engineering Trains, Civil Link livery

Shed

This comes up alot. It was in the region of 83-84. Certainly seen photos of wagons in it in 1984. Remember the livid came later iirc the first "general grey " loco was 89 with the first addition of yellow stripe 1990.

Couple of variations from December 1983, Tonbridge,

DB980000, and others in the background with a darker grey

post-6971-0-09295400-1336336449.jpg

DB982544 with a thinner yellow stripe and another variation on grey

post-6971-0-12219800-1336336452.jpg

Think i photographed them because the livery was new-ish, although that on the first photo is already grubby.

In my VCA instruction leaflet, I've got a date of 1988 for the introduction of 'Civil link' livery on VCAs. The instructions were printed in January 1991, so I would have checked up in my collection of Rail and Modern Railways at the time before writing that! IIRC Speedlink ceased in July 1991, so the two existed alongside for a few years.

I think Civil-Link appeared with the demise of Speedlink as a dedicated network of trains for the Civil Engineers and was also used to move crippled private owner wagons to the main works.

Mark Saunders

I meant Civil link network services rather than livery!

Mark Saunders

In my VCA instruction leaflet, I've got a date of 1988 for the introduction of 'Civil link' livery on VCAs. The instructions were printed in January 1991, so I would have checked up in my collection of Rail and Modern Railways at the time before writing that! IIRC Speedlink ceased in July 1991, so the two existed alongside for a few years.

I notice that there is a photograph of a 'Bass' in 'Civil Link' livery dated May 1988 on Paul Bartlett's site and since it looks freshly painted with a quoted repaint date of March 1988, this would appear to be consistent. See http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbass/h2e20bc1e#h2e20bc1e

Of course I have no idea how many wagons may have been painted in 'Civil Link' livery before this date.

Regards

David

I notice that there is a photograph of a 'Bass' in 'Civil Link' livery dated May 1988 on Paul Bartlett's site and since it looks freshly painted with a quoted repaint date of March 1988, this would appear to be consistent. See http://paulbartlett....0bc1e#h2e20bc1e

Of course I have no idea how many wagons may have been painted in 'Civil Link' livery before this date.

Regards

David

There is a b/w photo of one in May 88 Motive power monthly reported as Hoo Junction 1 February 88 - ZDA DC110271.

Incidentally MPM is THE primary place to look for all such timings during the period it was being produced.

Paul Bartlett

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Couple of variations from December 1983, Tonbridge,

DB980000, and others in the background with a darker grey

post-6971-0-09295400-1336336449.jpg

DB982544 with a thinner yellow stripe and another variation on grey

post-6971-0-12219800-1336336452.jpg

Think i photographed them because the livery was new-ish, although that on the first photo is already grubby.

Great photos

What are the wagons in front of the sea cows?

Great photos

What are the wagons in front of the sea cows?

In front of 980000 (cut off at the bottom of the frame) are VB Grampus I think, common on the SR for engineering spoil and other stuff, and in front of 982544 are Dace, conversions of shock hood (?) at the very front, and another Grampus on the road between them and the Seacow.

In front of 980000 (cut off at the bottom of the frame) are VB Grampus I think, common on the SR for engineering spoil and other stuff, and in front of 982544 are Dace, conversions of shock hood (?) at the very front, and another Grampus on the road between them and the Seacow.

Cheers for that.

• 1 month later...

Rather than being used to deliver fuel, I suspect it would have been used to recover spilt fuel from the interceptor, to save it running into the main sewers. The waste would then have been taken elsewhere for treatment- am I correct in thinking that there was no, or very restricted, road access to Ranelagh Bridge, so a road tanker would have problems getting in?

I was thinking more about wagons and when they went dutch and got the words civil link put on them.

Pre 1990?

This was answered at 14, during 1988

Paul

Archived