Cornwall was great thanks Steve - we even managed a day trip to Brighton...but couldn't call on you for a cuppa as we had the 2 kids and my wife was lovin' the therapautic retail experience it had to offer ;)

Must say, it has changed a lot since I worked there (1983-1988ish) and I really enjoyed it to visit it again.

Rather nice lunch at Carluccio's was tiptoptastic :D

No worries. Carluccio's is nice, we've been there a few times. Our current favourite is Alfresco's on the beach. Great views plus the best ice cream I've ever tasted! If you make it down again I'll treat you!

That is a very neat idea and follows the folding rule mechanism exactly. The only problem I have with it at the moment is my confined loft hatch, which is 2' x 1.5'. Love the idea that a layout could fold up into a cube though!

Cure for the hatch problen - the side-folding hinge has a removable, pull-out pin - this allows the layout to be folded "up-and-over" into 2 separate sections - to fit through the hatch - and then, by replacing the pin, connected as a cube for transport/storage when not in the loft - lateral thinking ( mental bodging ) sometimes provides a cure

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in the great tradition of this hobby (and most other things I'm associated with!) the boundaries have changed.

While sorting bits and bobs in our new loft, I discovered an old pine single bedframe. At the time I was cursing it, having to move it from one side of the loft to the other, but then I stopped. With sweat dripping down my face, the cogs started to whirr. "I could use that", I thought.

After the premature destruction of my foamboard baseboard this 'freebie' seemed too much to resist. I set about making a plan. This bedframe is the sort that has slats across the width. If I were to utilise those slats to make a baseboard frame I could get myself a head start over the folding baseboard plan. So I did.

Each slat is 93cm long by 7cm wide. This would be plenty long enough for the rails. I could then cut the slats in half for the ends, making a 93x46x7 frame. Three of these would be ample for a shunting layout, almost 3 times the size I had previously planned for.

This is what I ended up with after two evenings in the loft. It's not joined together yet but I've laid it out so I could get an idea of what I was dealing with. I still have to brace it, but luckily there are some 2x1" batons up there too.

post-11337-0-08599000-1346533749_thumb.jpg

One board can be used as a fiddle yard (with 2 or 3 lane traverser) with two full boards for a new layout. That's where I'm up to at the moment. I just need to figure out a good operational track plan using only 3 turnouts (2x Ys and a RH) to shunt some wagons around. I could even have two different traversers to make up for the lack of turnouts?

Ideas welcome!

What a useful discovery!

I just need to figure out a good operational track plan using only 3 turnouts (2x Ys and a RH) to shunt some wagons around. I could even have two different traversers to make up for the lack of turnouts?

Ideas welcome!

May I refer you to my post of the 12th July on the last page? :mosking:

The inglenook with kick-back that can form a loop using the fiddle yard gives a lot of operational interest. Having said that, given the extra space (it looks a lot to me, but I suppose it isn't for O gauge) what about an extra point if it gives more interest?

May I refer you to my post of the 12th July on the last page? :mosking:

You may indeed, and I have been playing with that for a couple days. Orienting the plan to squeeze it all in has been the problem, while including the kickback to return to the fiddle yard. The best I've come up with is below:

post-11337-0-28549200-1346545175_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I'm presented with a few problems, the most important of which is not being able to fit in a 5 wagon train onto my traverser! I've yet to take accurate measurements so I'll do this tomorrow. I quite like it though, thanks!

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Steve

Great bit of lateral thinking whilst in your loftspace - "a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it" :D

Like the new plan and even though you have more space I would be tempted not to cram it as after all, its still a Micro 0 layout.

How about a conveniently placed building/warehouse to help increase FY space? Or perhaps its only 4 wagons?...

Hmm, I see the challenge - using existing points, and in O it is quite a narrow space!

However I did some doodling in the sermon this morning, so three more ideas are attached below. You might have tried them already. The first gives most scenic potential, and includes a spur in front of the fiddle yard. The second incorporates an inglenook so is perhaps best from an operational potential, I've shown the kick-back forming a loop with the fiddle yard. The third is an interesting track plan, but probably a pain to shunt... All of these allow for running around a short train, and could have a basic platform for passengers if you like - as an internal works train, hospital railway, or similar.

The second doodle is a solution to the fiddle yard problem. If you make a sector plate to the length you want it could be bolted in place, the bolt forming the pivot. The sketch shows how a lip under the front would make it more secure. Another approach would be a fold out flap, making space for cassettes.

I'd suggest a length of wall lining paper to do a full size plan, moving your points around and placing stock on to get the clearances right. You can mock up the buildings with cereal packets too. For a layout in a tight space I think this is the best way to make sure it will all work, visually and practically.

post-3337-0-10839600-1346587406.jpg

post-3337-0-73049500-1346587407.jpg

Nice one Steve

Great bit of lateral thinking whilst in your loftspace - "a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it" :D

Like the new plan and even though you have more space I would be tempted not to cram it as after all, its still a Micro 0 layout.

How about a conveniently placed building/warehouse to help increase FY space? Or perhaps its only 4 wagons?...

Love those series. Got them all on DVD and still brush the dust off once in a while. They don't make 'em like they used to!

I'm not too worried about the trackwork/scenery ratio for this layout, it's just a get-me-going layout until I build Westerfield. I'll probably end up donating this to the littleman once I'm up and running with my 'proper' build.

Your suggestion of 4/3/3 got me thinking. That's certainly doable. I would still have 5040 ways of organising the wagons, making 840 possible trains of 4 wagons + loco. That's plenty for playing around in the loft. This is providing I can't actually fit 6 units on my sector plate, which I'll measure out tomorrow night...

Don't worry Steve, Fourgig East will only be 4 wagons and a brake van, or 2 x two wheeled coaches - the traverser is only 25" but there is a futher 13" run off/storage for the locos

Just got a refresher of your Fourgig blog as I have seen it for a while. It's coming along nicely! I remember it was just a few plans and a couple buildings last time I checked in. Very similar space constraints. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

By the way, I've got myself a Sentinel! I haven't received it yet and I'm probably putting a jinx on it by blabbing about it already. It needs a bit of tweeking and TLC but I'm excited I've got one at last!

post-11337-0-74802000-1346631413_thumb.jpg

However I did some doodling in the sermon this morning...

I hope you weren't taking it!

Thanks for the scribbles, uncannily I have already looked at plans 2 and 3 but without the sector plate. Interesting. I almost settled for number 2, then thought of a couple 2-pronged forks then decided I may as well try an Inglenook so I can actually have something definite and challenging to 'do' while I'm up there. I do quite like that sector plate idea so I'll scratch my head for a little bit more while I'm cutting wood for the board braces.

I'm actually secretly pleased that I've got all my turnouts on one board. I don't know why I'm so pleased but I'm clinging on to my pride before I realise why it's not a good idea!

Not sure I follow you, but 2 is an inglenook, if you ignore the kick-back/loop. I think that is the easiest and most interesting to operate. The others may be more challenging, but perhaps more frustrating!

The points on one board makes sense if you plan manual control as you can arrange a lever frame. Otherwise it makes little difference, except perhaps 2 or 3 more wires to cross the board joint!

• RMweb Gold

Just got a refresher of your Fourgig blog as I have seen it for a while. It's coming along nicely! I remember it was just a few plans and a couple buildings last time I checked in. Very similar space constraints. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

By the way, I've got myself a Sentinel! I haven't received it yet and I'm probably putting a jinx on it by blabbing about it already. It needs a bit of tweeking and TLC but I'm excited I've got one at last!

Cheers, looks like a Meteor one to me, those axlebox and sandbox castings look very familiar :)

post-11337-0-62292300-1346688531_thumb.jpg

Slightly updated plan attached. I've lengthened a couple of the sidings to drag it away from an obvious Inglenook, but will make those extra lengths out of bounds while 'Inglenooking'.

On the left there's a loading/unloading shed of some description, along with an office or store. To block off the top siding from being used I'll place an old rusting wagon or a tanker there. On the right I've placed an engine shed or shelter while a factory with a wagon filling contraption hides the traverser.

I'm quite happy with this, and for a loco plus 7 wagons it'll provide me with hours of chore-free fun!

Ooh nice - a colour plan! :)

It works well with the wagons marked on, and it is good to have all the shunting on view. One suggestion - on the left, how about having the middle siding go into a shed (perhaps with door closed so you can't shunt into it!), and the rear (bottom) siding "disappearing" behind it - suggesting it might be a line on to another part of the works? It would be a more logical place to make up the train then, and at a push would allow a second loco to bring a train "on-stage" to be shunted.

P.S. Like your new toy :good:

Trying to find the time to do anything on this is like trying to find a consistant England footy team.

I did manage to get to Homebase today to pick up some screws and a couple days ago managed to whip out the jigsaw to cut my corner braces. Next job is to drill the screw holes and put it all together.

post-11337-0-84229200-1347408726_thumb.jpg

I've got a plan for the traverser which I'll wait until later to reveal. I also toyed with the idea of basing the layout on a cattle market - the idea being you have to sort a train of cattle wagons for the abattoir. A touch too grim, perhaps?

Guest Jim Read

Hello,

I hope you don't mind me saying this, you will need some diagonals to brace those frames, please stand them on end and twist them, this will give you an indication of how much they will warp.

Regards - Jim

Hello,

I hope you don't mind me saying this, you will need some diagonals to brace those frames, please stand them on end and twist them, this will give you an indication of how much they will warp.

Regards - Jim

Hello Jim, I don't mind at all. The frames are very thick (20mm) and reasonably tall (70mm) so there's a lot of torsional strength there already. I've made some corner braces from 15mm thick softwood which will help reduce or eliminate any skewing of the 90 degree corners. All of this will be glued and screwed together.

In addition, both the middle section and the fiddle section will have plenty of internal bracing to support point motors and the traverser, and there'll be a topping of ply screwed onto the frame so I'm not overly worried about movement just yet. But who knows! Once I build up what I have I'll have a better idea.

Steve

Hi Steve,

It's a shame your other baseboard got trashed,

but I do like the look of your latest plan :)

It looks like it'll be interesting to operate

And though you didn't really have any "scenic" plans for the layout,

I can really see some nice warehouses & industrial buildings in there....

and a tight, cramped location with chutes & overhead pipes etc..... drool

I'll be watching with interest....

PS. I also like the sentinel

Cheers

Marc

Hi Steve,

It's a shame your other baseboard got trashed,

but I do like the look of your latest plan :)

It looks like it'll be interesting to operate

And though you didn't really have any "scenic" plans for the layout,

I can really see some nice warehouses & industrial buildings in there....

and a tight, cramped location with chutes & overhead pipes etc..... drool

I'll be watching with interest....

PS. I also like the sentinel

Cheers

Marc

Thanks Marc, as a great admirer of your layouts I'm honoured to have you 'on board'!

The plan is a light industrial setting with track ballasted by whatever was laying around, mixed in with a bit of cobbling or maybe brick. Loading, unloading and storing goods wagons (yet to be decided...) I've got a lovely 02 shunter that will operate the layout but I've yet to decide on other stock.

As you can tell by my avatar pic I adore Sentinels so I'm completely made up that I'm about to get one!

• RMweb Gold

I also toyed with the idea of basing the layout on a cattle market - the idea being you have to sort a train of cattle wagons for the abattoir.

Perhaps a layout name change to Runt-O-Rama then :D

Nice work Steve...I do like the new plan....

Archived