the Halfords range is somewhat hit-and-miss as to what's available (seems a disproportionate amount of 1970s colours for the modern market), in the past I've used a independent auto paint retailer. They could make up any colour, and variations thereon into a rattle can - cellulose, but I can't recall problems with the spray quality.

Haven't used them for a while, but worth phoning around your local auto supply places.

Be careful about getting the stuff mixed at Halfords.

The made up paint is good, BUT the can nozzle they use for the made up stuff is nowhere near as good as the pre filled cans.

There are other 'near' colours, and to be honest, if you are going to weather the finish I bet no one will notice anyway!

Be careful about getting the stuff mixed at Halfords.

The made up paint is good, BUT the can nozzle they use for the made up stuff is nowhere near as good as the pre filled cans.

There are other 'near' colours, and to be honest, if you are going to weather the finish I bet no one will notice anyway!

Thanks BlackRat.

Could you suggest a "near" colour for rail blue?

I just mailed DesA the Halfords list I have, (Pasted below for reference), and whilst I was doing that, I saw that the Garter Blue and Rail Blue were both listed as VW Pargas Blue. I can't see this being correct, but may be wrong?

I also had a look on the JLTRT site, but they're £16 plus postage which does seem a little excessive, unless they're good quality and large tins?

Anywho, heres the list.

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}Any roof grey Halford's plastic bumper

MR/LMS/BR red Rover damask red

GWR/BR loco green Rover Brooklands green

GWR/BR loco green Ford laurel green

BR diesel light green band Ford highland green

BR coach carmine Ford rosso red

BR coach cream Vauxhall gazelle beige

BR coach cream (well worn) Peugeot antelope beige

BR diesel blue VW Pargas blue

BR steam loco blue Peugeot royal blue

BR loco yellow warning panel Vauxhall mustard yellow

LNER garter blue/BR diesel blue, but slightly more blue Ford fjord blue, less green

LNER garter blue VW Pargas blue

LMS Coronation Blue Rover Pageant mid-blue

Stanier Coronation blue Peugeot royal blue

GWR or Pullman coach brown Rover russet brown

GWR coach cream Rover Primula yellow

SR dark olive green Land Rover Coniston green

LNWR/LYR coach plum lower panels Daewoo dark red

LNWR coach bluey-white upper panels Daewoo Casablanca white

CR steam loco Peugeot royal blue

SDJR blue Rover midnight blue

CR dark blue Rover midnight blue

Stroudley LBSCR ochre BMC tan

LBSCR umber Vauxhall Brazil brown

N.Staffs maroon Vauxhall Gambia red

NER coach red Vauxhall Gambia red

LYR coach upper panels Plastikote nut brown

Cheers.

Sean.

LNER 'Garter Blue' and BR 'Rail Blue' are definitely not the same thing! IMHO, whoever chose the latter shade had an off day (Perhaps it was cheap?)

I have my doubts as to GWR 'Windsor (coach) Brown' and Pullman umber being the same also. The GWR colour is lighter to my eye.

LNER 'Garter Blue' and BR 'Rail Blue' are definitely not the same thing! IMHO, whoever chose the latter shade had an off day (Perhaps it was cheap?)

I have my doubts as to GWR 'Windsor (coach) Brown' and Pullman umber being the same also. The GWR colour is lighter to my eye.

I'd be inclined to agree with you Il Grifone...... Especially since I've just got back from Halfords empty handed. I did find a suggestion that Ford Fjord Blue was a near match to Rail Blue. Alas this is not the case and so I'm still looking for a Rail Blue match!

I actually took a Hornby 50 body, A Bachmann Deltic and a 37 that I'd painted myself using Railmatch. All three were slightly different in shade, but I just couldn't find anything even near to any of them.

I'm thinking the JLTRT sprays are getting more appealing!

Cheers.

Sean.

When I was younger, we used to compare the colour of proprietory models with Precision Paints to see if the plastic RTR stuff needed repainting. These days people seem to accept proprietory model colours as gospel and question the Precision and Howes range of railway colours. Perhaps it is innevitable as we move further and further away form the days when the colours could be seen in traffic and more people only buy as distinct from being builders.

The Halford range given above is extremely useful. When I wasnt having cellulose paint mixed by J. T. Keeps I used to buy car colours in pint tins if they were as close as dammit. I just wish I could remember what I used for GWR cream (I think it was Triumph Jonquil) and GWR brown. As an aside, Pullman brown was darker than the GWR brown used from the 1920's onwards.

Ford Rosso red as mentioned in the Halford list does ring a bell for BR carmine. I've used Alfa Romeo AE530 colour for many years since beng given 2½ pints of the stuff...!:)

When I was younger, we used to compare the colour of proprietory models with Precision Paints to see if the plastic RTR stuff needed repainting. These days people seem to accept proprietory model colours as gospel and question the Precision and Howes range of railway colours. Perhaps it is innevitable as we move further and further away form the days when the colours could be seen in traffic and more people only buy as distinct from being builders.

The Halford range given above is extremely useful. When I wasnt having cellulose paint mixed by J. T. Keeps I used to buy car colours in pint tins if they were as close as dammit. I just wish I could remember what I used for GWR cream (I think it was Triumph Jonquil) and GWR brown. As an aside, Pullman brown was darker than the GWR brown used from the 1920's onwards.

Thanks Coachmann, I'd be inclined to agree with you on this one too, (I'm doing a lot of agreeing this afternoon.....).

I base my comment on the fact that the Railmatch paints, in my opinion, are very accurate. In fact, I seem to recall one of the Green repaints in the early 90's actually used Railmatch paint!

The 37 I'd repainted is a little lighter than the RTR 50 and 55. I have a picture of D9002 in ex works Blue and this actually looks very light compared with the colour used on the Bachmann and Hornby models. I know you can't rely 100% on the older colour pictures, but I think manufacturers probably use a darker Rail Blue as it always seemed to darken after a few trips on the main line.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Maybe others will agree on this who remember seeing ex-works locos. Class 40's in spanking new Rail Blue in the 1970s always looked lighter than usual. It came through on colour photos as well. One 40 that sticks in my mind as looking quite bright was one of the ex-Royal engines that had been demoted to working stone trains out of Penmaenmawr. So maybe the Rail Blue did darken with age if not looked after.

At the other extreme, I recall seeing some particularly light blue Class 33's when they started to come down to North Wales in the 1980's but on these locos the paintwork looked bleached and weathered as if it has been left on a beach!

Maybe others will agree on this who remember seeing ex-works locos. Class 40's in spanking new Rail Blue in the 1970s always looked lighter than usual. It came through on colour photos as well. One 40 that sticks in my mind as looking quite bright was one of the ex-Royal engines that had been demoted to working stone trains out of Penmaenmawr. So maybe the Rail Blue did darken with age if not looked after.

At the other extreme, I recall seeing some particularly light blue Class 33's when they started to come down to North Wales in the 1980's but on these locos the paintwork looked bleached and weathered as if it has been left on a beach!

Not just my eyes deceiving me then Coachmann......

Well, I'll be modelling D9002 in ex works Blue later, so I'll be needing something like the railmatch Blue.

The news is, I've ordered a tin of Rail Blue from Charlie at DC kits. I'm not sure if it's home made or bought in, but I'll have a try out and see how I go with it. It was half the price of the JLTRT aerosols, but I'm hoping the finish will be decent.

Ironically, I only need it for a couple of fan grilles for now.....

I'll keep you updated.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi all.

There is still an insufficient number of Greens (for me) in the Halfords range of colours. Especially Southern Malachite (Both pre. and post war), and BR's post 1956 version of.

Possibly, because Green was/is consdered an unlucky colour in motoring / motor racing circles. :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

These automotive paints (acrylic) might provide a result ?. That's if you've got a supplier nearby.

http://carplan.co.uk...color_match.pdf

l've attempted to e-mail Tetrosyl, and Carplan for a colour chart, but, so far, no reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ian some good stuff there, nothing for the BP though

I have since been told that Lada adriatic blue is a good match. Have not tried it yet.

I see on the bradford site they list adriatic blue for the prototype Deltic.

Having never see a model of the BP in the flesh i am not sure, but i would have thought the deltic was lighter than the BP

Thanks again

Stephen Redfern

• RMweb Premium

You have to scroll down to the bottom of this page, the scroll bar is rather lost between the info pane and the distracting flashing banner ads. on the right of the page:-

http://www.bradfordmrc.org.uk/useful%20data.html

EDIT

The links to BS/RAL at the end of their table don't work for me, try these instead:-

http://www.ifspowdercoating.co.uk/bs_381c_colour_chart.htm

http://www.icomsps.co.uk/colour_chart.htm

http://www.nspcoatings.co.uk/bs381c-colour-charts.php

Archived