GNSR 4mm kits- any available?

HOTTODDY

I'm a member of the GNSR and Royal Deeside RPS and would like to know if there any part/full kits available of locos, coaches and wagons. The 0-4-4 tank used on the "subbies" and 4/6 wheel stock would be ideal. At some time (when I get some time!) I am researching stations along the Deeside for a suitable layout project. I will be holidaying at Maryculter (5th time) during September/ October, so I get the opportunity to walk some of the route and visit Crathes. Any like minded modellers please get in touch.

Tod

Guest Natalie Graham

Worsley Works have etches for a couple of locos in the range. I don't know if they are in 4mm scale but knowing how Alan Doherty works they no doubt could be if requested.

The Worsley Works locomotive etchings are in 3mm currently, and cover the S and V class 4-4-0's.  Nu-Cast do (did) a couple of 4-4-0's, probably the same ones, described as LNER D40 and D41 Classes.  These are currently shown in the Sherwood Models website, but I don't know how available they are.  Worsley do quite a range of coaches, both bogie and 6 wheel, but only the Etched sides, ends, floor and roof.

Peter K  (Kemilway) does an etching only for the 6 wheel horse box.

Nu-Cast also produced plastic kits for a GNoSR van and open.  I think that these might have re-appeared under the ABS label, but I am not sure, and hunting them down can be interesting.

Also in the past, the much missed Model Wagon Company produced a white metal cattle wagon kit.  

Most of these old items are covered in full in the book produced by the GNoSRA on modelling the line.

Guest stuartp

West Coast Kits stocked the D40/41 (it's whichever one Gordon Highlander is), no website but they advertised in the Railway Modeller last time I bought one. Mine came with motor, gears and wheels but be quick - according to Metropolitan's thread on his Beyer-Garret build, Nu-Cast/Autocom are about to call it a day.

Funnily enough I started putting a Nu-Cast GNSR open together recently. First vehicle from that company I'll have built.

There was talk somewhere on the 'net of a project to 3D model one of the lovely outside framed vans, which I've always fancied scratchbuilding and use it as the basis for a resin kit. I tried to contact the chap through this forum but never had a reply.

Don't forget the GNSRA has a committee member who looks after modelling matters and shoudl be able to help - Des Byrne - contact details on the Contents page of the most recent Great North Review

There was talk somewhere on the 'net of a project to 3D model one of the lovely outside framed vans, which I've always fancied scratchbuilding and use it as the basis for a resin kit. I tried to contact the chap through this forum but never had a reply.

There have been some (very) recent messages on the GNSR Yahoo list about this (or something very like it); availability seems uncertain ATM but if I see any resolution, I'll report back accordingly.

Tod are you working in 4mm? There is actually more available in 7mm but there is progress in 4, all of below refers to 4mm.

The North East Scotland (Grampian) area group of the Scalefour Society are actively developing plans for GNSR wagons.

GNSR had variations within the same type, for example the drop side 3 plank had a 1 side door, a both side door and a no side door version. We are looking at the most viable way of building in the variations.

The group are hoping to have a small layout that they can exhibit that has a local feel. I also need these for my own project, a small part of which will hopefully be available shortly.

There has recently been some shots of an HO outside frame van added to the Yahoo group but I would need to see one in the flesh before passing comment. The photos certainly don't do much for me but that is possibly just how they show.

Worsley Works do carriage side etches in 4mm for a selection of the 6 wheel and bogie types, with roof and floors. They are lovely etches. Bogies are available elsewhere as are fittings.

Only the V and F (LNER D40) classes are available as a kit. PDK do an etched kit.

If you are doing research this is an invaluable tool - http://geo.nls.uk. Go to the search applications and select the 25 inch maps. They show the track layouts of all of the stations on the Deeside line.

If you are visiting drop me a PM.

John

Many many thanks for all your replies. I shall give each and every one my attention in the fullness of time (Ha! when I get some). I model LNER 4mm/16.5 fine(ish) scale for the record.

Interesting comment about Nu-cast/ Autocom as I have several LNER types from them.

As a new member of GN of SRA I will take advantage of their library resources and It looks like I'll have to scratch build the class "R", later G10 tank.

Many thanks once again, giving me much to think about,

Tod

An outfit called Prickly Pear produced some kits for Victorian 4-wheel coaches. I got one off the LRM stand at a show.

Prickly Pear (Paul Tasker) will have a stand at Scaleforum this year (see the Scalefour Society website).

As far as I can remember he did/does several etched brass early carriages for the GNSR.

• 3 weeks later...

The kits of externally framed GNSR wagons to Diagrams 14, 15 (two types) and 16 are now available in 4mm from CWR: www.chrisjward.co.uk.

There are kits of 8 different GNS coaches in brass available from Worsley:http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/4mm/4mm_GNSR.htm

If you are a GNSRA member get in touch with Des, the new modelling Sec.

Archived