Bachmann announce D11/2

Andy Y

Modelmaster

http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/

but not quite ready yet.

Alan

Somebody has done a transfer sheet (several years ago) which included cabside numbers and splasher names for selected D11/2s, D30s and possibly some other classes. I've got one somewhere (bought for my eventual model of Wandering Willie, although I'm now thinking I might build it in an earlier livery/lettering style!), but not to hand: can't remember who did them.

It's time we came down hard on the Scottish nationalist separatists who are infecting civilised modelling such as that of the Southern like in Guildford where my Mum were born.... less of the D40 and D11 and more of the SECR D please... (even if that august railway barely reached Guildford)

Rob, you do know, as a SECR enthusiast, you could happily support the production of a D40, don't you? And you could run one on a SECR layout. If you don't, see here - http://www.ssplprints.com/image.php?id=401046 and for more details, here - http://www.lner.info/locos/D/d40.shtml

• RMweb Premium

Somebody has done a transfer sheet (several years ago) which included cabside numbers and splasher names for selected D11/2s, D30s and possibly some other classes. I've got one somewhere (bought for my eventual model of Wandering Willie, although I'm now thinking I might build it in an earlier livery/lettering style!), but not to hand: can't remember who did them.

Modelmaster again, sheets numbered 4007A and 4008B. A few of D30, D34, D11/2, J36 and Highland Ben classes on each.

Now now Rob, no need to bring Guildford into it.

I tell you what, if you join the ScR revolutionaries in the fight for a RTR version of "The Sodjer", then I'll stick up some photos of my Kb, Ww and NZR coaching stock next week. Deal?

The rumour that my father came from a family of Irish gunrunners based in Ayrshire is nothing but malicious gossip!

and the only good thing to come out of Scotland was Dr Findlay's Casebook... and certain distilled products.

oh, and some half-decent engineers....

Better keep Kbs and Wws away from the crowd, it will cause unrest among the peasants. They are not accustomed to modernity, steam reversers, covered cabs, and so on.

Rob

Evening all

I have today just purchased the new D11/2 62690 The Lady of the Lake from my local model supplier Replica Railways in Swindon.

Fantastic detail, I have seen a few reviews recently on the locomotive and it seems no one has mentioned that the smoke-box door actually opens to give more detail in the fire box area.

One question, the front vacuum pipe on the model is different to the vacuum pipes shown in photos of the D11/2 class at work on the Scottish railways or am I missing something.

I would like to replace the existing vacuum pipe with a more traditional upright etched brass pipe I purchased some time ago but I would welcome a second opinion before I carry out any alterations that may possibly spoil a beautiful model locomotive.

Regards

David

Guest Max Stafford

62691 and 62685 both appear in 1955-6 with tall vac pipes. They appear on p102/3 of Harry Knox's history of Haymarket depot.

Dave.

I have just bought a D11/2 too, and imagine I shall be able to create a nice picture of it at the head of a Scottish train, no doubt with suitable lighting, steam and smoke. I wonder what kinds of carriages I should choose for her? Gresley suburban? Or would a Thompson Brake 3rd be more appropriate? ...or a Gresley corridor... or, shudder, a Stanier BSO...

Since 62690 was a Haymarket engine when in BR crest, and later so far as I know, I would be interested in how she was commonly used, where from and to? Did Haymarket generally keep her clean?

All in the interests of accuracy you know...

edit; speaking of accuracy, all the catalogue pictures on line and shop ads and Tony Wright's review show what looks like a sand pipe pointing the wrong way under the cab. I hope this is simply an assembly error and the pipes can be turned easily.

Rob

I have just bought a D11/2 too, and imagine I shall be able to create a nice picture of it at the head of a Scottish train, no doubt with suitable lighting, steam and smoke. I wonder what kinds of carriages I should choose for her? Gresley suburban? Or would a Thompson Brake 3rd be more appropriate? ...or a Gresley corridor... or, shudder, a Stanier BSO...

All/any of the above..........

Since 62690 was a Haymarket engine when in BR crest, and later so far as I know, I would be interested in how she was commonly used, where from and to? Did Haymarket generally keep her clean?

For the last few years of their life many of these locos were in store and others found little use.

According to The RCTS Green Book 62690 was in store at Polmont towards the end although technically still based at Haymarket.

Much more suitable for the pre war period when used on the main line to Newcastle piloting a pacific or double heading an excursion train.

Warning for any one doing a name change.

Watch out for the variation in the cab side lining panel between Cowlairs, contoured and Inverurie, rectangular.

Bernard.

Guest Max Stafford

It was only really from about 1957 with the arrival of railcars and standard locomotives that the D11/s star began to fade in earnest. I'm sure the got as far as Hawick on occasion!

Dave.

It was only really from about 1957 with the arrival of railcars and standard locomotives that the D11/s star began to fade in earnest. I'm sure the got as far as Hawick on occasion!

Dave.

Certainly did.

........and by way of Peebles to boot!

Bernard

One question, the front vacuum pipe on the model is different to the vacuum pipes shown in photos of the D11/2 class at work on the Scottish railways or am I missing something.

I would like to replace the existing vacuum pipe with a more traditional upright etched brass pipe I purchased some time ago but I would welcome a second opinion before I carry out any alterations that may possibly spoil a beautiful model locomotive.

David

The photograph on Wikipedia of No. 62690 in 1958 shows a tall vac pipe (http://en.wikipedia....i/GCR_Class_11F ), but photographs of D11/2s in LNER livery show pipes of the same type as those fitted to D11/1s (http://www.lner.info/locos/D/d11.shtml) – and to the Bachmann model of No. 62690. I would surmise that Bachmann's model was based on drawings of the locos as originally turned out.

An oddity in the naming of the “Scots Directors” was No 62688: “Ellen Douglas”. In Scott's poem, Ms Douglas is ”The Lady of the Lake”. One would have thought that the LNER Chairman, William Whitelaw (a Scot) could have chosen another name from the many provided by Sir Walter's works.

A right old can of worms going by a few photos.

Dated photo is essential in this case as they did alter, at least on some machines..

Bernard

Hi

Many thanks to all of you who replied to my question.

Sad as it is I have spent quite a lot of today looking at photos of the D11 class and I have come to the view that the D11's working on the GCR lines had the vacuum pipe coming out of the flat area above the front buffer beam between the lamp iron positions as shown on the new Bachmann D11/2 62690.

And from the photos I looked at the Scottish based D11's had the vacuum pipes fixed to the front of the buffer beam with some type of support arm fixed from the back of the vacuum pipe down on top of the buffer beam.

Could it be that 62690 The Lady of the Lake locomotive was modelled from The soon to be issued Butler Henderson which was a GCR locomotive, if so then surely the vacuum pipe on 62690 is in the wrong position.

Or do you guys know better.

Regards

David

Evening all

I have today just purchased the new D11/2 62690 The Lady of the Lake from my local model supplier Replica Railways in Swindon.

Fantastic detail, I have seen a few reviews recently on the locomotive and it seems no one has mentioned that the smoke-box door actually opens to give more detail in the fire box area.

Regards

David

As ever when modelling a particular loco at a particular period in time a, or several photos are essential, to get the thing as accurate as possible. Especially if you are going to run it on an exhibition layout. (To stop the rivet counters having a bash at you).

I previously posted this on page three, but here it is again:-

With regards to the transfers Modelmaster already does a sheet, Ref 4007, which contains Names, Cabside and Smokebox numbers for the following:-

62677 Eddie Ochiltree,

62693 Roderick Dhu,

62686 The Fiery Cross,

62680 Lucy Ashton,

62671 Ballie Macwheeble,

62674 Flora Macivor.

The front buffers on the model are parrallel. All photos of Lady of the Lake seem to have LNER Group Standard buffers?

Hi

Many thanks to all of you who replied to my question.

Sad as it is I have spent quite a lot of today looking at photos of the D11 class and I have come to the view that the D11's working on the GCR lines had the vacuum pipe coming out of the flat area above the front buffer beam between the lamp iron positions as shown on the new Bachmann D11/2 62690.

And from the photos I looked at the Scottish based D11's had the vacuum pipes fixed to the front of the buffer beam with some type of support arm fixed from the back of the vacuum pipe down on top of the buffer beam.

Could it be that 62690 The Lady of the Lake locomotive was modelled from The soon to be issued Butler Henderson which was a GCR locomotive, if so then surely the vacuum pipe on 62690 is in the wrong position.

Or do you guys know better.

Regards

David

I do not know better but I do know where to find out.

The vac pipe was moved to the "normal" position in front of the buffer beam around 1940/41 on the Scottish locos.

Also another point to watch out for that I have only just noticed is that some of them lost their oval buffers.

Bernard.

Having checked with an even finer tooth comb.

"Lady" does have the wrong vac pipe for the BR period and also does have the wrong buffers. Changed to Group Standard round type in the late 1940s.

You lot are going to cost me dear.

The more I look at this machine the greater becomes the temptation to order one.

The front buffers on the model are parrallel. All photos of Lady of the Lake seem to have LNER Group Standard buffers?

I am now even more confused than usual.

The example reviewed in Model Rail has round buffers but the shanks are nothing like the GS type.

Bernard

Hi Bernard

Many thanks for the conformation, I will change the front vacuum pipe in due course, I am not sure about the buffers though I enclose below a photo of 62690 dated 1960 and she has round buffers as per the model.

My advice is order one if you can the detail on the loco is just stunning.

Thanks again.

David

2058.jpg

I am not sure about the buffers though I enclose below a photo of 62690 dated 1960 and she has round buffers as per the model.

The buffers in the photo are the GS type,

You can see a reduction in diameter about half way along the shank.

The buffers in the model rail photo appear to be plain.

I am only going by the photos but they do not look right.

Bernard

A change of vacuum pipe does seem to be called for, though I hope David doesn't mind when I say I hope he'll let us know how he gets on so I can pinch his ideas as appropriate!

Looking at pictures on the internet of the Lady and her siblings is something of a bitter-sweet pleasure; I can remember seeing them in the early fifties when they were still in regular use and kept reasonably clean before terminal filth set in. I admit that the hyper-realistic grot seen on some layouts is authentic for the dying years of steam on British Railways, but I've no intention of wearing a hair shirt when it comes to the consideration of appropriate weathering for my copy of 62690.

What I like about that photo above is that the running board appears bent and a large number of my plastic RTR models are suddenly more accurate!

Good point. But be aware of the joggle in the footplate where it narrows, which from some angles may look like a bent footplate.

The buffers in the photo are the GS type,

You can see a reduction in diameter about half way along the shank.

The buffers in the model rail photo appear to be plain.

I am only going by the photos but they do not look right.

Bernard

Easily replaced by a set of Bachmann LNER/SR pattern spares though. £4 for 8 from Hattons, but currently on pre-order as they are out of stock. You can find them elsewhere too (eBay etc).

Looking at Hattons pictures of the D11/2, they definitely have the plain buffers fitted. Fitting the GS type will be just a case of swapping them over, as Bachmann have clearly used their standard sprung round type buffers.

Archived