D600s

Captain Cuttle

Plenty in various diesel hydraulic albums etc, including for D602

Nice b/w one in David Cable's 'Hydraulics in the West'

Couple in Hugh Dady's 'Heyday of the Hydraulics'

Couple in 'Diesel Pioneers' (the 1992 paperback by Robert Stephens, not the more recent David Clough book of the same name).

• RMweb Gold

Now she looks lovely!

Quite agree - apart from those tatty looking 'add on' 4 digit headcode boxes. The D600s actually had quite a stylish front end and it began to show up a bit better once all the nose door and other oddments were dealt with - just a shame the 4 digit boxes weren't added in a more sympathetic fashion

Plenty in Heyday Of The Warships in colour and of course Power Of The Warships in B & W.

In a back issue of Railway Magazine afew years back, there was a genuine artist's impression of one in crimson and cream ( same issue had extra Western names in ) !!

Looking forward to my Dapol/Kernow D600 Active in BR blue FYE.

Can somebody do a photoshop in WR Maroon please............??!!

One of the class ended up in Woodham's scrapyard surrounded by steam locos. There was a big effort being put into saving every one of the steam engines, but I never saw any interest at all in preserving the D600, even as an empty shell. One missed opportunity we look back on now, but believe me there was little or no interest at all in preserving the early diesels. Quite the opposite, the attitude was "Serve the b*ggers right".

One of the class ended up in Woodham's scrapyard surrounded by steam locos. There was a big effort being put into saving every one of the steam engines, but I never saw any interest at all in preserving the D600, even as an empty shell. One missed opportunity we look back on now, but believe me there was little or no interest at all in preserving the early diesels. Quite the opposite, the attitude was "Serve the b*ggers right".

Two in fact: D600 and D601. And there were slogans on the latter, certainly, demonstrating an interest or keenness for her to be saved.

Two in fact: D600 and D601. And there were slogans on the latter, certainly, demonstrating an interest or keenness for her to be saved.

Yes, I saw them, but never heard of a society or club being formed to raise the funds. I may be wrong but I think the engines had been removed and they were empty shells. The great advantage of the diesel hydraulics was that they did not have large amounts of copper inside, so one could have been had for scrap value from Dai Woodham. Perhaps it was because it was without the engine and hydraulic drive it was regarded as unfeasible.

Edit :- Follow this link.

http://www.railblue....s_scrapyard.htm

Thanks for those, doing D602 in green syp circa 1963/4. apparently they were all slightly different re side grilles but I dont know what the differences were. Has anyone got any cab interior photos?

Al

They had the heavy cast two piece grilles on the radiators replaced with lighter mesh grilles at overhaul in the early 60's.

• RMweb Gold

I think encribed in her headcode boxes was "the end" in true doors style. There is a photo in my friends archive of yours truly stood on the roof of D601 in such a state in 1976, long since razor blades.

Neil

Thanks for those, doing D602 in green syp circa 1963/4. apparently they were all slightly different re side grilles but I dont know what the differences were. Has anyone got any cab interior photos?

Al

There is a cab interior photo in 'Diesel Hydraulic Locomotives Of The Western Region' by Brian Reed

David & Charles

ISBN 0-7153-6769-2

Al

The Irwell Press 'Book Of The Warships' covers the D6xx's detail differences very well, with dates for the various modifications too ;)

• RMweb Premium

early rail blue seems to crop up now and again, as to were there actual different blues e.g. 'chromatic'

i've read that it could be down to no more than a new paint spec applied (i.e. physically) in different manners with different prep/finish, so much so that the 'same' colour can appear flatter/shinier/deeper/lighter etc etc

no ulterior motives or stirring going on, i'm just wondering if it's ever been proved/disproved either way?

no ulterior motives or stirring going on, i'm just wondering if it's ever been proved/disproved either way?

Probably not Keefer, but IMO D602 is not chromatic, any more than D6303 here is. The presence of a small yellow panel doesnt automatically mean it's chromatic, and the Westerns that are usually stated to be chromatic have a distinctly different, almost metallic look to them.

Archived