Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Andy.  That's a really generous and confidence boosting comment.

I've not done the inside of the wagon yet.  I was thinking it might come and take some scrap metal away from the motor works as it has found its way down this end of the country - perhaps via Banbury.  I remember Dad brought home some filings of different metals from the AEC for me which I took into school, suitably mounted, to show my seven year olds but how the factory disposed of their scrap I have no idea.  Back then, I never thought to ask.   :dontknow:

Two of the five china clay wagons still to do today.  With all that effort, I think some of them had better find their way down to the Thames via my branchline.  :yes: :yes:

Polly

Edited by southern42

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello, all.

With last weekend's exhibition with Camel Quay over, thoughts have turned back to GWRd.  So, the plan for the next few weeks is to get a few bits of stock out to run on Camel Quay for some trials.  Exactly how much space will various combinations need?  Will they cope with a three way point and double slip?  How long will the terminal headshunts need to be and what limitations on stock used will I need to impose? AND....what will reconstructions of train/loco movements look like on what is, essentially, a short stretch of track?

Today, as we had some goodish weather, we went out shopping. Then we went to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch    :O  :O  :O   for a browse round Pringles which was recently re-opened after fire damage a few months ago but I couldn't resist the DVD Old Oak Common & the Great Western and watched it this evening.

If you don't know this one, it begins with 3440 City of Truro, 5029 Nunney Castle, 6024 King Edward I, 6998 Burton Agnes Hall and 71000 Duke of Gloucester arriving from Didcot under cover of darkness in 1991 followed by turns on the turntable for Old Oak's open day.  For diesel fans among you, take your pick from: 08, 31, 35, 37, 42, 47, 50, 52, 55 and 56.

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie,

We had a terrific weekend, thanks.  Ray will post on Camel Quay as we get confirmation of future shows.

I've been pondering over a mascot for GWRd, initially, thinking TARDIS....10th Doctor.....Dalek.... :scare: :scare: :scare: :scare: :scare:  (Who doesn't - judging from other layouts?)

OK....DON'T PANIC...  :no: :no: :no: :no:

I, finally, sent off for Isambard Kingdom Brunel to keep an eye on his branch line - just waiting for him to turn up.

Polly

• Like 2

Evening Polly, good to see GWR back on page 1 where it belongs, A few weeks ago we were discussing the possibility of seeing some track going down in 2014, is that still on the agenda?

Glad you and Ray had a good day in that place, (bet you had to look at the map for the spelling, mind you if it was wrong I wouldn't know).

Its been really nice weather down here and I;m just hoping it holds for at least another week or so.

I still NEED to see CQ at a Show this year.

All the best to you both.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

We had "A yard of Welsh" (folded up to the size of a small pack of cards) at home when I was a kid - a souvenir of the place name from somebody or other who went there.

I hope to get some track down, if only to experiment with different arrangements to find out the best way to imitate prototypical movement.

There's some lovely engine shoving going on in this video, for example, 1 minute 10 seconds in.

CQ will be heading across the border this year and next if all goes well.

Polly

• Like 5

Hi Polly

Great YouTube clip, Yes sad to see those steam locos being shunted, in the sense they are no longer here...

look forward to seeing photos of the track laying, a visual on what's to come...

Hope you are both keeping well

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

A sad thing in the Paddington-Southall video is seeing the 4-6-0 (Manor?) in operation with nameplate removed.

A good video for learning how to differentiate the classes when even the numbers are difficult to see.

Some help was sought here: http://www.gwr.org.uk/no460s.html

It was interesting looking at some of the other videos in the grid at the end.  I was fascinated at the range of traffic, lineside stuff and smog [Cough. Cough. Wheeeeeezzzzzzze] atmosphere on Paddinton early 1960s.  There's also an "I-want-one" thingy  :yes:  making an appearance.  

:no: :no:  :no: :no:  

But it's the all-bl00ue one....

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Swap you for the Pendolino, then? :mosking:

Oh! Enough fun and nonsense (and cuppa) - now for the video.

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mr Brunel arrived today and agreed to have his photo taken.

post-14049-0-87000900-1394576676.jpg

I just need to give him a couple of waistcoat buttons, pocket watch chain and cigar to complete the image and, maybe, take down the shine on those shoes a little.  :D

See here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/IKBrunelChains.jpg

Polly

Figure from Mike Pett

http://modelrailwayfigures00.co.uk/

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

Mr WHO? Oh yes I should know, the first thing I saw when I was born was that Dammed great bridge of his linking Cornwall to England and the rest of the World.

Apparently the view from Mum and Dads bedroom window was across the Royal Albert Bridge over the Tamar to Saltash and beyond.

I should really model the GWR I suppose, maybe next time.

And :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mr WHO? Oh yes I should know, the first thing I saw when I was born was that Dammed great bridge of his linking Cornwall to England and the rest of the World.

Apparently the view from Mum and Dads bedroom window was across the Royal Albert Bridge over the Tamar to Saltash and beyond.

I should really model the GWR I suppose, maybe next time.

And :sungum:

Like I should be modelling the little trains of Wales?  :mosking:   :no: :no:

Polly

• RMweb Premium

We went to the Merseyside Hobbies and Model Railway Show, yesterday and.....

:secret: ...I got me a BR BLUE loco.  :swoon:

:yes:  Oh, yes!

post-14049-0-64397200-1394968723.jpg

All legit.  It's the donor for FRED.  See my post #413 and this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60628514@N02/9701279947/sizes/o/

A few things to do: replace that BR logo with FRED nameplate, spot other detail differences and modify if possible/need be.  Add a touch of weathering and a driver / maintenance crew.

The one thing that does stand out is the clash of the blues - Fred's Riviera blue alongside the LNER blue of Bittern's water tank.

Almost complete on intended rolling stock now for 2011 running - a few brake vans and support coaches to sort. I'll be able to sort out some running sequences soon and check against (hoped for) track plan.  After Easter looks a good time to get started.

There are still a number of items I haven't been able to get for 1961 running and I've still to find out heaps more on this score, so I'll have to be a bit more patient where that is concerned, but I'll update on here as usual.

Quick brew now after all that.

Enjoy your day.

Polly

• Like 3

We went to the Merseyside Hobbies and Model Railway Show, yesterday and.....

:secret: ...I got me a BR BLUE loco.  :swoon:

:yes:  Oh, yes!

attachicon.gifIMG_0930 Fred-to-be.JPG

All legit.  It's the donor for FRED.  See my post #413 and this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60628514@N02/9701279947/sizes/o/

A few things to do: replace that BR logo with FRED nameplate, spot other detail differences and modify if possible/need be.  Add a touch of weathering and a driver / maintenance crew.

The one thing that does stand out is the clash of the blues - Fred's Riviera blue alongside the LNER blue of Bittern's water tank.

Almost complete on intended rolling stock now for 2011 running - a few brake vans and support coaches to sort. I'll be able to sort out some running sequences soon and check against (hoped for) track plan.  After Easter looks a good time to get started.

There are still a number of items I haven't been able to get for 1961 running and I've still to find out heaps more on this score, so I'll have to be a bit more patient where that is concerned, but I'll update on here as usual.

Quick brew now after all that.

Enjoy your day.

Polly

When In read the Line about Fred, I thought you'd bought a Ray substitute in London, hahha

Are you sound fitting it?

Re the track, I thought that that was something you may have forgotten about and wasn't going to bother with on Going Without Rails. :no: :no: :no: :no: hahhaha

And, :sungum: still spitting feathers :triniti: :triniti:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

It would be nice to have everything sound fitted but I expect it will be a select few - so it could be some 'big name' ones, 'important' ones, those likely to spend a fair amount of time running around the layout, ones which come with sound in the first place or something which just sounds good - and 08s do sound good. 
in other words, Good Working Runners.  :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Polly

• RMweb Premium

and Roll-a-long.

Fred is in the first picture in this really useful/informative 2012 set of Southall stock in Eliot Andersen's Railway Gallery.

http://cumbria.smugmug.com/keyword/southall/1388041398_nP9RNPp#!i=1388041398&k=nP9RNPp

Keep rolling along, Andy.

Polly

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A grand day out, yesterday, at GWR Heaven, Didcot. Some Once in a Blue Moon delights with stars from the East in the videos below.

(Filmed by Ray & Polly on 2 iPhones, Panasonic G10 DSLR and edited with iMovie on an iPad)

Pics around and about to follow.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Once in a Blue Moon - a tour round the Milky Way

Loco classes and rolling stock likely to appear on GWRd.

post-14049-0-17915400-1396818118.jpg

post-14049-0-71727700-1396818185.jpg

post-14049-0-12199200-1396818455.jpg

Burton Agnes Hall, Southall shed allocation 1965

post-14049-0-57469300-1396818431.jpg

Southall 1965

post-14049-0-36108100-1396819075.jpg

7202 made an appearance at Southall as early as 1937

post-14049-0-01162900-1396818575.jpg

Looking for GWR and blood and custard passenger railcars

post-14049-0-43900900-1396818747.jpg

On GWRd, Tornado, with it's support coach behind, will be triple heading with Dominion of New Zealand and Britannia like this:

post-14049-0-15407100-1396820940.jpg

post-14049-0-90845800-1396819177.jpg

Hearing these flying past GWRd off scene is just one of my (silly?) ideas but posted here to complement the Blue scene.  Now had I been on the ball, I would have had it all worked out to include all three blue locos in shot though I could have hung around for the next one. Nah!. Not with all the things I wanted to see.

Many thanks to the Didcot team.  Brilliant day.  And hope I didn't get in anyone's way and spoil your picture - it just seemed inevitable at times, that sort of day.

Polly

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Some we prepared earlier, Kev. :mosking:

post-14049-0-73689200-1396826225.jpg

post-14049-0-48711300-1396825785.jpg

post-14049-0-93066000-1396826092.jpg

What did interest me about the tubs was the two with cornered sides - the one pictured middle and its mirrored counterpart in the far corner in the bottom pic.  Another thing that intrigued me was the circular bit at the bottom of the "gates" (don't know what all these parts are called). Did it have a functional purpose or was it purely for strength?

All these interesting things to think about modelling. :O

I'm assuming Southall (and Old Oak?) used a similar practice.

post-14049-0-52692600-1396826962.jpg

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 7

Hi Polly and Ray, some great shots there and getting all the Blues together was good.

I haven't been to Didcot for a few years now as I would go there by Train from Eastleigh for some spotting when I lived down that way, or call in if I was passing in the Car whilst traveling down for meetings from here to Portsmouth.

Looks like GWR will have some tasty stock and lots of ideas from your trip over the weekend.

Did you call into Pendon as its only about a Mile from Didcot and is a MUST for any GWR fan?

Bodge :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P