higher Buxton Goods Depot / Buxton south

18B

Hi,

I wondered if anyone has any info or even pics of the Higher Buxton Goods depot, my understanding is that is lasted until the 1980s and even received wagon loads of coal amongst other traffic.

It sounds like it might make an interesting basis for a small goods yard model in the deisel era.

Best regards

alex

I'm sure it used to received international registered 2-axle Interfrigo vans in the early 1980s - IIRC cheese was either loaded or unloaded using the facilites. Wagons were tripped up from Ashburys on the feeder service and exchanged. I seem to recall seeing a photo in one of the magazines at the time - perhaps Railway World?

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Cheers Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The colour ones have finally surfaced!

Taken in about Summer 1977 on a 110 camera.

Looking south towards the Hindlow direction.

post-6748-0-62085600-1348948650.jpg

Looking into the yard.

post-6748-0-33664900-1348948666.jpg

The coal office.

post-6748-0-59837100-1348948692.jpg

Weighing machine office.

post-6748-0-19115600-1348948713.jpg

Views of the goods shed.

post-6748-0-32743000-1348948736.jpg

post-6748-0-71112200-1348948755.jpg

post-6748-0-80575500-1348948770.jpg

post-6748-0-36802700-1348948793.jpg

post-6748-0-40291800-1348948803.jpg

post-6748-0-30925800-1348948825.jpg

I took more in black and white but unfortunately they seem to have been lost over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

can't believe I've only just gone back through the postings and found these pics! they are fantastic,

Any ideas on what the covered wagons were carrying?

Looks like the coal merchant was a real traditional style kind of operation, and one can imagine why one lingerd on up here in Buxton, given the sometimes (mainly) awful weather, minus 20 and colder last winter up here.

thanks again for posting such fantastic pictures.

• 4 months later...

the article in this months Traction magazine has certainly stirred my interest in this little outpost.

i wonder whats on the former site now? new housing no doubt.   i visit Buxton a fair bit so will have a walk around the area next time i am up there.

the article in this months Traction magazine has certainly stirred my interest in this little outpost.

i wonder whats on the former site now? new housing no doubt.   i visit Buxton a fair bit so will have a walk around the area next time i am up there.

Yep, it's a little estate called Silverlands Park. I wonder if any of the houses have been called The Sidings? :)

Here's another shot of the goods shed taken IIRC some time in the early 80s.
post-277-0-70728500-1362424754_thumb.jpg

There used to be a small fuel depot at the bottom of the embankment on Dale Road (opposite Crowestones) which I think received deliveries by rail (with the help of gravity) though I might be imagining things there.

There had been a coal yard at Buxton Midland that ended up being consolidated with Higher Buxton, the land became North Western's new bus garage, now an Aldi store.
Coal was a major source of traffic to Buxton, not just for domestic purposes but to the quarries for the kilns and also the town gas works down Ashwood Dale. The loss of that traffic, along with the closure of a lot of the smaller, less efficient quarries were key factors in the decline of the railway in the High Peak. Higher Buxton would make an interesting little shunting yard, as also would Shallcross up at Whaley Bridge (funnily enough, also a small housing development now!)

Home from work, I checked my copy of the Foxline book Buxton to Ashbourne, and I was not imagining the unloading of petrol to a fuel depot down on Dale Road. If you look at the first photo in the black and white collection in post #8 you can see a short siding terminating short of the goods shed. That siding was used to park tank wagons that were emptied via gravity to tanks at the bottom of the embankment. I don't remember how long that lasted, the area is now shown as a tyre depot, but there is a picture in the Foxline book dated 1969 showing a couple of tank wagons on that track. It serves as a perfectly valid prototype for a customer you don't need to model!

The notes in the book also mention that the basement of the goods shed was used at one time for storing cheeses.

I realise this is a bit off-topic, but I came across some interesting pictures of another small Peak district goods yard that would, as I suggested earlier, perhaps make an interesting shunting layout on this site http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=641&p=6. Post 111 has a good overview of Shallcross yard, earlier in the thread there is a picture looking the other way. The Foxline books covering the area have a number of pictures of the area.

It's quite compact and has a natural view break at one end since the entry point runs underneath Chapel Road. Traffic was fairly brisk, at least while the gas works was open, the Foxline book also notes scrap iron for a local foundry, coal and coke for the Co-op and fertiliser. Bagged animal feed seems to have been another incoming traffic based on road vehicles being loaded. Finally, the yard was used to store vans for Bowaters traffic out of the rather cramped yard at Disley, and occasionally Bowaters would bring product up to Whaley for loading if they were really busy and neither Disley nor New Mills had the space.

Oh, and you can legitimately use a rebuilt Royal Scot to shunt with, post 129 show 46152 making a rather dramatic entry under the road bridge (the picture is also in Foxline's Whaley Bridge to Friden book, tentatively dated ca 1960).

Here's another shot of the goods shed taken IIRC some time in the early 80s.

attachicon.gifHBgoodsShed.JPG

There used to be a small fuel depot at the bottom of the embankment on Dale Road (opposite Crowestones) which I think received deliveries by rail (with the help of gravity) though I might be imagining things there.

There had been a coal yard at Buxton Midland that ended up being consolidated with Higher Buxton, the land became North Western's new bus garage, now an Aldi store.

Coal was a major source of traffic to Buxton, not just for domestic purposes but to the quarries for the kilns and also the town gas works down Ashwood Dale. The loss of that traffic, along with the closure of a lot of the smaller, less efficient quarries were key factors in the decline of the railway in the High Peak. Higher Buxton would make an interesting little shunting yard, as also would Shallcross up at Whaley Bridge (funnily enough, also a small housing development now!)

I wish this pic had been available for the article, a cracking pic depicting this type of wagon in use at Higher Buxton.

• 3 weeks later...

In the April "Traction" magazine -

TRACTION MODELLING

Higher Buxton Goods Depot

Alexander Fisher puts forward a simple project for an interesting diesel era layout.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68783-traction-211/

Gordon

OOPS! Sorry, Thane of Fife; you've already mentioned that!

I thought that this article was a bit inspirational and has given me an idea for a new layout but back dating to the mid '60s where I could run a few end of steam era loco's with some of the newer diesels. I have the name I just need the boards built and the "push" to start!!!

Archived