Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway - Questions

Sir Madog

The W & L locos "Earl" and "Countess" have been a long time favourite for me. As I have only a limited space available for my layout, going NG seems to be a natural choice.

I do have a few questions and hope to get the answers here.

1. Track plan Llanfair Caereinion

I have searched the web for pictures/track plan/drawings of this station, but was unable to unearth sufficient material. A birds eye view by Google Maps did not have sufficient detail to come up with an idea.

Can anyone help me with this?

2. Dorset Kits

I´d like to buy a kit from them, but ukmodeshops.co.uk does not list any other way to contact them than by snail mail or phone. I have no idea on the cost of a complete kit, including motor/gear box/wheels and pickups. Phoning is out of question, as I can write in English, but speaking is a different story.

Help?

3. Rolling stock

Is there a source for those wonderfully restored GWR coaches I have seen in a youtube.com video?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Firstly, good choice. The W&L is a lovely line.

Are you looking at modelling Llanfair pre- or post-preservation? The layout of the station changed quite a lot when it became the headquarters of the line!

You didn't say what scale you were considering, but I presume since you mention Dorset Kits that you are looking at 7mm scale. I'm sure they do kits for the coaches as well as the locos. There is a thread on building them over on the ngrm-online forum - which would be a good place to ask these kinds of questions, being full of NG enthusiasts.

There used to be kits in 009 for the locos and coaches from Golden Arrow, but I understand they are hard to get hold of now.

Michael,

yes, it´ll be 7mm scale. I have been dabbling with 7mm standard gauge ideas, only to find out that I don´t have enough room for that.

6 years ago, I visited Wales to take a tour of the "Great Little Trains of Wales" and I immediately fell in love with those Beyer Peacock 0-6-0´s of the W & L. Only recently I found out that there is a kit available.

My plans are to model present day Llanfair Caereinion Station. I have a vague idea what the track plan looks like. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of the trackage during my visit.

Evaluating some of my photos, a few videos on youtube.com and an aerial view in Google Maps, this is what I have come up with:

LlanfairCaereinionStation.jpg

I am not sue whether this would be a fair representation of the station as it is today, so any comment is moe than welcome!

That looks about right to me, except that there is a short kick-back siding from the outer (lower in your diagram) engine shed road. The engine shed is close to the loop track. The "Sheds" are now in fact the shop/tea-room and ticket sales, behind that there is an overall roof (where you marked "station buildings" which covers the end of the track (crossed by a walkway to the platform, beyond which a van is on display).

I was there a few weeks ago, but like you failed to take many photos of the track! However Bing maps is a little clearer than google:

http://binged.it/OEVPVN

Michael,

thanks for the link! That Bing view helped a lot!

This is were the plan stands now:

LlanfairCaereinionStation-2.jpg

I think I leave it here for the time being, before I get struck by a bad case of analysis/paralysis.

My next steps will be to obtain scale drawings and pictures of the buildings and, most important, get that Dorset Kits loco kit!

Glad the link helped. Here are some photos I took earlier this month, sorry I wasn't taking pictures of the track but they might help!

This was the shed with some interesting toys:

DSCN3978.JPG

Looking up the platform toward the station:

-DSCN3979.JPG

The other (Eastern) shed:

DSCN3980.JPG

The station buildings. The cafe/shop is in the long building on the left, with a walkway over the track behind the white gate:

DSCN3975.JPG

From the other end the walkway and display van are visible:

DSCN3974.JPG

This loco is on the kick-back from the shed:

DSCN3981.JPG

DSCN3982.JPG

DSCN4017.JPG

See, definitely a nice line to model!

It all looks very clean and tidy, as indeed a well-run railway should, but if you want to get a feel of the 'real' atmosphere of the W&L, have a look at the Wild Swan book (available through inter library loan if you dont want to fork out £20) which has some wonderfully evocative photos in it pre-preservation. Probably too far out of your chosen period though.

Steve

cornelious,

it is a slow process, but with your help, as well as the help from the other posters, I am coming close to it. I watched some videos on youtube.com, giving me more details on the setting,.

This is where I am now:

LlanfairCaereinionStationIIa-1.jpg

There will be a lot of fine tuning to be done, once I have scale drawings of the buildings available, for which I am still looking for a source.

As I mentioned before, it might be worth asking on the NGRM-online forum too, as you would expect there are a lot of NG enthusiasts on there so you might get some more information!

It looks like being an interesting model, the buildings form nice boundaries and view-blocks, and the hedge behind the platform a natural background.

• 4 years later...

Archived