'Railway Children 2000' coaches

• RMweb Premium

I am seriously contemplating adding the preserved C3 to my fleet even though that particular loco was probably in revenue earning service and black during my modelling period.

I am assuming the C3 is one of the locos used in 'The Railway Children' anniversary update in 2000. Just read that it was on the Blue bell site

If this is the case wouldn't it be a great seller if Bachmann produced the set of coaches used in the filming. Failing that does anyone know what the coaches are and if they are available in kit form?

592 was in the 2000 remake - funny enough I was watching this yesterday and thinking that someone should do a limited edition of it with "GNSR" lettering.

The coaches were the 4 wheeled metropolitan set and the GNR directors saloon, cannot find any kits of them avaiable though.

592 was in the 2000 remake - funny enough I was watching this yesterday and thinking that someone should do a limited edition of it with "GNSR" lettering. The coaches were the 4 wheeled metropolitan set and the GNR directors saloon, cannot find any kits of them avaiable though.

Mousa models can supply kits for the Metropolitan Jubilee coaches.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Bill, bit of a weird site to navigate but I think I found the METs However they appear to be 8 wheeled coaches I.e. two bogies. Ed-Farms states they are 4 wheeled MET coaches which do not appear on the mousa site, I am not sure who is correct so I may have to sit through another viewing of the 2000 film!

Thanks Bill, bit of a weird site to navigate but I think I found the METs However they appear to be 8 wheeled coaches I.e. two bogies.

I can supply both 4 wheeled Jubilee stock in brass, or (soon) eight wheeled Dreadnought stock in resin. The Jubilee stock can be found in the catalogues on this page. Choose the appropriate scale.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill

Thank you for the reference pages, I must confess looking through I could identify the Directors Saloon, which may or may not be correct for the train, however due to my ignorance of coaches I was unable to find the 4 wheeled Jubilee stock, I wonder if you would be kind enough to give me the reference number? Apologies for the ignorance!

Checking the Bluebell Railway website http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/railwaychildren2.html confirmed that the stock used during filming included 2 of their bogie Metropolitan Ashbury coaches, rather than Jubilee or Dreadnought types, which came from the Chesham branch, where they had run as steam hauled stock, having been built originally as steam stock and converted in 1921 to electric mulitple units. Complete kits for these are available from London Road Models, although for some reason they are only available as a set of three, for £120.

I can't find anything on the GNR Directors' Saloon, but as a plausible substitute perhaps the LSWR version could be used, as produced by Southwark Bridge Models http://www.sbmodels.org/sbm_4mmkits.html#1 Painted in teak finish, rather than LSWR livery, it would certainly look the part.

By the way, the locomotive concerned is actually a C Class, ex SECR type. Class C3 was another Southern 0-6-0, but built for the London Brighton and South Coast Railway. Not particularly successful, sadly none survived into preservation.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking the Bluebell Railway website http://www.bluebell-...ychildren2.html confirmed that the stock used during filming included 2 of their bogie Metropolitan Ashbury coaches, rather than Jubilee or Dreadnought types, which came from the Chesham branch, where they had run as steam hauled stock, having been built originally as steam stock and converted in 1921 to electric mulitple units. Complete kits for these are available from London Road Models, although for some reason they are only available as a set of three, for £120.

They are only available as a set of three as that's how they ran, as far as we know, in Met. ownership. The tooling produces a set of three etches, so to split a set will leave one odd man out, which would probably be unsaleable.

Jol

Archived