Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Some very nice pictures of the peak and is that a 37 slying it's way around the main line love the bridge it's really coming on love the tire tracks and the whole seen I'd love my cuttings to turn out like yours and I hope you've got a speed restriction on that single line cutting lol

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Not sure about your plan for some Florrys to even out the lighting. I think it will spoil the effect of daylight and how it casts shadows. Ben Alders TFNL works so well just because it doesn't have even lighting and you get shadows just like real life.

If you do go down that route please have them independant of the lighting you have now.

Would it be better to put another set of spots adjacent to the exisiting ones (at the same end of the room, so that you get the shadows the same way)?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Not sure about your plan for some Florrys to even out the lighting. I think it will spoil the effect of daylight and how it casts shadows. Ben Alders TFNL works so well just because it doesn't have even lighting and you get shadows just like real life.

If you do go down that route please have them independant of the lighting you have now.

Would it be better to put another set of spots adjacent to the exisiting ones (at the same end of the room, so that you get the shadows the same way)?

Andy G

Andy - I thought my comment would get you worried! No problem - I'm not planning to change the lighting in the immediate future. However, if I'd thought a bit more in advance I'd have fitted 2 strips of fluorescents.

If flos do get added I'll ensure they are on a separate circuit. I entirely agree with you that suitable angled spots create an atmosphere on the Fell and I certainly wouldn't want to lose that.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Very quiet on here mate as you say, it must be the weekend lul.

I will have a video to post on FY later of the Bass speaker comparison.

Bodge :sungum:

I'll certainly have a look at that. I'm just going into the bunker for an hour or so - may add a few bits of vegetation.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad you will put them on a seperate circuit. Mind you you will have to be careful where you put them so that the don't interfere with the present lighting..

Andy G

I'll certainly have a look at that. I'm just going into the bunker for an hour or so - may add a few bits of vegetation.

Jeff

Can you class that as one of your 5 aday lol

Andy - I thought my comment would get you worried! No problem - I'm not planning to change the lighting in the immediate future. However, if I'd thought a bit more in advance I'd have fitted 2 strips of fluorescents.

If flos do get added I'll ensure they are on a separate circuit. I entirely agree with you that suitable angled spots create an atmosphere on the Fell and I certainly wouldn't want to lose that.

Jeff

Jeff, before I destroyed my Nice Little Den, I had 2 x 8ft Flo's in a 9 ft x 7 ft room.

I cant work in half light and I HATE these new eco light bulbs with a passion.

Bodge :sungum:

Strangely enough, I was working on lighting today.  (mostly for the Lego, although it is above Long Marton's staging too...).  The room is 12x26 or so, with at present, 3x34w, 6500k fluorescent lights where I was working, and 2 more sets further along.  (for a total of 170w of fluorescent lights).  The plan is to add 3 more fixtures.  These are all T8, 48" fixtures.  Before, I had quite a bit more lighting than I do right now, but that's OK.  There is also a series of fixtures mounted under the Long Marton staging, which have 26w fluorescent bulbs in them.  These are the regular screw base fixtures, so I could change and use LED's instead...but in any case, I did not want to use incandescent lights because of the heat build up.  I may add LED light strips under the new lego boards, to add lighting for when I am operating Long Marton, I haven't yet decided on anything yet as regards that.  (it would add ANOTHER transformer to the Long Marton power system...currently sitting at a lot there !)  Lots of light is a good thing...

James

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few shots of the little bit of tufty grass I've added around a couple of sections of wall. I've not put too much on, as it's meant to be a sparse landscape and I wanted to see how they fitted in.

post-13778-0-87156800-1382870984_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-17093900-1382870992_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-80414500-1382870998_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all very much for the comments and "Likes" on the last set of photos I posted.

I wasn't convinced this looked "right" and spent an hour or so applying about ten clumps of tufts in various places. The power of the Forum is that others see things more objectively. Thanks. You've convinced me to go and fit a few more, though I'll need to re-supply. I bought the present batch from International Models in 2008!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, the tufts look really good mate. Not many more although just the odd bigger cluster about a couple of inches around by a wall would look pretty good, but as I say don't over do it.

CRACKIN BOSS :O

Bodgit :sungum:

I like the 3rd one more- the first one screams model to me because of the depth of focus on the grass in front- it appears "fake" because, if you think how a photo taken from 1' off the ground in coarse ground would look, you wouldn't be able to see...

The colours of the grass also appear surreal to me, but that is with only one type of grass, I take it...please make sure you use more than one "green" colour of grass, as the real stuff is very variable unless it is on a golf course...even the path here (at work, on sunday...we have reserves in learning about flood), the grasses are quite variable in both texture and colours.

But it looks far better than Long Marton...

James

• RMweb Premium

I like the 3rd one more- the first one screams model to me because of the depth of focus on the grass in front- it appears "fake" because, if you think how a photo taken from 1' off the ground in coarse ground would look, you wouldn't be able to see...

The colours of the grass also appear surreal to me, but that is with only one type of grass, I take it...please make sure you use more than one "green" colour of grass, as the real stuff is very variable unless it is on a golf course...even the path here (at work, on sunday...we have reserves in learning about flood), the grasses are quite variable in both texture and colours.

But it looks far better than Long Marton...

James

Interesting point. The grass is actually a dominant mix of WS Earth blend (a distinctly brown-green) and Earth (very brown). The photos are misleading as the scene is illuminated by the halogens in the roof spots and with 100W of halogen lighting placed behind the camera, about 60cm from the target.

This brightens the scene but tends to "bleach" out the colour and subtlety. The colour to the naked eye is very fell-like.

Jeff

Brilliant!   And the point about lighting and camera is well-understood.  It really looks good to my eye.

edit;  that's the original pics, the second lot look a little 'flat' in colour, but since when did everyone see things the same?

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

So which way is the prevailing wind then Jeff? Maybe you could prune the branches that stick out (say towards the bridges) so that they look like they are beaten by the wind over to the leaward side?

BTW you need to sort the end of the parapet wall of the bridges out, you can still see the plywood!

Andy G

(It's a tad blowly here!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So which way is the prevailing wind then Jeff? Maybe you could prune the branches that stick out (say towards the bridges) so that they look like they are beaten by the wind over to the leaward side?

BTW you need to sort the end of the parapet wall of the bridges out, you can still see the plywood!

Andy G

(It's a tad blowly here!)

That is a good idea, I'll try it.

As for the parapet wall, yes, I know. In the original scheme (see pic below) you wouldn't have seen the end as it was encased in the hillside.

post-13778-0-34624700-1368821423.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy - the prevailing wind would be a westerly. If you look at the last photo in post #9297, north is to the left, south to the right. So the front-facing limbs of the tree could be shortened.

I like that, it fits in nicely!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

It is coming on leaps and bounds Jeff you keep upping the standard. Needs a little bit of rougher grass along the foot of the walls perhaps not as big as thouse clumps. I would also expect the clumps to look a little yellower but it could just be the lighting. I think we could be getting a bit picky but you seem to rise to it and go a step more. It is a real pleasure following progress.

For me the photos looking along the track across the bridges with the walls the grass verges and the rutted track is most evocative.

Don