How much space is ideal for a layout?

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium

Found this interesting snippet in an old Railway Modeller March 1969, by the late CJ Freezer.

"How big?

It has come to my notice that a government publication, giving the sizes of various common household articles for the benefit of architects and others, gives the size of a model railway as 6ft x 4ft. Where they got this particular gem from, I know not, certainly they cannot have consulted any authority on the subject.

It would be laughable were it not for the fact that a friend of mine has had planning application for a shed refused on the grounds that 6ft x 4ft was big enough for a model railway. This raises a rather serious point. Surely a man is entitled to determine for himself just how much space he needs for his hobby. Providing the resulting structure is not too big for the site and the overall design does not clash with adjoining property, the only objection that can be raised to the proposed use is that it would be unpleasant to neighbours."

I'm sure no one can argue with Freezer on this topic. How can anyone possibly come up with such a size limit? Perhaps they merely looked at a Tri-ang trainset?

Kevin Martin

Found this interesting snippet in an old Railway Modeller March 1969, by the late CJ Freezer.

This is two different and not really related issues:

1) Guidelines for architects about "typical sizes" of various things you may find in an average home - sofas, dining room tables, refrigerators, small table model railroad layouts and so on and so forth.

This is not setting legal maximum limits for how big a couch or fridge you can buy, or how big a layout you can build - it just gave architects back in 1969 a quick reference for how big some "typical" items may have been when they make plans. I have no idea whether architects still have some guidelines for typical layout sizes, and whether those guidelines have changed since 1969.

2) A majority of the members of some local planning/zoning board (or whatever the authority is called) somewhere in the UK back in 1969 decided to introduce some very subjective criteria for whether to approve or not approve the construction of a shed on a property.

I find it hard to get very worked up by the fact that someone had trouble with their local planning board back in 1969, ie 40-some years ago. I assume the case was resolved in some way more than 40 years ago.

Smile,

Stein

On the subject of sheds and planning permission, when we wanted to put a shed up a couple of years ago I went to see the council because the one we wanted would have breached planning regulations, being too near to a boundary for its height. There was no possibilty of neighbours objecting, but the planning officer said there was no leeway in the rules and that we should apply for permission. As I was about to leave, he said, 'Of course, you could just build it anyway, we're not going to ask you to take it down'.

So we did. I wonder if the chap in 1969 just went ahead anyway.

• RMweb Premium

I hope (or assume!) you mean 200 square yards :O

Err, no, just shy of 200yds in each direction.

I think you must be Pete Waterman in disguise!

Jeff

Not quite in that league. Anyway, this is 4mm not 7mm !.

Adrian

See my reply to 'Help with track layout' started on 11 April by Earl Bathurst. My exhibition layout is 8.5 ft x 7.5 ft and it has most things you would want on a layout, ie 3 inter connected levels, 4 platform terminus, steam and diesel shed, double track WCML with OH catenary and a reversing loop. It must be entertaining as it has been to the NEC 4 times and Ally Pally in 2011.

• RMweb Gold

Be very wary of what council planning officers say. There is a good website google planning portal for info on extensions. The rules have changed recently which in some cases allows more leeway in others less. The website has an outbuildings mini guide which will give ou the info. Part of the new regs is a tougher height restriction if the building is within 2 metres of the boundary. naturally your family would prefer the shed to be out of the way shoved up against the fence. If you consider how you would feel about someone else placing a large building against your fence it is easier to understand the restriction. However if your garden is big enough you can build a pretty large shed family permitting.

The bigger issue is what is the ideal size. Personally I think 30ftx15ft tops makes sense. However a friend has about six sheds that size linked with outdoor sections in his garden plus 5 inch gauge but does have a team of friends to help. He also has a bigger piggy bank than I have!

Don

Archived