Silk Purse, Sows Ear - Or knowing when to quit?

After pondering the non-river end of my Horsebridge layout for some time, I found myself pondering as to what is still in the loft at my parents.

I remembered that there was a built cottage kit sitting in a box, having been around for as long as I can remember. I also knew there was a problem with it....

post-723-0-78393100-1335718827.jpg

This, er, masterful painting was carried out by me, aged about 6, with waterclolours(!) on my Gran's kitchen table.

The kit itself is Airfix, and I have little recollection of where it came from originally - although hazy memories suggest a jumble sale, for about 10p. What I do know is that it was built when I got it (Over 20 years ago).

Having a look at it today, I've noticed a few other problems.

The main one (apart from that paint job!) is that the windows have been assembled incorrectly - they are on the outside. Another is that there are a few bits missing/damaged, probably from years being shuffled around in boxes - a total lack of glazing, guttering and the chunk of roof missing (nearest corner in photo) for a start. One of the chimneys is wonky. Oh - and what's the back like, you say? - Well, the windows are fitted the right way... - but the wall isn't, with a total lack of detail (That's on the inside...apart from the door, which is fitted correctly(!)

So. Do I put it back in the box and ignore it, or is it worth trying to rebuild it? - I did try to seperate the mouldings today in the shed, but whatever glue it was constructed with, however many years ago is strong, strong stuff, and was resistant to my proddings and slicings with a craft knife.

Ta!

That's installation art, that is. Fence off a patch of your layout, and plant it. Give it a big sign explaining how student artists from The Slide or wherever have built it to show the fundamental disconnect between commercial building and the organic habitat.

Alternatively do what should be done with all installation art, and smash it into tiny pieces and then bin it.

So. Do I put it back in the box and ignore it, or is it worth trying to rebuild it? - I did try to seperate the mouldings today in the shed, but whatever glue it was constructed with, however many years ago is strong, strong stuff, and was resistant to my proddings and slicings with a craft knife.

I think that's your answer Seags. You'll probably damage it beyond reasonable redemption - a new kit is about a fiver, I think, and you could always look on it as a 'spiritual' replacement :angel:

• RMweb Premium

Why don't you put it up for sale on eBay with a descriptor suggesting it's avant-garde work from the 70s, pre-Banksy? I mean, how many modellers would be so inspired as to fit the windows on the outside, coupled with art-of-the-state graffiti?

Sure to sell at a grossly inflated price and you can use the profits to fund plenty of new kits.

Jeff

IIRC, the original instructions stated to mount the windows this way. The sill mouldings would seem to confirm this, as would the rather poor fit when mounted the right way round. They didn't have luxuries like guttering and glazing. (What do you expect for 2/-?)

The windows 'should' come out with care and water colour will wash off. Plastic dissolved in solvent to make a paste will fill cracks and enable a good restoration. This was supposed to be a Country Inn (Nag's Head), but is a bit small for a pub IMHO.

The current price of this kit (from Dapol website) is £5.70.

I still have the one I built back in the 50s when they first came out, though it's a bit tired now. (The walls have bowed due to an excess of adhesive used to fix glazing!)

Cheers all, nice to know that true art is sometimes appreciated ;)

The paint does come off with the aid of a wet finger, so It's not beyond redemption on that front. However, what I'm currently thinking (with a nod to Ian's 'spiritual replacement' suggestion, which I really liked) is to simply buy a new one (Dapol market this kit nowadays, I've found!), keeping it as a cottage rather than a pub - unless I find another 'railway workers cottages' style kit which fits!

You might be pleased to know though that this one won't go in the bin - I'll hold onto it for old times sake and, perhaps, see if I can restore it at some point in the future for another project.

Hope I've raised a few smiles on a Sunday night, in any case :)

You could possibly add it to the back of the layout somewhere, & surround it with scaffolding, ladders & corrugated iron, to suggest either a demolition or renovation scene. This would excuse things like missing windows, gutters & other various dilapidation..

• RMweb Gold

I have found that immersing no-hopers like this in very warm water - as warm as your hands will stand, and Marigolds may help - can be beneficial to deconstruction, so that you can at least try again. Easing each of the joints while in the water can often result in a clean removal of pieces, although the nature of the original glue will be a factor, no doubt. Not worth not trying?

I have found that immersing no-hopers like this in very warm water - as warm as your hands will stand, and Marigolds may help - can be beneficial to deconstruction, so that you can at least try again. Easing each of the joints while in the water can often result in a clean removal of pieces, although the nature of the original glue will be a factor, no doubt. Not worth not trying?

if it were me id go with this too perhaps base it on that old cottage in hellingly by the cuckoo trail that constantly has scaffold on it

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't bin it; I'd keep it as a reminder of first steps in modelling, congratulate myself that I can now do better - and do just that by replacing it on the layout with a better model.

I wouldn't bin it; I'd keep it as a reminder of first steps in modelling, congratulate myself that I can now do better - and do just that by replacing it on the layout with a better model.

To be honest there was never any chance of binning it! - I'm far too much of a hoarder/sentimental youngish fool for that!

You could possibly add it to the back of the layout somewhere, & surround it with scaffolding, ladders & corrugated iron, to suggest either a demolition or renovation scene. This would excuse things like missing windows, gutters & other various dilapidation..

Or make it look like a delapidated house needing renovation, some plastruct strip hanging off the eves to look like guttering that's falling off etc.

You'd have to cover the fantastic first steps in artwork however.

Archived