Radstock Sentinels.

And ... what an ugly beast! CSP's kit for a S&D Sentinel shunter. I am, of course, referring to the prototype, not the kit which should be quite good. Any takers?

Were any built for any other users, industrial users perhaps? I am tempted I have to say, but difficult to justify if purely a S&D beast.

Were any built for any other users, industrial users perhaps? I am tempted I have to say, but difficult to justify if purely a S&D beast.

There is a very similar preserved industrial example - in fact, I believe that this was one of the sources used in the production of the kit.

I am sure that CSP can provide more details.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not sure if I should thank you for that John, probably gonna cost me £100.00 or so! ;)

I'll look into it, I like the look of it and can see one working at a foundry.....

Thanks

Arthur

Edit: Yes, a little research shows that a former industrial version, Croydon Gasworks 'Joyce', is currently under restoration at Midsomer Norton. The LMS/S&D versions had a cut down cab but otherwise pretty much identical.

In my view it is the cab that makes it "ugly" - it just looks out of proportion. At £135 (according to MRJ) for the kit including wheels and High Level gearbox it sounds like good value. I would probably like to see someone else's venture into building one before me (I have enough on the books already) but CSP have a pretty good reputation.

I would hope they have the correct details for the S&D version and possibly the different parts to build nto the preserved version.

Useful to know that it was in industrial use as well as that extends the potential for this kit well beyond the narrow field of those umbilically attached to the S&D :D

...Edit: Yes, a little research shows that a former industrial version, Croydon Gasworks 'Joyce', is currently under restoration at Midsomer Norton. The LMS/S&D versions had a cut down cab but otherwise pretty much identical.

I take it you've found this site, Arthur? If so, others may find it interesting.

Nick

I take it you've found this site, Arthur? If so, others may find it interesting.

Nick

Nick, Thanks for that and, no, I hadn't seen it, very useful indeed. The ones I found were;

http://www.sdjr.co.uk/pages/general.html

and this by our very own Mr. Nevard

http://www.nevard.com/sdjr/midsomer.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26DJR_Sentinels

There is also a page about the kit itself, some more photos and confirmation of Kenton's price details, on model-railways-live.co.uk , though I cannot now get the page to open.

Arthur

Good link, I hadn't realised previously that the Y10 was essentially a double cabbed version of the S&D type Sentinel I quite like the look of the S&D Sentinels including that low cab, gives them a very purposeful look.

As I understand it they were both D.E.D.G engines, ( Double Engine, Double Geared), all built in 1929 so yes a lot of similarities between the 2 "classes",

And the subject of an Impetus kit.

If you can get hold of one! Alternatively it's dead easy to scratchbuild one, there's no complex shapes and can easily be made with a few handtools and a power bogie. My efforts include a couple of rough outline sketches enough to build your own Y10 - as per this link. It'll be on display on the Scale7 stand at the Wigan Show this weekend if you want a closer look.

• 2 months later...
...I'll let you know when it arrives...

The timing of my order was a little unfortunate. Roger Slade told me that he had sold over forty kits in the first couple of weeks, so I had to wait for new etches, castings, gearbox, etc. However, earlier this week a package arrived from CSP. I immediately started reading the instructions and, despite having far too many projects already on the workbench, I made a start on the Sentinel. A few odd hours in the evenings has resulted in a basic chassis and running plate.

post-6746-0-73642700-1328988186.jpg

More details coming soon on my workshop blog.

Nick

Archived