Carlise allocated Derby lightweight liveries.

A stab in the dark question. I know from photographic evidence that at least one Derby lightweight DTC aquired full yellow ends and the yellow stripe over the first class section. By remote chance would anyone know the number of that vehicle. Also some units appeared in Blue with yellow panels, (at least one later aquired Full yellw ends if the position of the double arrow is anything to go by). Does anyone have numbers for the so liveried vehicles. Its a long shot i know but I have gone through all my Railway observers and drawn a blank so far.

Many thanks in anticipation of a full post bag :no: .

Paul J.

This one needs to receive the tender mercies of the good people of the Transition Diesel liveries Group.

I for one, have not heard of GFYE on these units before, but BSYP and BFYE were both staple power out of Carlisle in the '66-69 period. In many cases these were units reallocated in to replace early withdrawals, themselves not lasting more than a year or so before the cutter beckoned for them too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Robert,

Most useful especially the number of the first shot. It's probably 79124 as 79024 was an ER one and I have no record of it being in service anywhere near the North West. I've found another shot of 79124 being broken up at Carlisle, unfortunatly the cab front has gone so I don't know if it had small yellow panels when scrapped although it does have the small 3" numbers.

The other shot at Hellifield is the one I'd really like to confirm the number of. Its one of the early batch, TCL numbers 79600-12, and from my reseaches so far it's unlikely to be 79601/3/4/9/12. Unless someone can come up with the number I'll have to pick a number and hope it's the right one.

Paul J.

Robert,

Most useful especially the number of the first shot. It's probably 79124 as 79024 was an ER one and I have no record of it being in service anywhere near the North West. I've found another shot of 79124 being broken up at Carlisle, unfortunatly the cab front has gone so I don't know if it had small yellow panels when scrapped although it does have the small 3" numbers.

The other shot at Hellifield is the one I'd really like to confirm the number of. Its one of the early batch, TCL numbers 79600-12, and from my reseaches so far it's unlikely to be 79601/3/4/9/12. Unless someone can come up with the number I'll have to pick a number and hope it's the right one.

Paul J.

The final digit appears to be 7 which would make it M79607.

Robert,

Thank you very for that info. Looks like M79607 it is for the TCL. If, and it's a BIG if, the kept the same DMBS throughout there lives then the DMBS will be M79015.

Paul J.

Note that the DMBS in the image does not have full yellow ends.

• 1 year later...

This one needs to receive the tender mercies of the good people of the Transition Diesel liveries Group.

I for one, have not heard of GFYE on these units before, but BSYP and BFYE were both staple power out of Carlisle in the '66-69 period. In many cases these were units reallocated in to replace early withdrawals, themselves not lasting more than a year or so before the cutter beckoned for them too.

You might like this then :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/10593797436/in/set-72157637160739196

Nice shot. It's quite an early application of FYE if the date is right. I wonder if it's the same one in robertcwp's photograph or another member of the class?

Paul J

Looks very likely Paul, especially as the last digit also looks like a '7' and the DMBS has a similarly 'mucky' roof; the electrification flash looks to be in exactly the same place as well. The YFE in this shot seems cleaner though, but that could just be the 'mucky' weather.

• 3 months later...

Nice one Robert. Wrap round at both ends as well. I think its the first time I.ve seen a photo of a complete unit like that.

Paul J.

Hi Paul,

Just the Derby Lghtweights - or generally, I feel a challenge coming on............

Hi Paul,

Just the Derby Lghtweights - or generally, I feel a challenge coming on............

Any class of unit, DMU or EMU. Robert beat me to it with his shot of the 108. I've seen a shot of a Class 100 with what looks like wrap round ends at both ends of the unit, but it is difficult to tell with them as they wrapped round to a certain extent anyway. Those are the only ones I've come across so far.

Paul J.

Paul J.

Any class of unit, DMU or EMU. Robert beat me to it with his shot of the 108. I've seen a shot of a Class 100 with what looks like wrap round ends at both ends of the unit, but it is difficult to tell with them as they wrapped round to a certain extent anyway. Those are the only ones I've come across so far.

Paul J.

Paul J.

OK - here's a good'un, not only wrap around yellow, but a mixed rake as well.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/10593819855/sizes/o/in/set-72157637160739196/

OK - here's a good'un, not only wrap around yellow, but a mixed rake as well.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/10593819855/sizes/o/in/set-72157637160739196/

A very interesting photo and a very mixed rake. Am I imagining things but does it look like the grey roof has been continued down over the cab front to the "eyebrows" above the windows. They are definitely yellow on Roberts shot, but in this one look grey to me.

No Andy, the shot I have is in my collection of a 2 x 2car formation in Princes Gardens Edinburgh. I don't know where it came from, and I've looked on the net. The leading set is a Gloucester 100 and the leading vehicle is a DMBS with wrap round yellow ends. Its's impossible to see if the DTC has the proper wrap round ends to it. The 2nd set is a 101 in mixed Blue/green livery. I can't post a link to it and I don't know whose copyright it is to be able to post my copy of it.

Paul J.

{aul,

The transpennine unit is just 'mucky' I think.

Andy

The Pennines were prone to getting that area covered in gunge when coupled to another unit. The leading DMC is more than likely 1967, which was released from Donny with a standard full yellow end.

Al Taylor

The Pennines were prone to getting that area covered in gunge when coupled to another unit. The leading DMC is more than likely 1967, which was released from Donny with a standard full yellow end.

Al Taylor

Can't be certain which number it is - but....

.....it's different to the other linked pic; the MU coupling codes are in different positions.

Andy

Archived