Docklands Light Railway in N gauge

I've started a little side project to Cross Street (which is slowing to a decent completion at the moment), as I've enjoyed building the layout so much, I wanted a small project to keep me occupied over the spring/summer. What I've decided to have a go at is revisiting an idea I had for the 2010 challenge that never got beyond a card mock up - modelling the DLR in N gauge.

To start with, I want to see if I can make a reasonable job of a DLR B07 twin car, then build an elevated DLR station, and if I'm happy with the result, when Cross Street is finished, I'll make a small diorama or micro-layout for the unit to run on.

Today I've had a go at a prototype car. What you see here is very rough and ready, so ignore the hideously glue-smeared windows, and there are obviously no doors, details or livery applied - aim is to test the construction, overall shape, and fit onto the Modemo tram chassis I'm using as a donor.

The basic body is plasticard, with OHP printed windows. These will be tinted in the final design I think, as the DLR cars have a light tint applied. It will also help hide the obvious mechanism inside the unit. I will probably apply the livery with a bodyside vinyl decal rather than waterslide transfers, as the livery is quite complex. The model will be about 15mm shorter than reality, a compromise I'm happy to live with.

Other than Bob (N-Train) Davies' 3D printed prototype of a 92 stock unit made around the same time I was looking at the DLR for the 2010 challenge, the DLR is not something I've ever seen, or heard of being modelled in N (or any other scale come to that). If anyone can correct me on that, I'd be keen to see what anyone else has produced.

David

post-6666-0-33205000-1329225765_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-46919100-1329225801_thumb.jpg

Edited by bmthtrains - David
  • Like 1

Other than Bob (N-Train) Davies' 3D printed prototype of a 92 stock unit made around the same time I was looking at the DLR for the 2010 challenge, the DLR is not something I've ever seen, or heard of being modelled in N (or any other scale come to that). If anyone can correct me on that, I'd be keen to see what anyone else has produced.

Paul Burkitt-Gray did start a scratchbuilt set on 00 here on RMWeb, and there was an etched brass kit produced for a B92 set also 00 but I've never seen one completed...

There was a competition to build one when the line originally opened, the winner featuring in the Railway Modeller, I think. Trouble is, that's a tall pile that starts with 1986 and ends with 2000 so it takes some shifting to get to the appropriate date in 1987! I've got a half-built model of the original Island Gardens station in H0 downstairs.

Hmm, seems a trend here - the few attempts to model it all seem to have stalled, for one reason or another. I imagine the fact everything has to be scratchbuilt might put a few people off, and its also an isolated system, so not much opportunity to model 'real' trains as well. I will persevere with this test bodyshell, and if I can get one up to a decent standard, I'll have a go at building a stretch of viaduct with a station, as that will test track, viaduct, 3rd rail, etc - everything I'd really need to build a proper mini-layout.

I'm also tempted to include a bit of LU - those Corgi Olympic underground trains seem to be pretty close to N gauge...

David

I've had a go with the other side of the body shell, and applied some rough and ready decals (they completely fail over the doors, so ignore that bit - its just to see what the livery would look like), and I'm pretty happy that this is the right direction to go.

Big step is going to be how to get the windows flush. I'm tempted to use clear plastic for the sides, mask the window area when I paint it, then apply the OHP transparencies onto the inside, with a vinyl livery design on the outside.

What I am pleased with in these shots is how the roof and front end are looking - definitely got the right shape.

David

post-6666-0-87427300-1329244542_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-08199200-1329244569_thumb.jpg

Bodyshell Mk2 is now complete - this seems to work with the vinyl overlay, and I'm quite happy with this. Next step is to build the other half of the unit, then the articulated cover plate, and then start on the coupling units, and finally attach it to the chassis and check for bogie clearances.

David

post-6666-0-72795400-1329561016_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks pretty good even at a first attempt. I would think the clear plastic sides with vinyl livery would be perfect for this model, especially as the sides are totally flat. If it was me I'd include the window bars in the exterior vinyl as they are genuine separate panes rather than Turbostar-style ribbon glazing. Doors slide on external runners so could be separate rectangles stuck to the outside, using glue only round the edges to keep the glazed parts transparent.

I've completed the second shell now - I'm not decided if I'll put the door runners on, as they would be extremely fine at this scale, may be best just to include them on the flat vinyl graphic.

The body does have to sit higher on the chassis than the actual DLR stock in order to get clearance for the bogies, but I think if I blacken the wheels, once on a stretch of viaduct this won't really notice as the 3rd rail and concrete sides will hide them anyway.

Quite pleased with this, and its definitely spurring me on to make a small DLR layout - nothing bigger than 3' by 1'6" - just enough to get a typical docklands scene, a station and some return curves. Three questions come to mind now - do I search for a second Modemo tram to build a second powered unit (they seem to be quite rare), do I build an unpowered twin unit (they mostly run with 3 now, but that would turn the micro layout into something a lot larger!), and finally, which stretch of the DLR do I go for? I quite fancy the eastern leg towards the airport or Beckton, but there is of course Canary Wharf...

David

post-6666-0-08870300-1329644726_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-82277400-1329644682_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, this is very impressive David. I have just sold my two Modemo trams so unfortunately I cannot assist you there but they are available on ebay (either directly from Japan or imported through UK distributors). They do them in different colours and there are limited runs on them so each colour is limited edition. I have never seen a chassis available on its own but I know that there are more and more chassis' becoming available from Tomix and Greenmax etc that might suit your requirements.

Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been starting to explore how a micro-layout of diorama might look, and have done a little bit of 'proof of concept' work, mocking up a section of viaduct. This will let me explore the complicated track bed the DLR has, with all the raised 3rd rail and special evacuation walkways alongside, to see if it is possible to make a reasonable replica of it all in model form.

Here's a taster shot of the DLR unit sat on the mock up viaduct, with a super-imposed London background...

David

post-6666-0-05606900-1330891987.jpg

• Like 2

Another bit of experimenting today - roughing out the shape and sizes of the various station elements that are typically found on the DLR. While my model will be of only a single twin car unit, its strange to think that when the system was built, most stations were expecting just that - a single unit. Hard to imagine way back then that the stations would eventually be needing to hold 3 units coupled together!

David

post-6666-0-26194300-1330982261_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Impressive and definitely something to follow, the bodyshells seem something that 3D printing would lend itself too very well.

I've always fancied DLR, not just because there's an excuse to have setrack style curves on a visible scenic section....

I always liked the approach to Stratford before all the redesigning going on now - tight curve and incline to come up alongside the single line link from Fenchurch Street, then running alongside the Liverpool Street lines.

Thanks all,

The vinyls are self designed and printed. Cutting the door windows was a pain, but otherwise seem to have gone on well. (The shells haven't been attached to the chassis yet so aren't sitting quite straight). I'd be tempted to do some 3D printing if I had any clue how to use those 3D drawing progs. I've been working in 2D graphics for so long, never seem to have made the jump.

Don't mention Stratford! This is a micro-layout in planning here, not another full-size layout with an electrified main line, HS1, DLR and Underground that would look spectacular....definitely not! Not at all...(mustn't think about it!)

David

• RMweb Gold

The vinyls are self designed and printed.

Is there a vinyl adhesive sheets available then? Do you have to seal it with varnish too?

. ....definitely not! Not at all...(mustn't think about it!)

Time for an evil laugh ;)

Hi paul, you can buy adhesive vinyl sheets in A4 that go through the printer, I've never varnished them but can't see any reason why you couldn't if you wanted to used them outdoors. They print out very well and can be cut and stuck straight away. I'll dig out the packet later and have a look.

David

Right, with no work planned on Cross Street for a while (need a break before finishing the storage yard), I'm going to make a start on building a small 4' long micro-layout, starting off with the complex station construction. The DLR unit still needs finishing off, but I'm in the mood for some more card building construction, so the station is a good place to start.

The whole thing will be a simple double loop of track with the station at one end and the line crossing over a dual carriageway - based on the stretch of line around Blackwall and East India. Very handily, TfL's website contains the complete design guides as PDFs to download, so I can get the station signage and 'character' pretty spot on using the very comprehensive information they provide.

As shown in the mock ups below, the layout will be very small, a diorama really, but the tracks will be powered so I can run the unit around. This is really a bit of fun indulgence for me - a very simple model, but requiring a lot of research and detailed construction, and of a prototype I've never seen modelled. I can see myself having ago at a similarly sized London Underground model after this.

David

P.S. Bear, as always, not to scale in photos

post-6666-0-26810500-1331231306_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-26874100-1331231340_thumb.jpg

Edited by bmthtrains - David

• 7 years later...