railway outakes 1961

• RMweb Premium

The flyover scenes with the WD over the top (possibly a Tilbury boat train going underneath?), Underground train and the Brush 2 with Presflos were at Barking, but the aerial shots just before that (around 07:00) looked more like Bletchley. I think the 'Lea Valley Enterprise' shunting shots from 07:57 onwards were at Broxbourne-surprising to see an ex GC 6w brake van against the stops, although it does look a bit abandoned!

• RMweb Gold

The flyover scenes ................. but the aerial shots just before that (around 07:00) looked more like Bletchley. .

Oxford lines in the foreground long since gone. That looks like an 8F on the Down Slow with a load of Chalk Tipplers bound for Rugby.

The scene with the then brand new signal box at the single track level crossing is at Ware in Hertfordshire. I spent many happy hours there in my very young days watching N7's hauling Gresley Quad-art coaches go by before electrification came along. Even this signal box has now gone.

Hi Michael,

The layout at Ware was/is unusual in that when built, the intention was to have a two platform layout, indeed the tracks were laid for this. When the line was being built, there was a problem with landowners and the railway company laid a single track across the road overnight without permission so that they could make the connection to Hertford East. I think one of C J Allen's excellent books gives the whole story.

The original signal box was at the Eastern end of the station platform and when I was there, it was amazing how trains from both directions arrived at Ware at the same time, meaning that one had to be held by signals waiting for a clear path. Those from Liverpool Street had to wait opposite the Wickhams Factory. There was also an extensive goods yard at the Eastern end of the station, now a residential estate.

Wonderful days, that live in the memory.

Brian

would like to know the locations of most of the shots if people can identity them, such as the flyovers.

The Midland Pullman shots are between Sharnbrook Tunnel and Sharnbrook Station with the train on the Up Goods filmed from the Up Main.

The ICI limestone hoppers at 08:50 are at Great Rocks.

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant find - especially the shots of Barking flyover (I know it well, but only from the post-steam era).

I can't help but wonder if those FA Vauxhall Victors coming off the carflats were already going rusty!

Archived