I will build a new street diorama.

On this diorama's I will try another approach with the Scalescenes kits.

I have finished my first wall of a background building using this way.

A have added some pictures which will explain the way of working.

Will add some pictures of the finished building in due time.

Any advice is welcome.

Regards,

Job

post-11675-0-22458200-1337787496_thumb.jpg

Picture as reference. Disigning the building using templates from diferent kits (factory, workshopes under arches)

post-11675-0-52688900-1337787619_thumb.jpg

Making two times the front wall. Adding the doors to the second

post-11675-0-72068500-1337787662_thumb.jpg

Adding brick paper to one wall.

post-11675-0-23941600-1337787708_thumb.jpg

Glueing both parts togheter. I then wheatered the building with chalk pastels.

Then I gave it a coat of farnish.

Finaly a cut out the wall.

post-11675-0-73175600-1337787745_thumb.jpg

The final result.

Hi, Job,

This is a good way to fill up the background areas of layouts, you might even consider visiting the free textures sites for photographs of windows and doors, or even whole buildings and chopping them up to give you photographic elements to add to your Scalescenes walls, like these examples below.....

post-106-0-07382800-1338052135_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-32558600-1338052159.jpg

Simply by cutting up brick and flint paper sheets and adding a door and windows from a builders catalogue you can do thid sort of thing...

post-106-0-11643900-1338052248.jpg

or....

post-106-0-80358900-1338052299.jpg

I look forward to seeing some more of your ideas :)

Doug

That is stunning vignette Doug. Scalescenes are very flexible. I've built a few of the kits - even written about them. I'm not happy about the durability of card kits for exhibition layouts so, one idea I have in the back of my mind is to take some of the Scalescenes designs and do them in plastic. I have done this with some Superquck and Metcalfe buildings.

Keep up the great work.

John

I think the problem with exhibitions is the ever changing climate etc.

For an exhibitions layout I would try another adhesive then PRIT- stift glue

I build my models for diorama's at home.

Doug I already have looked around at some of these websites.

For the building above I have not found a proper roof. On the pictures it looks like corrugated iron.

I don't know if you can do that with paper. Even the builders from Pendon use an other material for that one.

Suggestions on this point are welcome

And just a progress picture of the background scene

post-11675-0-15946000-1338115375_thumb.jpg

Hi job

Looking good,as always.

I seen a website once,cant find it, at moment,but if i remember corectlty, the chap was making a corrigated fence from scalescene paper formed corigation by use of a serated wall paper roller i think, looked good though i have not tryed it myself,will see if can find link after on main pc.Tel

For the building above I have not found a proper roof. On the pictures it looks like corrugated iron.

I don't know if you can do that with paper. Even the builders from Pendon use an other material for that one.

Suggestions on this point are welcome

And just a progress picture of the background scene

Hi Job,

I have a cardboard work-round for corrugated, it's a bit too big for metal sheet but suits 1930s wave-form asbestos, will this do?

post-106-0-69378000-1338445299_thumb.jpg

Doug

Thanks Doug.

I like this. Have to look around for this kind of paper.

Thought also of an asphalt paper roof. Found a free ho scale sheet by Clever models: http://www.clevermodels.net/

Look at there freebies and open the files of the Princton Brewery.

They have also a chimney in ho. I think you can use that one in the background. I will give one a try.

I also thought about grey tiles, but all the other roofs will have grey tiles also.

Are there other options for industrial buildings.

Hi again, it's not special paper, it is finely corrugated cardboard from a dishwasher tablet box, brown one side, printed the other. If you damp it, the brown peels off and you are left with fine corrugated stuff. Look around, it's more common than you think. Try computer/camera/electronic shops too, they ship in it.

post-106-0-82442000-1338469365_thumb.jpg

I hope you find some suitable card, its good recycling...

Doug

Found this in a document, but sadly no more pictures...

"

I soaked a piece in cold water for approximately 5 minutes until it began to delaminate, then separated the smooth brown inner layer from the corrugated layer, leaving the corrugated material stuck to the stiffer printed outer card. I let the pieces dry before use, on a piece of glass, covered with a dry tea towel and lightly weighed down with a flat weight to prevent them curling up. "

Doug

Looking good. I use corrugated card from Hobbycraft as we don't have a dishwasher! It is a bit big for corrugated iron sheet but looks ok for asbestoes.

Look forward to seeing the completed scene.

post-7345-0-75272400-1338738801_thumb.jpg

Roger

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Tried some corrugated card from baxes, but found it to much out of scale.

Our dishwasher tablets have an other package.

I think I have found a solution for creating corrugated iron roof.

It will take some time to show you how I have solved the proplem and show you the result of my idea.

Regards,

Job

I had some time off this day. So quicker as I thought.

I made the corrugated iron roof (using dimensions I found on the internet) the following way:

1. I glued mm paper on the roof.

2. I cut 1 mm stripes using mm paper.

3. I glued the 1 mm strapes on the mm paper on the roof with a spacing of 1 mm .

4. Then I glued the metal roofing plates over the prepared roof ( pdf sheet from miniture planet 1:76 scale)

5. Finally I made the currugated roof shape using a paper knife.

I hope you do like the result.

Regards,

Job

post-11675-0-93971600-1338832297_thumb.jpg

post-11675-0-40907800-1338832342_thumb.jpg

Very effective! Congratulations on a very good effect. Do I understand correctly that having pasted the metal sheet paper over the 1mm strips, you then indented the paper around them with the blunt edge of the paper knife?

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back after a while, searching new ways takes its time!

After I had finished the building above, I started to look for a method to create my own wall textures.

On the internet there are a lot of textures available, but a lot was not useful for purpose.

I created the walls by using Publisher from Microsoft.

In the picture my first result.

This has to become a grocery and a closed down shop.

Any comments and suggestions as always are welcome.

Regards,

Job

post-11675-0-29127200-1343895775_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

After asking everyone I know to collect dishwasher tablets in my quest to roof a load of projected builds, disaster! The last two Finish dishwasher tablet boxes have a diferent size corrugations! The earlier ones all had a pitch of about 2.2mm, close to the scale 6" of the prototype, but that last few have been 3.5mm pitch.

I'm sure I can still use it in a few places, but the quest now starts for a brand that uses the smaller size or another source...?

Regards,

Ben

Contemplating a mid seventies BR blue era layout....

Hi all,

I'm sure I can still use it in a few places, but the quest now starts for a brand that uses the smaller size or another source...?

Regards,

Ben

Contemplating a mid seventies BR blue era layout....

Hullo, Ben,

It's a long shot, but the other source of fine corrugated I have recently discovered are the box that a Belkin wireless router came in.... maybe a visit to Dixons??

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chubber - the box may be the best bit of the purchase, I'm afraid I've not had much look with Belkin. This weekend I'm going to have a go at impressing vertical lines into foamboard with spaced washers glued together and threaded onto a thin bolt to see if that looks ok.I'll let you know how I get on.

cheers

Jason

• 2 months later...

Hi Chubber - the box may be the best bit of the purchase, I'm afraid I've not had much look with Belkin. This weekend I'm going to have a go at impressing vertical lines into foamboard with spaced washers glued together and threaded onto a thin bolt to see if that looks ok.I'll let you know how I get on.

cheers

Jason

Did I miss any results posting, Jason?

Doug

• RMweb Gold

Hi Doug, no, I didn't get to it in time as I was up to my ears in woodworking. I'm heading towards the hardware store this week, so I'll pick up some washers. In the meantime, I've found a company in Australia called Brunel Hobbies that does what looks like a press to corrugate kitchen aluminium that people might find interesting:

http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/ironmaker/ironmaker.htm

• RMweb Gold

Well, I tried using the washers and a ruler, and the result was pretty bad. On thin card the setup hardly made an impression at all, and on foam it looked fairly ok, but to be honest there are much easier ways of getting the effect mentioned above. On the other hand, if oyu get the spacing right, this would be a good way of putting tyre tracks into goods yards, muddy roads etc.

Below is my effort on the foam. It's the foam insulation because the thin foamboard I'm using at the moment is resisting being de-laminated. I think the effect would be the same.

Back to the pizza box etc.

cheers

post-14192-0-98075400-1355287583.jpg

Archived