SOMERSET LANE; 7mm BR(GE) early 1960's Depot

TimC

• RMweb Premium

Somerset Lane is a play on Devon's Road. Paul (owner of Thames Wharf Yard) started this project just over a year ago and now there is a small gang of us from Sodbury Vale MRC working towards completing the layout.

It is just two 4x2 ft baseboards and there is a lot packed into the space. The aim was for a small portable exhibition layout which combined a small shed to show off Paul's collection of early diesels and allow a modicum of shunting so that there is always something moving - a key to maintaining a watching public's interest. As the nod to Devon's Road suggests, the layout is set in the east end of London.

Here is the plan:

post-7686-0-82246000-1329233754_thumb.jpg

Progess to date:

post-7686-0-39248500-1329234057_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-99874100-1329234092_thumb.jpg

Paul has built the trackwork and it is all copper-clad construction. It was been wired and tested prior to ballasting. This is 99% finished, we just need a few more grains (on order) to fill in some bare patches and beef up some of the shoulders. Once this has been completed then the paintwork on the sleepers and track will be revisited. The electrics are conventional DC with section switches for parking up locos on shed.

I've knocked up the depot building and offices, it is loosely based on those at Colchester. However, when I put it on the layout the offices looked very lonely in the corner so the offices are up for replacement with a longer version that will stretch down to the fuel point built by Jeff. There is a low relief tank planned to go adjacent to the fuel point.

post-7686-0-77743800-1329234997_thumb.jpg

Next to the depot is a loading docking and a low relief goods shed/warehouse (got some ideas here but the latter is not started yet). The loading dock was based on one at Wickham Market (I was scratching around for a GERish prototype here!). Normally, I build wholly out of plasticard but I've used some Scalescenes papers on the loading dock. Overall, I'm impressed with them but part of the learning curve was finding that they don't take too much distressing/weathering without damage. The deck took some punishment in particular so I've had to strategically place some 'stuff' over the damaged areas. [The clubroom lighting makes the concrete wall/deck look a tad pink in the photos].

post-7686-0-70419400-1329235420_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-39516800-1329235563_thumb.jpg

None of the buildings have yet to be let into the layout and mounted permanently.

Down the other end, Paul is working on the bridge scenic break and Jim (RMweb: Flubrush) is building half a good shed. It is designed so that you can see inside across the deck.

We have an invite to a show at the end of November so I'll post the progress over the coming months.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

this looks tasty, not really a O gauge modeller but really like the look of this, the fuel point is fantastic

Thanks Mason! Glad you like it. I'll find out which kit Jeff used for the fuel point.

Wow, very impressive!

What radii are the points?

Thanks Jack! Paul followed some old CAD generated point templates that another club member made for a project from a while ago. I'd say they were mostly A5 (ish) points so say 6ft radius (I may be completely wrong here so if anyone knows please say differently). However, there were no issues when testing out Heljan class 37 and 47 locos around the layout so all good really. Saying that, the primary locos will be shunters and Paul's class 15 and 20 as the larger locos (Cl37/47) really dominate such a small layout.

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Tim. Trackwork looks good.

Is this the layout you mentioned earlier to me that is heading to Thornbury (November).

Hi TTG. Yep, Paul normally takes something to Thornbury, either a layout or does a demo and he's offered Somerset Lane for this years show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It was the club AGM this week so not much modelling got done. However, Jim (Flubrush) has been working at home on his sectioned goods shed. It is being built up in strip wood with a plasticard base.

post-7686-0-06575700-1330106669_thumb.jpg

The underside of the floor is impressive as the supporting beams of the floor will be visible.

post-7686-0-31604800-1330106695_thumb.jpg

I've also found out that the fuel point (see earlier post) is a modified Skytrex item. It has been cut in half and the unused half made up to be the back of the structure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The new offices for the shed are progressing. The prototype construction is a concrete beam frame with stretcher bond brick infills - similar to that used at Colchester.

I started by planning out the sections and making up the infill sections. The infill sections are Scalescenes brick paper printed on computer label(s) (1 per A4 sheet) and stuck to 30thou plasticard.

post-7686-0-41415000-1330439487_thumb.jpg

To be honest, I was a bit into the build before I remembered I was supposed to be taking pictures! I remembered about here. The model is a thin box with a rear wall of 1.5mm plasticard with some Evergreen StripStyrene (No177 - 100thou x 156thou) framing that follows the lines of the concrete beams which themselves have been fixed on the front wall which is 1.5mm clear sheet. The rear wall and framing was all sprayed in Halford's Grey Primer before gluing on the front wall.

post-7686-0-93766300-1330439362_thumb.jpg

Having made up and attached the concrete beams (more 1.5mm plasticard), I then masked off the areas where windows were planned. Hawk eyes will notice that I've changed the arrangement per the original plan in order to hide the join in the clear plastic front wall.

post-7686-0-75443900-1330439374_thumb.jpg

Painting the beams was a two stage process. First - a coat of 'Plastikote Touch Suede' to give a good base and a subtle texture.

post-7686-0-35164900-1330439446_thumb.jpg

Then a light(ish) over spray with 'Rust-oleum Painter's Touch, Heirloom White' (both spray cans came from a large DIY retailer). The Heirloom White is more of a cream colour and sits well on the Suede to provide a mottled effect.

post-7686-0-63962100-1330439465_thumb.jpg

After the masking tape was removed the infill sections were then glued in. The voids left are for windows and doors. Here is the part built building in-situ next to the shed. In due course, I'll have to revisit the shed to match the concrete colour and brickwork.

post-7686-0-56211600-1330439533_thumb.jpg

The next stage is to add the window framing and doors. Watch this space......

Edited by TimC
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This looks great and one to watch.

I do like 7mm layouts in a (relatively) small space...must resist this scale...must resist... :yes:

Thanks Pete!

• RMweb Premium

Planning for the 2013 club exhibition is getting in the way at the moment but the offices have had the windows and doors added.

post-7686-0-25088700-1331112623_thumb.jpg

I've since opened up the windows in the doors - they look better bigger but I forgot to take another piccy last night (D'Oh!).

Once I've painted the doors, I'll add the door framing and door handles (which means a raid on my wife's sewing box to look for some appropriate pins......).

• Like 2

............. The infill sections are Scalescenes brick paper printed on computer label(s) (1 per A4 sheet) and stuck to 30thou plasticard.

Tim

Hope I'm not the bringer of doom - but do you know if the 'sticky stuff' on the back of the labels will 'go the distance' ?

• RMweb Premium

Tim

Hope I'm not the bringer of doom - but do you know if the 'sticky stuff' on the back of the labels will 'go the distance' ?

Hmmm, good point Andy. I've no idea. However, each panel had a fair amount of the label wrapped around onto the back of the plasticard and the panel itself is well stuck onto the model. The panels are also surrounded by framing so fingers crossed it'll stay where it is intended. I may have more of an issue on the loading dock. We'll see. The labels I used were new from Rymans and they were very sticky - they put up a real fight if I got one in slightly the wrong place and had to adjust their position

I'll seal each structure with Games Workshop Purity Seal in due course (In fact, I've just put my can into the crate that I take to club each week to prompt me to do so). That should help too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A quick update.

The sectioned goods shed is progressing well. Jim brought his work in for another test-fit this morning. It is made from individual pieces of wood and is all jointed - it looks fantastic! (the pictures don't do it full justice)

post-7686-0-94491500-1332852131_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-55119600-1332852158_thumb.jpg

The real pity is that you'll never see the outside wall (below).

post-7686-0-93870000-1332852189_thumb.jpg

The enlarged shed offices are nearing completion. Just need to make the cladding trim to fit between shed and office and blend the concrete colours on the shed to match the offices. The structure is supposed to be relatively new so it might retain its very clean appearance but we'll see once everything else is done, it might get a lighting weathering job.

post-7686-0-18314600-1332852220_thumb.jpg

I plan to move onto the low relief goods shed that goes with the loading dock next.

The bridge (our scenic break) is getting there too - pictures to follow in due course.

Paul has also started to free up the point work after ballasting so we can run the layout once again, so hopefully, we'll get some shots featuring some appropriate traction soon too.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Now that is looking very nice, if you could just post a picture with a loco on.....

Thanks 32a. We'll get some stock on there soon - we don't keep any down the clubrooms and currently the track is all PVA'ed up after the ballasting.

Guest oldlugger

I really like the look of this layout; right up my street! Compact but not cluttered and an interesting track plan.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Tim, you certainly have captured the Feeling of a Great Eastern depot. The shed and offices look superb, I can just imagine a 31 or 37 stabled outside ticking over!

Great work, I look forward to seeing more progress.

I really like the look of this layout; right up my street! Compact but not cluttered and an interesting track plan.

Simon

Thanks guys! Jeff freed up all the points and cleaned up the track last night so I'll have to get Paul to bring something suitable down next week for a photo opportunity......

• RMweb Premium

We tested the track this morning and all was OK after a little bit of fettling here and there. Ironically, neither of the test engines will feature as part of the actual Somerset Lane fleet - Paul's Bachmann 03 (which he won in a raffle at the Bristol O Gauge Show a few years ago) and my Heljan 33. A few spurious wagons also found their way onto the layout so we could find the uncoupling magnets.

We'll have a good session after Easter to test the actual fleet - they are all green or black, no blue unfortunately.

post-7686-0-79505800-1333458013_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-83247400-1333458034_thumb.jpg

The bridge that forms the scenic break is nearly there. It just needs a good weather and painting of the cap stones - these have been made from filler on plasticard bases. The bridge carries a single track and the plan is to make this 'disused' and overgrown.

post-7686-0-11244800-1333458051_thumb.jpg

The water tank is a laser cut MDF kit purchased off eBay a while ago - it's a bit chunky but gives the layout some height at the front and adds a scenic barrier. The hut behind the water tank is from Skytrex and the shed by the birdge is scratchbuilt - all still very much work in progress.

There will be a low relief factory to hide the control panel and form the back-scene between the fuel point and the bridge.

Still a bit to do but the layout is coming together.

• Like 10