Inglenooking... now known as Bute Street Goods

Nickey Line

• RMweb Gold

Ok, so where to start? I've been messing about for ages, armchair modelling, building Parkside kits, modifying coaches, chipping locos etc. etc., but apart from a circle of track on the floor (for running in purposes you understand!) I've not had anywhere to actually run trains.

It really was about time I did something about this. Time is limited due to work, chores, cycling, football... you get the idea, so instead of attempting to build one of the grand plans we all have I've finally decided to start small, and build myself an Inglenook.

Apart from being something I can actually run trains on, it will also be a test-bed for ideas and methods I want to try; the plan itself is in Templot, and the turnouts will be built using a mix of C&L and Exactoscale parts, to DOGA fine standard, using SMP for the plain track.

The turnouts will be operated using memory wire, and the P4Me-style couplings will be operated by (hopefully!) home-made electro-magnets.

More, with photos, to follow shortly...

• RMweb Gold

The following photos represent approx. 3 months of progress.

As I said, I don't have much modelling time...!

The board is a MDF stair tread which just happened to be lying around.

I have another one which could be utilized for a fiddle yard at some stage.

post-343-12611532675578_thumb.jpg

This pic shows the board with the final Templot design taped down.

It's my first complete design in Templot and I'll admit is far from perfect, but it's good enough.

post-343-12611532905235_thumb.jpg

Timbers and sleepers laid. The rest of the plain track will be SMP.

post-343-12611533122363_thumb.jpg

post-343-12611533316557_thumb.jpg

Couple of pics showing progress on the turnouts.

With a bit of luck I should have time over Christmas to complete the board, which needs the usual 2x1 bracing, which will allow room for the wiring, point actuators etc.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, ta!

The stock I plan to use will be varied as it's intended to be largely a test piece, but in inglenook mode I'll be using either a Jinty or an 08, plus a variety of Parkside four wheel wagons. The long siding will take an extra wagon, so the idea is to park a brake van at the end.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I've managed some progress over Christmas, plus some minor set-backs...

added the framing to the board and then decided to try expanded polystyrene sheet as an underlay, for no better reason that I happened to have some.

Not a good idea. First it does nothing deaden the sound, and second, because I stuck it down with Copydex (another mistake), when I tried to put a screw through the top, the Copydex wound itself round the screw and tore up a strip of polystyrene! Was tempted to tear it all off but I decided to persevere, so the turnout assembly is laid and I'm now working on the TOUs (as alluded to in a thread by Pinkmouse - PM's TOU thread).

Here you can see the nasty mess made by the Copydex/polystyrene/screw fiasco...

post-343-12627908015781_thumb.jpg

...and here's my lash-up of a memory wire turnout motor.

post-343-12627908876122_thumb.jpg

Having seen Pinkmouse's excellent solution I will probably re-do this at some stage, but it will do for now. It does work...

Having seen Pinkmouse's excellent solution I will probably re-do this at some stage, but it will do for now. It does work...

I've seen a lot worse! :)

You could quite easily modify my design by making the slider a bit longer so you could drive each switch rail individually as you did with yours. That's probably a better solution anyway, but I was short of room under my boards.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've seen a lot worse! :)

You could quite easily modify my design by making the slider a bit longer so you could drive each switch rail individually as you did with yours. That's probably a better solution anyway, but I was short of room under my boards.

Seen worse? Doubtful! But in spite of this topic rapidly slipping off the radar I've continued to make progress; will add some pics later (I'm currently at work, shh!).

I've now completed the trackwork and wiring, and can actually run an engine up and down... and I've started working on new turnout operating units along the lines of Pinkmouse's excellent design. Using the same Evergreen sections I found that although advertised as being telescoping, I had to sand the smaller one down a fair bit to get it to slide freely. The first one I completed was not long enough (I didn't allow for the slack between the droppers from the switches and the operating tubes), so I'm working on Mk.II which will be approx. 40% longer. Mk.I won't be wasted as I can probably adapt it to operate a signal or something.

• RMweb Gold
Timbers and sleepers laid. The rest of the plain track will be SMP.

Given the high standard you have constructed your points to have you not thought of going for either C&L or Exactoscale plain track or bases I've use SMP and regretted it its not as good as the new stuff... but of course if you've already bought it?

• RMweb Gold

Given the high standard you have constructed your points to have you not thought of going for either C&L or Exactoscale plain track or bases I've use SMP and regretted it its not as good as the new stuff... but of course if you've already bought it?

Well yes I do already have SMP track Russ, is it really that bad? I've not got any other make to compare it to.

I'm sure it'll look just fine once painted anyway...

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned a couple of posts ago, I decided to adapt Pinkmouse's TOU design to replace my original 'effort', so here's a pic of Mk1...

post-343-12654692292857_thumb.jpg

This is slightly too short so the MkIIs I've installed are about 40% longer, but stll only 70mm or so.

Here's one installed...

post-343-12654709874686_thumb.jpg

They work beautifully! Thanks Pinkmouse.

Finally, here's a pic of the finished trackwork...

post-343-12654710453272_thumb.jpg

The board is temporarily fitted with pieces of plastic to stop things falling off the ends...

Next job, paint and ballast, then start thinking about scenics. Oops! Almost forgot, need to build the uncoupler as well.

This will be fitted just in front of the first turnout. I'll only need the one as I'll be using delayed uncoupling.

• RMweb Gold

Well yes I do already have SMP track Russ, is it really that bad? I've not got any other make to compare it to.

I'm sure it'll look just fine once painted anyway...

No it isnt that bad! has of course the correct section rail and sleeper size/distance- its just the newer stuffs a lot better! things like C&L, exactoscale etc have much better representation of the chairs, like on your points.

SMP is cheaper, more easily avialable (round here) and of course if you've already got some its a no-brainer!

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally got round to updating this thread!

Progress is being made albeit slowly, as working full-time and other commitments doesn't leave a lot of time, as many of us on here are only too well aware..

Anyway, progress that's been made includes electromagnets for uncoupling, so the layout is at least fully operational, and the trackwork has been sprayed with grey primer... and apart from some side projects no major works have been carried out. I have some time off over Easter/Royal wedding so hopefully I'll find time then, though there's the garden, visiting parents, cycling, football etc. etc.... perhaps I should also point out that the layout works so well I've often spent time operating (playing) when I could have been working on it!

Anyway, just to keep up the interest here's some pics of the side projects. Aren't close-ups cruel?

First up is the brake van I'm using, a modified Dapol (ex Airfix) which I've finally completed...

post-343-0-13402400-1301322420_thumb.jpg

...next the signal which will control the exit...

post-343-0-64751100-1301322568_thumb.jpg

...and a couple of ground signals.

post-343-0-68412900-1301322615_thumb.jpg

The brake van is additional to the eight wagons used in the Inglenook puzzle, as there's room on the longest road to park it at the end.

The signals are all from MSE parts; of course I've since discovered that much better ladders are available than the one I've used (i.e. not a flat etch), but I guess I can always replace it later...

The plan is to site a bridge at the exit (surprise!) hence the sighting board on the home signal. There will be a further single ground signal and a stack of three, assuming I can get them to work.

I aim to purchase a Modratec kit to operate the signals, points and possibly the uncouplers in the not to distant future, at the moment the points and uncouplers are operated from a (very) small control panel.

That's it for now; hopefully there will be further updates a (little) bit more frequently... watch this space?

Looking good Adrian!

Your trackwork looks very neat

I'd be interested to see how you get on with making the signal operational

Are you going to do the same for the ground signals,

or will they be purely cosmetic?

Don't fret about there not being too much progress.....

there are plenty of other distractions in life -

just be glad that there is SOME progress!

Cheers,

keep us posted

Marc

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Again it's been ages since my last post, but as I've made some progress over the Christmas break I thought I'd better report...

The layout is now framed with mdf which will form the basis of the backdrop. I've also finally decided on a name, arrived at recently when viewing some dvds of the Midland Region at Luton Bute Street. I realised that the immense goods warehouse that was such a feature of this station would make a perfect backdrop, and so the layout will become Bute Street Goods.

While clearly not a model of the prototype, (it's only an inglenook after all!) I am hoping it will at least convey some of the appearance of the original...

post-343-0-63090700-1325624967_thumb.jpg

The model of the warehouse will eventually be approx. 1 metre long, with a mirror helping to represent the remainder...

post-343-0-26518100-1325625431_thumb.jpg

There will be another module at each end when it's finished.

I should be able to make more progress over the next 2 or 3 months, that is until the weather starts to improve...!

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested to see how you get on with making the signal operational

Are you going to do the same for the ground signals,

or will they be purely cosmetic?

Hi Marc, thanks for the interest! Hopefully all the signals will be operational, but the stacked ground signals will be a challenge...

I'm not sure at this stage how they will be operated - a choice of memory wire, servo or WIT, all capable of being implemented using the Modratec lever frame (not purchased yet!)

I should be able to make more progress on the layout over the next few days as I have a couple of extra days off work.

Shall be visiting St. Albans expo at the weekend tho...

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Work on the warehouse goes on apace... well as 'apace' as it gets for me anyway. The two extra modules mentioned have been added and roof is now tiled...

post-343-0-57021800-1327610116_thumb.jpg

Guttering, downpipes and the loading bay door are still to be added, some bits on order from Eileens...

post-343-0-62529100-1327610350_thumb.jpg

The downpipes on the prototype are slightly odd in that they seem to disappear into the building about 10 ft from the ground (see here, from the disused stations site).

I assume they run in a channel in the wall to the ground; can anyone confirm? Just from interest really, I shall probably model them straight. This was never intended as a faithful reproduction (it's not tall enough anyway) but I have an idea for the future which may involve a more accurate version...

Sorry about the quality (or lack of!) of the pictures; they were taken at night by flash on a older digital camera that's a bit short on the pixel front.

• RMweb Gold

...just needs a guard leaning out the back :pardon:

Yes, maybe in due course, so many jobs, so little time! Thanks for the interest... made a start on the guttering today as bits have arrived from Eileens, but not enough progess to show for pics yet, maybe later in the week...

• RMweb Gold

Looking stunning now- the warehouse is superb. The mirror effect looks to work well too, you have to be careful with the mirror approach but I think it suits well.

myself I would say regardless of the prototype put the drainpipes all the way down to ground level as I think most people would notice the joins in the building more rather than the 'unprototypical' downpipes?

• RMweb Gold

Looking stunning now- the warehouse is superb.

Wow! Praise indeed! Thanks Russ... good luck with your new venture by the way, I shall be following progress.

The mirror effect looks to work well too, you have to be careful with the mirror approach but I think it suits well.

The idea is that the mirror (a slightly taller one) will represent the unmodelled portion of the warehouse... there'll be some sort of view block at the front right hand end to disguise it.

myself I would say regardless of the prototype put the drainpipes all the way down to ground level as I think most people would notice the joins in the building more rather than the 'unprototypical' downpipes?

I'm inclined to agree!

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Again it's been a considerable time since the last update, largely due to difficulties at work that have now been resolved - I've been made redundant! Before anyone 'commiserates' with me I should point out that this is a welcome development, and with luck and in spite of my relative youth (54!) I should not have to work again for the foreseeable future. Lucky me!

This of course will mean I shall have much more time for modelling, depending on the weather (I'd sooner be outside) and other commitments (far fewer than before!)

In my last few posts there was much discussion of down pipes, and this has been the main area of progress since then...

Overall view

post-343-0-10837600-1338991747_thumb.jpg

Close-up of the more 'interesting' section(!)

post-343-0-42146600-1338991824_thumb.jpg

As yet unpainted, but this will be dealt with soonish.

I've recently purchased some LED strips meant for downlighting under kitchen units which I intend to use for lighting the layout; this will be the next major job.

• 1 month later...

Hi Adrian,

I have finally got round to checking your thread, very impressed.

I do like the mirror idea, it works well, and it is an impressive

wharehouse even without the mirror!

See you soon,

Jeff

Archived