More from 'Galatia, KS'

warbonnetuk

Hi all

A good while a go following a front cover appearance on the NMRA's 'Roundhouse' mag I posted a few pics of my layout 'Galatia, KS' with the promise of more as I finished off some the detail that needed adding. Since then progress has been a bit slow but with a show outing in a couple of weeks I've made sufficent progress to get some updated shots. Hope you find something that tickles yer fancy...

P.S. the show in question is City of Canterbury MRS

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49682-canterbury-exhibition-21st-and-22nd-january-2012/

Cheers

Dan Spalding

post-9070-0-33589100-1326320213_thumb.jpg

post-9070-0-98584300-1326320235_thumb.jpg

post-9070-0-20112000-1326320268_thumb.jpg

Mal

Hopefully there should be a rudimentary pic of the trackplan for the layout. That and the construction stage pic hopefully give an idea how the layout looks complete. Overall dimensions are 13ft x 22 inchs wide split into 4 boards; 3ft 3in being just short enough to fit between the wheel arches of a Mazda 5.

STOP PRESS: As well as Canterbury show 'Galatia' will now also be appearing at Eurotrack, Feb 25/26

Cheers

Dan

post-9070-0-97970600-1326451433.png

post-9070-0-74651400-1326451650_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dan,

I like the plan. You have achieved a nice balance of operational interest while maintaining a look of spaciousness, rather than cramming in as much track

and sidings as possible, which is too often seen with US switching layouts.

regards,

Mal

Mal

To extend the operational interest a bit further I use a 'spot' system a la Lance Mindheim's layouts.

The Agri supply company spur has three slots:

Oppersite the loading dock door (for boxcars)

Over a drop grid under the track (for covered hoppers)

Next to a storage tank for liquid animal feed (QLF tanks)

The team track has two slots

Oppersite the loading dock - for boxcars / reefers / flatcars

In front of the loading dock - for cement hoppers / plastic pellet hoppers (both for loading into road trailers)

The Grain elevator has one spot where loading can take place so all cars need to circulated through before being moved off. Again to make it a little more interesting the elevator has it's own switcher in the form of the Trackmobile or now a 44tonner (pics to come)

Cheers

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I like the plan. You have achieved a nice balance of operational interest while maintaining a look of spaciousness, rather than cramming in as much track

and sidings as possible, which is too often seen with US switching layouts.

regards,

Mal

Hi Dan

I'm showing my new layout 'The Dan Patch Line' (Progressive Rail) at Eurotrack Eastleigh. Look forward to meeting up with you there - always good to see another RMWebber!

Cheers

Dave

Archived