Woodstowe

David C

• RMweb Gold

Good to see this on here, I really liked the article, you seem to have captured that elusive "atmosphere" of a somewhat sleepy branch line to a "T". I do think the spacious feeling adds to the overall effect.

• RMweb Gold

I don't normally take an interest in the stereotypical GW branchline theme but this is different its not in your face GW but it all blends in and looks very realistic I shall be watching this topic with great interest and of course please keep the pictures coming.

Superb. Your photographs look OK to me, and the whole thing has a naturally sunny feel to it. I like the use of the space - it feels 'uncluttered' - I have a tendancy to want to fill gaps on my layout!

Above all it's the trackwork that really makes this stand out for me.

Les

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just found this by following a thread about GWR yard cranes. What a superb layout, right up my street in lots of ways except maybe the era it's set in. That last photo gives a great sense of the railway serving a community, a very believable scene.

I notice that it is quite a while since you posted anything on this thread. I didn't see the article in RM and wondered if there is any chance you will be posting more about Woodstowe at all? I'm sure that there would be lots of interest.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice to see different pics of this wonderful layout. It has inspired me no end. I have been away from the hobby for some years and now that I am about to retire have been looking for ideas. I would very much like to use the track plan if the owner has no objection.

Unicop (Alan)

Hi Alan:

Thanks for your kind comment about my layout. You're more than welcome to use the track plan of "Woodstowe" - I don't think there's any copyright on such things. Its basically Ashburton with the kickback to Tuckers Maltings reversed, which I think appeared in one of Cyril Freezer's books of plans, although this wasn't my starting point. I simply played about with various elements on the backs of numerous old envelopes until I got what I thought was a reasonably prototypical plan which would also be interesting to operate. Another siding to an end loading dock was added, although its used as a carriage siding more often than not.

If you do use the plan, there are two things I would have done differently if I was starting again. One is to make the baseboard wider and add another siding in the goods yard. The other would be to make the run round loop longer.

All the best for your retirement - I took early retirement last June and have absolutely no regrets at all!

David C

Hi Alan:

Thanks for your kind comment about my layout. You're more than welcome to use the track plan of "Woodstowe" - I don't think there's any copyright on such things. Its basically Ashburton with the kickback to Tuckers Maltings reversed, which I think appeared in one of Cyril Freezer's books of plans, although this wasn't my starting point. I simply played about with various elements on the backs of numerous old envelopes until I got what I thought was a reasonably prototypical plan which would also be interesting to operate. Another siding to an end loading dock was added, although its used as a carriage siding more often than not.

If you do use the plan, there are two things I would have done differently if I was starting again. One is to make the baseboard wider and add another siding in the goods yard. The other would be to make the run round loop longer.

All the best for your retirement - I took early retirement last June and have absolutely no regrets at all!

David C

Thanks David, my version will be N gauge using peco code 55 finescale so should have no problem with lengths etc.

Alan

• 9 months later...

Woodstowe will be appearing at the Brighton Model Railway Club Show this weekend (9 and 10 November) at the Patcham Library and Community Centre, Ladies Mile Rd., Brighton, BN1 8TA. Opening hours are 10.00 - 5.00 on Saturday and 10.00 - 4.30 on Sunday.

David C

It's GWR. It's a BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato). But it's completely different to what my GWR BLT is going to look like! Any more photos?

-- Having spent some time in the USofA., (where BLT. is a bun/sandwich filling.),  it took me some time to realize what BLT. meant in model railways' context!  Doh!

-- :-)

• Like 1

Thanks for all your kind comments, gentlemen. I do have more photos of Woodstowe, but they are all too big to be able to post at the moment.

The Brighton show went very well - lots of compliments from punters plus a couple of exhibition invitations. The catering (for exhibitors) was about the best I've ever had!

At the moment, I've got 2 projects on the go. One is converting one of the Bachmann praires to the unrebuilt version with inside steam pipes, which is proving to be a quick and simple job. The other is building a dia 147 B set using Comet sides and bits and pieces plus old Airfix underframes and Bachmann bogies. This is proving to be a much more complex and time consuming task than I ever anticipated it would be. After that, I am contemplating extending the layout by another 4' to give the trains a bit of countryside they can run through before disappearing into the fiddle yard. That, however, is some way in the future ....

David C

• Like 1

• 4 months later...