BR Standard Brake Vans on SR

Dancess

Hi, Read in BRM that standard BR Brake Vans were barred from SR, if so was this changed or what vans were used besides, I hope, the "Pill Box" van. Want my N. Cornwall layout to have correct stock!

Many thanks for any replies.

I've never heard about any ban, but I've seen photos of BR standard vans on ex-Southern lines around London in various books - e.g. Southern Railway Reflections: The London Area (Silver Link, 2005), on p25 there is a picture of a BR standard van in Wimbledon Yard, dated 20/8/65. On p72 there is another van in a coal train hauled by a Q1 at Chessington South, 5/9/64. Other vans pictured are the similar LNER brakes, as well as SECR, LBSCR, pillbox, Queen Mary, and a few LMS examples on inter-regional freights.

I know these are not North Cornwall, but I've only got a couple of books about this area, and they're not much use for pictures of freight trains (I've had a quick look through both).

I assume the pillbox design appeared all over, but I'm sure someone here knows more about specific allocations.

I'm with David and Bill, a total ban seems very unlikely given the huge number of photographed examples. There *might* have been a problem with the narrow bore tunnels on the Hastings line (cf. the specially built 'Hastings gauge' DEMUs and 33/2s).

Edit: if the source of this gem is the Dave Larkin article in the March issue, I've just checked it and the caption to a pic of an SR van does specifically mention problems with tunnels between Tonbridge and Hastings...)

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 1

I siuppose that there might have been bans on weight grounds on some lines - a 15T batch of pillbox brake vans were built, of course, for lighter duties and lines, although the 10T axle loading on a standard BR brake van hardly seems excessive - even a Terrier had a greater axle load than this on the rear axle, and they got across Langstone Bridge.

Many thanks for the replies and opinions.I was referring to the 2nd picture and text on p40 of the article. Maybe it is just a matter of interpretation and my old age is getting me slightly confused.

:lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lot 3394 were built at Ashford, so I can't see them being banned on the Southern except for specific routes.

Paul Bartlett's site has them pictured at various locations from Dover through South London and Southampton to Exmouth Junction.

Then I spotted a gem http://www.northcornwallrailway.co.uk/. click the tab for the route and go to the Port Isaac Road to Wadebridge section. Look for the picures of a BWT at Wadebridge and there's one in the background

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

Maybe it is just a matter of interpretation and my old age is getting me slightly confused.

No, I dont think it is - I've picked up the May issue today and it's pretty clear. I can only assume it's a slip, or that it's something that was in force at one point and later lifted.

No, I dont think it is - I've picked up the May issue today and it's pretty clear. I can only assume it's a slip, or that it's something that was in force at one point and later lifted.

Thank goodness for that! Too young to be going senile!

Will still keep pre-order for "Pillbox" vans though.

Many thanks for all comments / replies.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 16/04/2012 at 14:19, Mark Saunders said:

I believe that the ban was on the Whitstable branch due to the restricted loading gauge on one of the tunnels and ordinary goods vans were also prohibited and traffic that would have normally been in vans was in sheeted opens.

Mark Saunders

In B.R. day the only brake vans permitted on the C.& W. were the two fifteen-tonners specifically cut down to squeeze through Tyler Hill Tunnel ( replacing a pair of cut down former L.S.W.R. vans ). Sheeted opens would have been normal for many traffics in earlier years, of course, but one particular flow on the C.& W. was grain in modified L.S.W.R. 8-plankers as no 'modern' grain hopper would fit.