HO - Anyone using Semi-Scale Wheel-sets - 88's?

trisonic

Can you use them (.088) on ME track and turnouts and can you use a mix of "88's" and NMRA regulars? I mean on a layout, of course.

I just can't imagine it is worth changing over every piece of stock to .088's; you may as well go Proto87................

Best, Pete.

I've restricted myself to buying only "Code 88" wheelsets for several years now. I do a lot of coal and grain modelling at my local club and the reduced tire width is very obvious to me on these cars.

We intermix NMRA and Code 88 with no issues at all, and a lot of our track is well worn - most of it is older Shinohara or more recent Mico-Engineering and Walthers, with some other flex mixed in.

Can you use them (.088) on ME track and turnouts and can you use a mix of "88's" and NMRA regulars? I mean on a layout, of course.

I just can't imagine it is worth changing over every piece of stock to .088's; you may as well go Proto87................

Best, Pete.

It all depends on where you are looking from. If you layout is down low and most of your stock has the wheels well hidden then no, it's not worth the effort. If you have a layout that is set higher and, like HD mentions, have exposed wheelsets then it does make a difference. I've run semi-scale on Peco and Shinohara as well with no problems. As for going to P87, a much bigger leap. Think of semi scale as EM and P87 as P4, same sort of difference except for the gauge bit....

I have done most of my stock over to semi scale but it is for visiting just now, the home layout is P4.

Cheers,

David

linked with the above, has anyone tried adopting the OO-SF turnout standards? [The one with the 16.2mm track gauge where it matters, through a turnout's crossing?].....

The objective being, a finer scale appearance at turnouts, yet still able to use RTR wheelsets?

The difficulty for me with OO-SF is that the gauges fit no known HO rail in the USA - I'm buggered if I'm going to be importing British rail to get it. I have received drawing of the gauges in order to suit ME Code 70 (it's the width of the "head" of the rail that is crucial) but I have been unable to find anyone to make them for me here. Btw I'm not sure whether the gauges are for British FB either.

Best, Pete.

Hi..the 'gauge' is from the inside head of the rail...the thickness really ought not to matter?

Prototype rail head widths varied throughout the ages too...

Now, if you need a gauge to actually hold the rail upright, you might be disappointed.....[british bullhead rail should actually be inclined inwards at...I think....1:20...]

The really important bit is the check rail gauge.

The actual running rail gauge can be measured using those new-fangled eeelektronik micrometres...

Also...the track gauge [16.2mm] need only be at that width through the turnout area.....plain track can be whatever you fancy..since gauge widening and gauge tolerances were nominal figures anyway on hte prototype..

In fact , SSFS might suit the narrower wheeltread width even better.......?

FB rail only presents problems really, at two locations on a turnout....

[1] when constructing the crossing vee...and

[2] when trying to get the correct check rail gap

The former is simply a case of filing away the offending length of rail foot, and the latter is simply a case of......fling away the rail foot?

So, the issue with FB rail is really, the width of the rail foot, rather than the head?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

Code 88 wheels (RP-25/88, width .088", 2.2mm) are too narrow for use with standard H0 and 00-BF standards. They will not be fully supported when running through crossings (frogs) -- they will drop in the gap giving bumpy running.

The maximum flangeway gap for full support is 1.0mm, i.e. these wheels are for EM, DOGA-Fine, 00-SF and H0-SF. They have largely replaced the old EMGS wheel profile (2.3mm wide), most EM modellers now using these RP-25/88 wheels.

I know they are becoming popular in the USA for use with standard H0. I can only assume that folks are so used to bumpy running through crossings that they either don't notice it or believe it is inevitable.

re the 00-SF gauge tools. Yes they do fit UK flat-bottom rail (code 82). The head width of nearly all UK standard-gauge rail, bullhead and flat-bottom, is the same - 2.3/4"

The Australian Model Railway Association have adopted dimensions similar to 00-SF for their H0-Fine standard and may have some gauge tools available to fit other rail sections: http://www.amra.asn.au

regards,

Martin.

I run almost exclusively code 88 wheels on my (US) rolling stock. I haven't noticed any problems at all!

No bumps over switches, no derailments or otherwise strange behaviour.

I use Peco code 75 rails and have medium switches as minimum, it works perfectly.

The only code 88 wheels that I have had a problem with was some from NWSL..... It seems as they had a lower flange compared to the others I have.

Can't say I've ever noticed any difference in running despite having a mixture of normal and semi scale wheels. Martin's point might be valid in the UK, but I think NMRA dimensions mean the flange is supported throughout the crossing V - not by the rails but by the bottom of the moulded v. hence why Roco and other european stock doesn't like Peco Code 83 - the shallow depth at the V lifts the wheel treads clear of the rail if you have deep NEM flanges.

The narrower width of the semi-scale wheels doesn't seem to cause a problem, unless, as M Graff mentions, you get some with reduced flange depth as well.

I may be barking up the wrong tree though...

Reboxx makes .088" width wheels and provides a range of axle lengths which can be handy if you have a truck frame that is a bit on the wide side. http://www.reboxx.com/wheelsets.htm

I've built a few turnouts using Fastracks jigs and the wheels run through them very smoothly. They also run smoothly through an old Shinohara code 70 turnout that I found in my junk, I don't know how they would perform on other brands of track.

I just double-checked my rolling-stock that has semi-scale wheels and it ran through my Peco code 100 insulfrogs very smoothly, no dropping or bouncing. So I see no problem.

Gene

Archived