Hornby R8247 point decoder driving 2 points per output...possible?

brixham

Hi..

I can't find an answer to this....

I'm wiring up a friends layout, and the next stage is to add point decoders.

Can the R8247 drive two Hornby solenoids per output? This is for loop points and crossovers.

The instructions don't mention this, nor does a search on this forum.

If the decoder is only suitable/rated for 1 solenoid per output, as we really only want to have 1 set of keystrokes to change two points, having two decoders with the same address would operate the loops points and crossovers simultaneously.

Malcolm

Hi

Yes it can.

Connect the two motors into the same block of three terminals, ensuring the correct wire from both points Normal (Straight) position is in the + and the Reverse (Turnout) position is in the -. Both commons on the two motors go into the C terminal.

Ideal for a cross-over pair of points.

Malcolm,

I can assure you that what you suggest does work. I have several R8247s driving more than one Hornby surface mounted point motor - in fact one port on such a decoder operates four points simultaneously. As you say, the alternative is to give two R8247s the same addresses but that means you end up with four duplicate addresses. Hornby's advice is that you should not control more than one point motor from each port but I have had no trouble with mine in the last two years - and it saves the cost of an extra R8247.

Harold.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do this as well

have had no problems

have now installed Railmaster as well

with this you can adjust the fire timing to give the capacittor time to charge

with railmaster you can set up routes

when i select "Mainline" on my riute table it switches 7 points through 3 outputs on 1 decoder

they operated in sucsession ( you can count 7 clicks as they go over )

rgds

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys....works 2 Hornby surface point motors each driving a standard Hornby point.

Now have some other issues....my friend has mislaid the instructions for the point motors..which have the 2 screws in a small plastic bag...

And we need to find somewhere to concel the point decoder box. Is it possible to remove all the plastic housing, just leaving the circuit board? Then it's easier to conceal....I should say that access to underneath the layout is impossible.

Malcolm

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible to remove all the plastic housing, just leaving the circuit board? Then it's easier to conceal....I should say that access to underneath the layout is impossible.

Malcolm

Hi,

i would say dont do it as if you do and the decoder goes wrong you won't be able to get it replaced under warrenty as you will have invaladated it.

I'm not saying that it cant be done but just to make you aware.

cheers

Simon

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Peco PL10, PL11, Seep PMx range, Hornby R8243 and R8014 can all be treaded the same.

The all have roughly 3 to 4 OHM coils.

The exception is the Peco PL10W which as a higher resistance coil and is idea for operating from a DCC decoder. But all the above types should work with a DCC decoder and many decoders are able to operate two motors from one output.

Archived