Bachmann announce D11/2

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

Does anyone know if Class D11/2 62690 The Lady of the Lake had works plates fitted, if so where were they located and where they square or oval.

Regards

David

David

On checking some photos from the early/mid 50s it had a small square plate on the frames below the smokebox, this is from a photo of the right hand side of the loco. However, all the other later photos of it do not have a plate fitted but these photos are all of the left hand side!

As a matter of interest 62690 was the only one of the Haymarket 10 not fitted with long travel valves which were indicated by the curved end to the reversing arm so Bachmann are spot on with this detail which makes it all the more strange as they missed out the just as obvious lubricator drive set-up on the forward right hand side driving wheel crank.

Eric

I can't locate my posting welcoming the D11/2 announcement but I did line up my wallet with my mouth,picking up my 62690 at Harburn Hobbies last week. She certainly looks the part and has now accummulated about 4 hrs of running on the test-track without a problem. This is a prelude to "chipping".

I am lucky enough (and therefore old enough!) to have seen all the Scottish Directors in service,and have a vague recollection of seeing a drive (to what I imagined was a pump) off one of the coupled wheels. But it's apparent omission is a small issue,and certainly doesn't diminish my delight at having acquired a model - to this standard - of a type I frankly never expected to see.The small vac.pipe inaccuracy already highlighted on this thread should be easy to put right and,if I can muster the courage,the obscene level of cleanliness is something else that I might try to put right.

I would have preferred GC-style buffers which were such a distintive feature,and were fitted to the majority of the class. Is anyone,I wonder, able to offer a pointer as to when "The Lady" lost hers in favour of the LNE pattern.?

DR

I would have preferred GC-style buffers which were such a distintive feature,and were fitted to the majority of the class. Is anyone,I wonder, able to offer a pointer as to when "The Lady" lost hers in favour of the LNE pattern.?

DR

Late 1940s according to the RCTS.

I have seen a photo of one, not "Lady", with changed buffers in April 1948

Bernard

Hi Eric

Many thanks for the information regarding 62690, I have great interest in 64B Haymarket and it's locomotives but coming from London I did not have the opportunity to visit the depot during in steam days.

I am having a new A2/2 built for me by PDK models No 60506 Wolf of Badenoch as she was around 1959 with the late crest on her tender.

I know she was Based at Haymarket from 1944 until 1949 when she moved to Peterborough New England, do you know if she ever visited Haymarket any time between around 1958 until 1961 when she was withdrawn.

Sorry to change locomotive classes on this thread.

Regards

David

Thanks,Bernard and Eric for that info. Since my modelling period is '57/58-ish, the LNE buffers need to stay put. Attractive and distinctive though the GC pattern was,I doubt if I'll be changing the loco id just for that. This does show,however,the potential pitfalls for those thinking of changing the id of their D11/2s; GC buffers for most locos throughout their lives but LNE for a (small?) number,according to period.

And well done Bachmann for getting this so right on 62690. Although the engineering prototype sample had the GC pattern fitted,someone has spotted that this would not,in fact, be correct.

DR

• RMweb Premium

Hi Eric

Many thanks for the information regarding 62690, I have great interest in 64B Haymarket and it's locomotives but coming from London I did not have the opportunity to visit the depot during in steam days.

I am having a new A2/2 built for me by PDK models No 60506 Wolf of Badenoch as she was around 1959 with the late crest on her tender.

I know she was Based at Haymarket from 1944 until 1949 when she moved to Peterborough New England, do you know if she ever visited Haymarket any time between around 1958 until 1961 when she was withdrawn.

Sorry to change locomotive classes on this thread.

Regards

David

David

The A2/2s were rare visitors to the city circa 1959, the only one I saw, in 1960, was Mons Meg. Heaton and Gateshead usually had sufficient numbers of their locos for their diagrams north to the Waverley. I'll ask some lads who were regular spotters in the area back then to see if they can help.

Eric

DR

After running through my Director photos of the Haymarket 10 in the 50s so far I have found 4 which had the round buffers fitted on occasion. On numbers 62678, 62683, 62693 and of course 62690. In fact 62683 had the GC oval buffers in the early 50s - as usual a minefield requiring photos of the loco in the period it is being modelled. No doubt there will be others but it's the old problem of tracking down photos which apply to your requirements, it keeps the grey matter ticking over though!

Eric

According to RCTS Green Book Part 3B, the following D11/2's were fitted with Group Standard round buffers, from the late 1940's:-

62685, 62687, 62690 & 62693.

There is a picture of 62687, Lord James of Douglas at Eastfield in August 1957, with the stepped bodied Group Standard buffers.

This buffer issue really is quite murky. I've now ploughed through all the books that I have,and found shots of 14 different D11/2s in the BR era. As I expected,all but 2 of the locos sport the GC-pattern buffers. But,interestingly,the 12 with the GC pattern includes 62685 (Malcolm Graeme),which is actually covered by 4 separate shots. So id-changers beware.

The 2 with the LNE standard variety are 62686 (The Fiery Cross) - a splendid shot in Vol 2 of the WJVA/Cross "Steam in Scotland" - and the" Lady",62690.

DR

The 2 with the LNE standard variety are 62686 (The Fiery Cross) - a splendid shot in Vol 2 of the WJVA/Cross "Steam in Scotland" - and the" Lady",62690.

There were at least two others - 62683 'Hobbie Elliott', while in apple green with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' lettering and number in 1948 (correctly modelled as shown in post#202 above), and 62678 'Luckie Mucklebackit' (undated photo, but in BR days). I think 62684 'Wizard of the Moor' had them as well, but I wouldn't swear to that.

Just to complicate things further - there may have been 2 different sizes of oval buffers. There's a 3/4 front picture of 62672 'Baron of Bradwardine' at Dunfermline Lower, and the two front buffers,while both oval, are definitely not the same size or shape!

One of the buffers has actually fallen off my D11, and is lost (I think) somewhere in the chaos of my study (maybe it's trying to tell me something!). Another one is in danger of falling off too: can't have been very well secured in the first place.

Not wanting to usurp Bernard's suggestion, but If you only need 2 buffers -Hornby spares- B1 buffers on e-bay http://www.ebay.co.u...=item48464be733 pack of 2 £2.60 + £2.00 P+P

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

I wouldn't! Hornby's buffers have a square plug in, not round. Requires huge cutting of the bufferbeam to fit the Hornby ones. I know this because I have just finished gritting my teeth over fitting them to a V4 kit...!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil,

I wouldn't! Hornby's buffers have a square plug in, not round. Requires huge cutting of the bufferbeam to fit the Hornby ones. I know this because I have just finished gritting my teeth over fitting them to a V4 kit...!

Hi Simon, I'd just noticed them for sale, have no use for them myself in respect of the D11s, I'm waiting on Prince Albert with ovals. Thanks for the heads up tho'.

Cheers Phil.

We just know a good thing when we see it, Rob! ;-)

Dave.

Well, my 'Lady of the Lake' D11/2 arrived by registered airmail today after purchase from a UK box shifter on 8th Oct, one loose metal rectangular part in the box, and I was setting it up for a photo, and a small part which may have been part of the r/h front lamp bracket fell off... the stump remained, odd I thought, ah well... these things happen, though more common with Hornby in my experience, then I set the loco on a test track to check running and rotate the coupling rods to maybe top or bottom, but it wouldn't run at all. Nothing.

So back into the box-shifter's packaging with a note and a request for a credit, airmail back to the UK my cost, as well as the cost of sending it by registered mail in the first place.

Still cheaper than some retailers, but no photo of this Scottish engine... I should have stayed south of Carlisle...

From several hundred RTR purchases new and s/h in 8 years this the second or third return I've made. Let Scotland go, that's what I say....

Rob

Hi Rob

Sorry to here you have had a problem with your Lady of the Lake, it's always disappointing especially when you have waited for the item to be posted and delivered.

I hope it's replacement is perfect and looking forward to seeing your super photos of the loco in action.

Regards

David

Rob

I would recommend buying another D11/2, you were just unlucky first time.

I purchased 62690 from Replica Railways who built the very first B1's they are based in Swindon and both Gareth and Godfrey who own RR are very helpful.

My D11/2 was run on their test track the morning I purchased it, unfortunately I have no layout as at the present time myself so it has not been in action since then.

Still looking forward to more of your stunning photos.

Regards

David

Somewhere earlier in this thread (can't find it now), someone asked about haulage capability: not sure that anyone's responded, but I might have missed it. Anyway, I took mine round to a friends layout the other night where it ran very comfortably with 11 coaches and a horsebox. It struggled when we added another five coaches, although even this would probably have been OK on the straight. Pretty impressive really.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all

It would be great to see any other photos anyone has taken of both of the New Bachmann D11/2 class 62677 & 62690 especially if anyone has carried out weathering or any additional detail alterations.

Regards

David

Attached photos of alterations to the front vacuum standpipe. I used a Hornby L1 pipe (East Kent: X10656). At first I was chuffed to see that this was also kinked, but as so often, all joy was in error - it was kinked the wrong way. So I cut the hose part of the pipe off (the black bit you can see in the photos) and drilled it to take a piece of wire which I think originated from a Parkside kit (supplied to represent the wagon sheet rail). Seems to be about 0.7mm. This is nice and soft and easy to kink and bend. I worked my way up through drill sizes, starting at 0.6, then 0.65, then finally 0.7: it's a lot easier to balance a 0.6 drill than a 0.7 on a surface which is about 1mm round. The 0.6 hole then acts as a pilot for the bigger drill bits.

Tip: bend wire further than you want it to go and then bend it back to the correct place - this gives a good sharp bend.

Before fitting the bent wire into the drilled hose I drilled through the fixing bracket from the original L1 pipe and slipped this over the bent wire. This is easier to understand from the photos: I'm referring to the red part you can hopefully see just above the kink.

Finally, I placed a piece of bent 10thou strip up the back as the support. Brass would have been better as it would have kept its shape better during mounting.

Note that the pipe is slightly misplaced: it should (at least on LOTL) be hard-up against the coupling mounting plate (i.e., further towards the centre of the bufferbeam). However, to cover the hole left after removing the Bachmann pipe, I positioned it further left.

The last photo show the rewheeled bogie: I suspected that Gibson wheels would have finer flanges and so clear both the plates between the bogie wheels and the guard irons. I think they do make a marginal improvement: it seems to go round a piece of second-radius curve ok.

post-708-0-88190600-1353763326_thumb.jpg

post-708-0-22610500-1353763347_thumb.jpg

post-708-0-00227200-1353763402_thumb.jpg

post-708-0-91471400-1353763433_thumb.jpg

post-708-0-45270200-1353764236_thumb.jpg

Archived