Great West Road - transfers & I’m not talking football!

southern42

• RMweb Premium

Happy 4th Day of Christmas and hope you all enjoyed/are enjoying the festive break.

Tomorrow - fingers crossed :D - will be the Grand Opening of my Christmas train set boxes containing loco and two bits of rolling stock so that I can have a proper look at them and do a photo shoot.

As we're still in the Christmas season, here's a little quiz.

The first looks a little worn down, weather'd, but, without doubt, is no white dwarf nor Walt Disney (mickey mouse) and after a long working day in the Western Division it looks just about ready to be withdrawn but, all the same, it's just Wick'D.

The second might be named Jaws and the third will play a supporting role to a ruling celebrity.

Polly

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy and Castle,
Hopefully, 2014 will be a great year for get-togethers.
Ray and I will have to make it one of our New Year's resolutions - the sort that's not too difficult to keep.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Polly

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Happy 4th Day of Christmas and hope you all enjoyed/are enjoying the festive break.

Tomorrow - fingers crossed :D - will be the Grand Opening of my Christmas train set boxes containing loco and two bits of rolling stock so that I can have a proper look at them and do a photo shoot.

As we're still in the Christmas season, here's a little quiz.

The first looks a little worn down, weather'd, but, without doubt, is no white dwarf nor Walt Disney (mickey mouse) and after a long working day in the Western Division it looks just about ready to be withdrawn but, all the same, it's just Wick'D.

The second might be named Jaws and the third will play a supporting role to a ruling celebrity.

Polly

Polly,

The first is a West Country Class?

The second, not sure but a truck of some sort,

and the third is a tender to a King, or a spport coach.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Polly,

The first is a West Country Class?

The second, not sure but a truck of some sort,

and the third is a tender to a King, or a spport coach.

Chris.  Not a WC, not a tender and nothing to do with a king.

But you are spot on with a support coach.

JeffP has got the Shark.

Polly

Edit - add "do"

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

Chris.  Not a WC, not a tender and nothing to with a king.

But you are spot on with a support coach.

JeffP has got the Shark.

Polly

Polly,

Must be a Well Tank then?  I am not sure then how the name fits in.  Also, that would be fine for Camel Quay but Southall?  Umm.

It might be a W class tank, which would fit but it must be a built kit although I have no idea who makes one.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris.

It isn't a BWT.  Neither is it a Tank.

Maybe read the clue again.

Polly

Polly,

Wick'D, ok, is it a WD 8F?

Edit, cross posted.  I thought of it myself -honest!  :yes:

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Premium

The day began with a ride on the 11:00 Mince Pie Special at Llangollen.

post-14049-0-96008000-1388357044.jpg

Then the Grand Opening of the boxes, photo shoot and downloading of photos.

The lighting wasn't brilliant so just a few for now.

post-14049-0-61248800-1388357094.jpg

post-14049-0-91060600-1388357113.jpg

post-14049-0-22631200-1388357142.jpg

Polly

• Like 8

Hi both, I trust you had a very good Christmas and by the look of the Loco and very nice pressy as well. I want to get a sound unit for mine, they are so nice and if yous runs half as good as mine you'll be more than pleased with it.

All the best for 2014 and beyond.

Andy :sungum:

Sound, eh?

More expense, then. :mosking:

Joking aside, whose sound file/decoder did you use for the WD, Andy?

Polly

Not done mine yet it next on the list, but check out Locolines of Essex on You Tube, I have their 3F, 4F and Super D, really good, I can let you have the phone No if you need it.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Of all the loco's I'd seen at 81c nearly every GWR and Standard typebut I can't ever recall seeing a WD jobbie on shed the odd one now and then went clanking through the station on an empties freight train suppose they were embarrassed by it's ugliness and put it in the dark corner where the Shedmaster office was and where we didn't dare go. :O

It seems there were quite a few WD/8s at Southall.  I've listed those that were there in 1961.  It's interesting that the one sent to Didcot returned a few months later!

WD/8 Arrive Depart Next depot

90174  30/06/1952  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

90355  16/06/1956  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

90630  16/06/1956  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

90356  25/01/1958  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

90466  21/02/1959  25/08/1962  8B Warrington Dallam

90685  05/11/1960  08/12/1962  36A Doncaster

90565  03/12/1960  25/03/1961  81E Didcot

90565  07/10/1961  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

90693  07/10/1961  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

From http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=486

Polly

Edit: The table collapsed into a one-word list when I posted this and I've had to realign it.

Ah, well.

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

...and 90630

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/pictures/large/495.jpg

Original page

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/number495.asp

The cab number has been removed although its boiler plate number and shed code (81C) are still in tact. So, is this in it's withdrawn condition?  There's a bit of a debate on the date of the photo in the Comments section.  Maybe be mine could be one of those being shunted onto the had-its-day track after its last run.

Polly

It's interesting that the one sent to Didcot returned a few months later!

Polly

Hi All,

Quite right too - we Didcot people are people of impeccable taste...

In all seriousness though there were a few stationed at 81E at various points in history. A really lovely Christmas Present there too!

Happy New Year!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

It seems there were quite a few WD/8s at Southall.  I've listed those that were there in 1961.  It's interesting that the one sent to Didcot returned a few months later!

WD/8 Arrive Depart Next depot

90174  30/06/1952  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

90355  16/06/1956  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

90630  16/06/1956  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

90356  25/01/1958  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

90466  21/02/1959  25/08/1962  8B Warrington Dallam

90685  05/11/1960  08/12/1962  36A Doncaster

90565  03/12/1960  25/03/1961  81E Didcot

90565  07/10/1961  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

90693  07/10/1961  12/11/1962  Withdrawn

From http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=486

Polly

Edit: The table collapsed into a one-word list when I posted this and I've had to realign it.

Ah, well.

Only problem is you won't have room to recreate the famous Sunday when 'Casey' in the London Divisional Control decided to have a go at clearing a few pools out of various yards and sent a Southall WD plus brakevan down to Didcot with orders to clear empty pools from every yard between Cholsey and Southall on the way back.  According to the oft repeated tale the engine got back to Southall a good 12 hours later with around 120 empty pools and had to be sent on to Acton as there was no room for the train at Southall.  Reputedly Southall men loved Casey even more than Didcot men liked me in the early 1990s (when I was putting as much work as possible their way).

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Quite right too - we Didcot people are people of impeccable taste...

In all seriousness though there were a few stationed at 81E at various points in history. A really lovely Christmas Present there too!

Happy New Year!

All the best,

Castle

Thanks, Castle.

And a Happy New Year from us.

Polly and Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only problem is you won't have room to recreate the famous Sunday when 'Casey' in the London Divisional Control decided to have a go at clearing a few pools out of various yards and sent a Southall WD plus brakevan down to Didcot with orders to clear empty pools from every yard between Cholsey and Southall on the way back.  According to the oft repeated tale the engine got back to Southall a good 12 hours later with around 120 empty pools and had to be sent on to Acton as there was no room for the train at Southall.  Reputedly Southall men loved Casey even more than Didcot men liked me in the early 1990s (when I was putting as much work as possible their way).

Sorry,

What is a 'pool'?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry,

What is a 'pool'?

In that part of the world it was a 16t mineral wagon - the name goes back to the 'pooling' of most coal wagons during WWII.  However in my experience even on the Western Region it was not universally used and the meaning varied a bit, London end it was basically applied in some yards to all empty flat bottom coal carrying wagons, at least one yard at that end only applied it to 16 tonners while in those parts of South Wales where I worked it wasn't used at all and we had 16 tonners, 21 ton flats, 21 ton hoppers, 'bombers' (24.5ton flats) and so on - a big reason for differentiation being that not a few collieries could only accept certain types of wagon.

All a matter of 'railway english as she was spoke' ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster