1971 Lydney TT Layout

Hi Everyone,

I was having a tidy up the other day, and found an old 1971 Railway Modeller, featuring one of my favourite old layouts, "Lydney" in TT/3mm. Created by Alan Smith, it featured prototypical operation with a variety of routes on a quite complicated track layout. I'm not sure when the layout was started, but it seemed to progress through several rebuilds and expansions, the 1971 article mentioning that the lower level would soon be converted to double track. I've already done an internet search, but i can only find passing references to the layout, which i believe was based in Yorkshire and was popular at exhibitions.

Does anyone know what became of "Lydney", does it still exist? Does anyone know of any other photographs of the layout, especially in it's later stages?

Cheers, Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Everyone,

I was having a tidy up the other day, and found an old 1971 Railway Modeller, featuring one of my favourite old layouts, "Lydney" in TT/3mm. Created by Alan Smith, it featured prototypical operation with a variety of routes on a quite complicated track layout. I'm not sure when the layout was started, but it seemed to progress through several rebuilds and expansions, the 1971 article mentioning that the lower level would soon be converted to double track. I've already done an internet search, but i can only find passing references to the layout, which i believe was based in Yorkshire and was popular at exhibitions.

Does anyone know what became of "Lydney", does it still exist? Does anyone know of any other photographs of the layout, especially in it's later stages?

Cheers, Brian.

The answer to one of your early questions is quite easy. The opening sentence states that 'Lydney' previously appeared as RotM in April 1963 & November 1965 (neither of which I possess), but I would assume those articles would provide information as to when the layout started.

No idea of its later history, I'm afraid.

Kevin Martin

Thanks Kevin,

Just dug out the magazine again, you're quite right, it had already appeared in R Mod. in 1963 and 1965, although sadly i don't have those editions either. Does anyone know if it appeared again in the magazine (or others) after the 1971 piece? I would imagine the starting date of construction would be shortly after the advent of the Tri-ang TT range, which forms the bulk of the rolling stock. To me, the later stages would be far more interesting, together with a later trackplan. I also wonder whether any colour photographs exist?

Cheers, Brian

That was a great issue: Vivien Thompson on structure modelling, ERH Francis on building coaches, Freezer on the GWR's French atlantics, Peter Tatlow and a rail crane drawing.

I may well be wrong, memory doesn't always function immaculately! There was a snippet in a later 1970s RM to the effect that Alan Smith broke the layout up, and (I think) went on a finescale jaunt. The layout had in the words of the 1971 article 'grown like Topsy' (I had to look that reference up without benefit of t'internet) and its' construction with many unplanned additions was telling against it.

Thanks 34C,

You mention "a finescale jaunt", i did find an "Alan Smith" on the Leeds MRS site with a 3mm finescale (NER?) layout, who i suspect is one and the same person. Perhaps i'd better PM him, to find out what happened to the old layout, although i also suspect that the Lydney layout is no more?

Cheers, Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks 34C,

You mention "a finescale jaunt", i did find an "Alan Smith" on the Leeds MRS site with a 3mm finescale (NER?) layout, who i suspect is one and the same person. Perhaps i'd better PM him, to find out what happened to the old layout, although i also suspect that the Lydney layout is no more?

Cheers, Brian.

Ah, now with a bit of a hint from you, I have found a couple of articles by 'Alan Smith'.

Point Construction in 3mm scale - Model Railways 1972 April page 443 & follow up in October page 792.

Since it is to 3mm scale and shortly after, it probably is the same author.

In MRJ No. 131, there is an MRJ Portfolio (photos) of a 2mm scale model of Midsomer Norton station S&DJR by 'Alan Smith', although I have no idea if it is the same Alan Smith. That's a problem with databases, you can't be 100% sure if the same person, especially with very likely there is a lot of Alan Smith's.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure I ever saw either of the articles mentioned, but am quite certain that in another edition of RM there was a pic of a feature from the layout - the disused branch, which CJF described as "well known". I infer from that that AS had added this feature on his layout before anyone else of note. People who think outside the box always deserve a mention.

Guest Natalie Graham

Hatfield Moor was, I think, the name of his NER layout that followed Lydney. That featured in Railway Modeller too around 1977 or 78. I think it was still to 12mm gauge but was more of an attempt to portray a protoypical looking station. It was a very nice piece of modelling, I saw it at a show in Doncaster.

I vaguely remember reading (or seeing at an exhibition) that a society or group took on the Lydney layout after Alan started on Hatfield Moor. I believe he worked for BR in the Civil Engineering department with bridges being his speciality.

The disused branch was the result of his extending the original layout.

Good point there Oldddudders, about the disused branch.

I've just looked at the 1971 trackplan again, and there it is, running off from Ashley Hill station to the hidden sidings. Maybe the "disused branch" was part of the original running track, before the later expansion? You can't really see it in the 1971 pics, perhaps just a glimpse of the cutting, so i also don't know as to whether it has rusty track or no track at all?

Other features that make this layout stand out, are the extensive sidings with two small marshalling yards, a DMU depot (possibly another first) and generous carriage sidings. Add to this the complexity of routes, if you can get your head around them, it must of been great fun to operate. It looked good too.

Thanks for all other replies.

Cheers, Brian.

I've got most of the 'Lydney' articles that appeared over the years but can't remember which issues! Yes, the disused branch was part of the original layout (which was on one board, with Lydney Town station as a terminus over a fiddle yard on a continuous run). The first extension was to double the size of the layout, making Lydney Town into a through station and extending the continuous run and fiddle yard. It was at this stage that the branch became 'disused'.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

As far as you can recall, was there another Lydney article in Railway Modeller after 1971? It's quite funny to be talking about disused sections of someone's model railway, which just goes to show how complicated the layout was. I also like the fact that complete trains could be turned around via the various junctions. The clear acetate uncoupling ramps on the track are something else that stick in the mind, in some RM pics they are quite inconspicuous, in others slightly more obvious.

Cheers, Brian.

Thanks for checking the other RMod issues.

When looking at photos of the layout, nothing bares any resemblence to the real Lydney in Gloucestershire, not even a hint of the Severn Railway Bridge or the Forest of Dean, but then the layout did have an atmosphere all of it's own. As far as i can make out, the loco fleet was fairly appropriate, mostly a mixture of GW and LMS, but including a few exotic guest engines. The main marshalling yard had a home-made Class 13 double shunter, inspired by the three at Tinsley, perhaps this was the first model of the class, at least in TT? Also present was a blue "Skinhead" Brush Type 2 (Class 31), was this ever made by Tri-ang in blue or was it a repaint?

Cheers, Brian.

Tri-ang only did a skinhead Class 31, there was a small poduction of Blue liveried models towards the end co-inciding with the blue grey Mk1 coaches. Hard to find a real blue Class 31 today although many repaints are around.

Steve

Also present was a blue "Skinhead" Brush Type 2 (Class 31), was this ever made by Tri-ang in blue or was it a repaint?

Cheers, Brian.

If it is the same Allen Smith he lives in the Keighley area & happens to be a good friend of mine i'm not sure about past layouts but i know he has dabbled in various different gauges over the years & now models P4. Next time i am over at his house i shall ask the question regarding the layout & if it is the same Allen i will see if he has any info.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

If it is the same Allen Smith he lives in the Keighley area & happens to be a good friend of mine i'm not sure about past layouts but i know he has dabbled in various different gauges over the years & now models P4. Next time i am over at his house i shall ask the question regarding the layout & if it is the same Allen i will see if he has any info.

Simon

\no its Alan Smith who lives in Leeds and is a very active member of the Leeds MRS.

Lydney was "given" to Leeds MRS and when we had to move out of Dock Street it was left behind as, by that time , part of the roof had fallen on it! I did operate Lydney a couple of times - while fun it took a bit of understanding as like topsy it grew,

Since then Alan has had Hatfield Moor ( which I think has now been "skipped") but still has Everingham - a layout which is a joy to play with. He has built up a very good selection of kit and scratchbuilt locos and stock for that.

Being an ex PW man his pointwork and trackwork is superb in whatever scale he is building in. Currently he is building some C&L points for our new 4mm layout at Leeds in between building 3mm and 7mm locomotives and stock to a very high standard while helping to finish the "Club" 3mm layout which is Masbury - Somerset and Dorset.

Thanks for that Chessie,

So it seems that poor old Lydney is no more. If it was left behind in the derelict building, there's always the chance it was salvaged, but i doubt it. Obviously the stock and removable buildings would have been saved, but surely the track was worth removing too? Perhaps it ended up as a bare carcass?

Cheers, Brian.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Brian

no it was all skipped at 26 A Dock Street - which has since become a £1m penthouse! We couldn't get to the layout onve the roof fell on it - it also "did" for part of Dave Walkers' Laxford Bridge O gauge layout...

• 6 years later...

There's an oblique mention of Lydney in either the October or November 2017 RMs - there is a reference to the Leeds MRC having to abandon some of their layouts after the roof caved in and the building became unsafe. Although Lydney isn't actually named, the earlier posts in this thread confirm that Lydney was one of the layouts involved.

Edit - October RM. Lydney is mentioned by name elsewhere in the article.

Archived