A large Aqueduct

traction

• RMweb Gold

I wanted to build a really simple 2nd radius circle of track layout to run my few OO locos on.
In the end I have put one radius point on which branches off to a siding just to make it easier to swap locos, as trying to put them on a radius is a bit of a pain.

I was trying to think of ways to hide the fact it's just a round circle of track and came up with this.
The white foam board at the back will have a backscene glued to it at some point and there is loads of static grass to put down, but this is just the start and basics to see how it all looks.

The hand rail along the top of the aqueduct is a ratio kit, but I think it looks OK.
I really need to take a photo looking down the aqueduct which also needs varnishing and finishing off.
As a layout just to watch my locos go round on I think it works really well.

post-6745-0-66503300-1334000383_thumb.jpg
post-6745-0-45401300-1334000403_thumb.jpg
post-6745-0-05864500-1334000424_thumb.jpg

The trees also need planting, they are on the polystyrene blocks at the minute from when I made them.

Cheers

Ian

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know if I leave something too long then it will never be finished, so after months of not touching either layout it was time to seek help.

The Aqueduct layout shown above I had dismantled after taking the photos, I just kept the structure, that's how long I had left it!

The Hornby Midi Mat layout I was building, I had wired up and ballasted the track and there it's sat for months!

Having done nothing with these two layouts I needed some inspiration!

I sent the Aqueduct picture to Paul Lunn and after a meeting at Model Rail Live in Newark, plans and ideas were formed.

I have used the model railway solutions baseboard from the Hornby Midi Mat layout, although one side has been taken off as not required.

The layout is now basically 4ft square.

So I took up all of the ballasted track and luckily only one 2nd radius curve was damaged but still useable, which was a good result!!

The aqueduct was brought down from the loft and placed on the baseboard to give the starting point

This is a rough plan, although it has changed and I can't remember what set track has been used!

post-6745-0-71967900-1381000015.jpg

Paul came up with the idea to have a high level station and create some dramatic hills and levels.

I quickly mocked the track up to see if it would fit and how high everything would need to be, along with what sort of gradients I could expect.

post-6745-0-35015700-1381000181.jpg

post-6745-0-91361900-1381000226.jpg

post-6745-0-90790600-1381000262.jpg

post-6745-0-02036100-1381000282.jpg

The hidden sidings below the station have now been extended and a curve comes round to a point which then gives two sidings across the back of the baseboard.

After waiting for some Woodland scenics sub-terrain foam risers and inclines I could really see what was going to happen.

Now these are expensive, but to create a curved incline they are brilliant and I did run the Class 08 all the way up and down!

post-6745-0-18481600-1381000562.jpg

post-6745-0-79460400-1381000590.jpg

post-6745-0-58322900-1381000602.jpg

That's it so far, now have to start creating the tunnels and mocking up the landscape.

First thing to do is remove the temporary cardboard high level baseboard for the station and replace it with plywood, after I've plastered the hidden loop risers as I won't be able to get to them once the top board is fitted.

Never done any gradients before or different levels then try and create what is basically a helix!!!

Hopefully will try and get the rest of the bits needed so I can really get on with it and get it finished, as once done, it 'should' look really good.

The idea's great, it's me who could let it down!

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian

it looks very good, the only change I would make is to pot a river in at the baseboard level, running  sort of parallel with the station and then turning to run through a couple of arches of the aqueduct and bridge on each of the circles of track.

SS 

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, and the feedback.

There is going to be a stream running through the arches, I just need to get some more bits so I can start to make things a little more 'fixed' and then start on the landscaping.

Time just seems to run away at the minute though!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

it looks very good, the only change I would make is to pot a river in at the baseboard level, running  sort of parallel with the station and then turning to run through a couple of arches of the aqueduct and bridge on each of the circles of track.

SS 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yet another reminder that you don't have to have a huge space to make an interesting and scenically-satisfying layout in 4mm scale. Just some good ideas!

That is so true!

Well a little bit of progress has been made!

Its suprising how long everything takes, but I've never done different levels before or gradients so I had to take my time.

You also need to do things in a set order as I won't be able to access some things once the high level is fixed.

I have now virtually completed all of the structural work and wired up the complete layout.

So now its time to add the scrunched up newspaper and cover with plaster bandage!

I have bought some of the Woodland scenics rubber rock moulds as these will be going around the layout once I've decided where to put them.

I just need to make sure everythings is right before putting the bandage down as it will be a pig of a job to alter anything once thats down.

There are a few things I'm looking at doing, first is to add another tunnel portal to the front right hand side corner.

I was going to have it as a rock face but I think it will look better as a tunnel portal, the recess to the side of that tunnel is for one of the large cast rocks to slot into!

You can see one of the Culverts near the high level station this is where the stream will start, it goes through that completely built up culvert and all that will be on the other side is the plate with the hole in, the water would just pour out of there on to the rocks/hill side.

Now need to work out how steep to do the sides into the middle, bearing in mind that there is a baseboard join virtuall where the high level baseboard finshes!.

post-6745-0-02174500-1383513079_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-32419000-1383513102_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-01325700-1383512957_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-03687900-1383512977_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-58885000-1383512998_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-67559400-1383513121_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-46655400-1383513057_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-51583100-1383513038_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-55206200-1383513016_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions or comments more than welcome.

Need to make sure all is OK before putting the bandage on now as once thats on, it will be hard to change anything.

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some more up to date shots on current progress.

I have to say that this is bloody tricky!!!

It's like chess, thinking about 5 moves in advance.

If I do certain things in the wrong order I will never get to them again!

Firstly, I've never modelled a stream, track gradients or tunnel mouths, as a first and complicated attempt I don't think it's turning out too bad IMHO.

I couldn't resist so sprinkled a bit of scatter down just to see how it will turn out.

I normally put this scatter down first then go over it with static grass, which I'm also waiting for.

The rocks I've coloured using the Woodland scenics earth colour pigments kit.

8 colours that you mix with water then using the spotting technique just spot colours randomly over the rocks then cover in a black wash.

They work very well and it goes a very long way!

The rocks are made from the Woodland scenics moulds and the Hydrocal(plaster of paris)

Got to say they work very well too.

post-6745-0-15280000-1385326178_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-13552800-1385326252_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-24867700-1385326415_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-59426200-1385326452_thumb.jpg

Still lots to do.

I do have some 'talus' which I will colour the same as the rocks and scatter this down the stream bed to give the rocky appearance.

There will be a small waterfall as the water comes out of the culvert, and also halfway down the stream., again never done a waterfall either!

Must vacuum up the scatter as it looks a mess, but it was just to give me an idea.

The gradient is steep on this, If I start a wagon off at the top it will go all the way round the two loops and stop on the hidden siding below the high level station, goes like a rocket after the first tunnel mouth!!!

The Hachette coach is what I've been testing the radius with as it was so cheap, I don't mind it getting glue or plaster on it, it doesn't run very freely though down the gradient, although the curves are borderline for this to go down, I have had to take the self centering springs off!

At least the old Hornby Class 121 bubble car will go up and down it OK as does the Class 08.

Lets be right it's never really going to be running high speed stuff, apart from down hill :mosking:

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Just thought, this may help to put things into perspective:-

A OO figure in front of the Aqueduct.

post-6745-0-46362400-1385328052_thumb.jpg

The whole idea was to have a dramatic large structure and I was hoping not to take this away when doing the slopes and valleys down to the stream.

Looking at this I don't think it's taken anything away from the size of the aqueduct.

Cheers

Ian

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

What with one thing and another it's taken a while to get any more done on this layout!

Still it's getting there slowly!

Just trying different colours and lengths of static grass to break up the first layer.

Also arranged the trees, they still need to be 'planted' but need to make sure they are in the right place to make it look right.

I havent worked out if I should buy some more and start the 'wood' right near the top tunnel mouth and then take them down closer to the stream or thin out whats there and have less of a wood!

I took the photo with the Class 24 to give an idea of sizes, the tree at the side of the Class 24 is 180mm tall it dwarfs all the other trees as they are only 80-100mm.

Having the small trees in the middle though gives the aqueduct more presence....I think?

Then I have to work out the goods yard area which is a bit bland at the minute, but I 'm trying to concentrate on what I would consider as the most dramatic scene.

Lots to do still!

post-6745-0-43255800-1411417462.jpg

post-6745-0-37820600-1411417456.jpg

post-6745-0-81716900-1411417449.jpg

post-6745-0-77543900-1411417443.jpg

post-6745-0-90671600-1411417430.jpg

post-6745-0-61012500-1411417424.jpg

post-6745-0-48448600-1411417418.jpg

post-6745-0-96434300-1411417411.jpg

As always any comments or suggestions welcome.

Still have to add lots of scenic treatment to the hillside, then once done some water can be added to the stream!

Cheers

Ian

Think you are doing it the right way. Slowly building up the scene, looking for the right colors.

The layout is coming slowly together and I like the result so far.

Maybe you can give the stone bridge in the front some weathering with pastels or pigments.

Adding some olive green at the edge of the grass and wall and brushing it up to the top of the bridge for a few mm/cm.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you!

I've done a bit more now, the station area and goods yard have some scenery added, which still needs finishing.

I've been side tracked with other projects so this has slipped behind.

I really must get some more updated photos done!

A couple just to show things are progressing all be it very slowly!

post-6745-0-49051200-1435779613_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-87684300-1435779538_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-58544600-1435779563_thumb.jpg

I've added some large trees to hide each end of the aqueduct, which also needs the railing adding and finishing off.

Once I've got all the grasses down I can add the water and waterfall.

That's going to be interesting, never done water features before!

Cheers

Ian

• 2 years later...

Thank you!

I've done a bit more now, the station area and goods yard have some scenery added, which still needs finishing.

I've been side tracked with other projects so this has slipped behind.

I really must get some more updated photos done!

A couple just to show things are progressing all be it very slowly!

attachicon.gifDSCF0190.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0192.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0195.JPG

I've added some large trees to hide each end of the aqueduct, which also needs the railing adding and finishing off.

Once I've got all the grasses down I can add the water and waterfall.

That's going to be interesting, never done water features before!

Cheers

Ian

This is so nice, and the concept is close to what I have in mind for a brand new layout on an 8x4 sheet.  Did you ever finish it?  Does it continue on another thread?  Since you are obviously a model maker perhaps even more than a MR enthusiast, did you ever consider animating the narrow boat?  I have been thinking about this ... a fishing line tow loop on pulleys with real water?  a magnet tow under the canal bed (think Subbuteo)?

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I actually gave the layout to Paul Lunn who gave me the idea for it.

He really liked what I had done and said if ever I came to get rid of it could he be first choice.

I believe he has adjusted a few things on it and made a start on all the detail bits, but as he's very busy not too sure exactly how much he has done.

Thank you for the kind comments, I wouldn't exactly say I'm a model maker, compared to some layouts I've seen, although you are correct in being a model maker more than a model rail enthusiast.

Cheers

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I actually gave the layout to Paul Lunn who gave me the idea for it.

He really liked what I had done and said if ever I came to get rid of it could he be first choice.

I believe he has adjusted a few things on it and made a start on all the detail bits, but as he's very busy not too sure exactly how much he has done.

Thank you for the kind comments, I wouldn't exactly say I'm a model maker, compared to some layouts I've seen, although you are correct in being a model maker more than a model rail enthusiast.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian, Yes you're so right, he's manically busy.  OK, I own up it's me!  Have managed to get the layout into a better position in the study so I can work easily on both sides.  Have started to mock-up a few bits just to get a feel of where I might go.  The layout will feature in Model Rail later this year, forcing me to get on with some modifications.  I've managed to get a few really nice photo's just from how it is before any changes, showing off your superb talent as a builder.  I'll try to get some stuff uploaded as soon as I can, though as always deadlines are looming.  Hope you're well and enjoying your latest project.  Welcome also to rogerv, pleased that you're interested in a similar concept, would love to follow what you're doing.  Kind regards Paul 

Archived