Refurbished 4CEP from Bachmann model

This is great! Wonderful work there, Davy. It is also very good of you to share it with everyone.

One small suggestion: if you can acquire any Bachmann SO coach you could try swapping the interior into the TSO of your CEP. I'm not sure if it will fit straight in or may need some modifications because of the electrics inside the CEP, but it should be reasonably easy.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi,

Brilliant, what a fantastic conversion. Excellent paint job aswell. I wouldn't mind doing one in Jaffa Cake livery. It would bring back memories of travelling down to Hastings on the their first weekend of operations on that line.

Cheers for now, Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Davyjcrow,

What in interesting topic. You have made a very neat job of the conversion and paintwork on the CEP. Two quetions: Did your window frames have some sort of location into the window apertures? What glue did you use to attach to laser-cut windows to their etched frames?

I ask this as I am about to convert four Bachmann coaches into a 4 CIG with, yes you've guessed already, etched windows and separate window panes (hand-cut). (The sides will be scratch-build though.)

Colin

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done... I'm in agreement with everyone else on it being a really nice job (and we all know it will run nicely too)... can't help thinking that this should have been the variant that Bachmann should have done - those lovely bright livery options - but never mind you have got one all to yourself.... enjoy :)

Well done... I'm in agreement with everyone else on it being a really nice job (and we all know it will run nicely too)... can't help thinking that this should have been the variant that Bachmann should have done - those lovely bright livery options - but never mind you have got one all to yourself.... enjoy :)

Hopefully sods law will now come in to play and they'll announce one in March! ;)

Folks, thanks for the kind comments.. and yes I am fully aware that Bachmann will probably announce one tomorrow. Actually the exact same thing happened when I repainted my EPB into NSE so I consider this as a kind of rain dance as I would like to have a second refurb CEP, but at the moment I couldn't be bothered to do another conversion!

Colin, I did toy with the idea of having a half etch on the back to help center the windows in the apertures but I decided it was another source of potential problems, so I just placed them by hand which while time consuming, worked well enough. To attach the windows to the frames I used regular superglue, albeit very small amounts applied with the tip of a scalpel blade to the back of the window frame before press fitting the pane. I know you can get glue specifically for attaching windows but I didn't have any to hand.

• 2 months later...

oh wow i love your work

im not brave enough to have a go myself however this has me lusting for 1

even more now in this livery and jaffa he!he!

i have always loved them windows on those trains and the funky interier

on some of the trains he!he!

well done all the best from Steve

Edited by Uk_Steve
  • Agree 1

• 11 months later...

Folks, thanks for the kind comments.. and yes I am fully aware that Bachmann will probably announce one tomorrow. Actually the exact same thing happened when I repainted my EPB into NSE so I consider this as a kind of rain dance as I would like to have a second refurb CEP, but at the moment I couldn't be bothered to do another conversion!

This is one reason I am holding off making a DC Kits Tadpole - I know full well that a Hastings set will come out at some point (fingers-crossed for a short, 3-window motor coach), then add a trailer from the 2EPB and hey-presto.

I never raved about NSE myself (I'm a child of BR blue/grey) but this is a superb model. Well done.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

About 22 years ago I made my own 4-BEP from four coaches I had spare (three from a childhood train set and a fourth picked up at an exhibition/swapmeet.) I used an old Hornby HST to provide the motor. I painted it myself (Network South East) and transfers came from Fox Transfers. It definitely captured the look of the real thing, but having seen this, I realize now there was a lot more I could have done. I'll never be up to your standards. I should stick to weathering and detailing RTR models, which I can do a good job with. We all need to find our level, or find the balance between what we're capable of, and what we're reasonably happy with.