Can anybody suggest a narrow motor for me please?

Hey I am currently scratch building an Indian EMD for a friend. Since the India loco's chasis is identical (almost) to the Class 66 I thought of using Hornby's chasis but the moulding that holds the motor is just too broad and the model I am scratch building is a narrow body loco like the EMD's in the US and Canada!! So if anyone knows of a narrow or flat motor can you please let me know. I'll need it to power a Co-Co bogie and jus to specify more the model that I am building is got a narrow hood just like the Class 20. I'va attached a picture of the loco I intend to make.

Thanks,

Jeremiah.

post-15929-0-47603900-1346380265_thumb.jpg

post-15929-0-58369200-1346380278.jpg

post-15929-0-06334200-1346380296_thumb.jpg

Mashima can motors are also available in 12mm,14mm and 16mm widths.

The DS10 is an open framed motor.

There are various stockists such as Roxey, Branchlines and High Level.

How about basing your model on an American diesel chassis with centrally mounted motor.

A lot of them are designed with narrow hoods.

Gordon A

Bristol

You refered that the motor mounting on the 66 is too broad.

Most of the American engines are of the narrow bonneted type. There is a chance with a bit of research that there is one that has the same or very close dimensions between each of the three axles. They usually manage to squeeze in a good can motor with fly wheels that gives good smooth running.

Yes you will have to do some butchery, but if you are scratch building the body it should not be too difficult.

Another chassis that may be useful is the Hornby class 58 - full width cabs at each end connected by narrow American style engine housing / bonnet.

Gordon A

Bristol

Hey I am currently scratch building an Indian EMD for a friend. Since the India loco's chasis is identical (almost) to the Class 66 I thought of using Hornby's chasis but the moulding that holds the motor is just too broad and the model I am scratch building is a narrow body loco like the EMD's in the US and Canada!! So if anyone knows of a narrow or flat motor can you please let me know. I'll need it to power a Co-Co bogie and jus to specify more the model that I am building is got a narrow hood just like the Class 20. I'va attached a picture of the loco I intend to make.

It would help if you were to define 'narrow', like in millimetres. Then you could almost answer your own question.

As BillB has suggested, if you know the dimensions of the space available, it should not be too difficult to work out the size of motor that will fit. Mashima flatcan motors are described as 1015, 1020, etc. This designates the width and length, i.e. 10mm wide aross the flats by 15mm long. The web sites for HighLevel and Roxey Mouldings show a selection. Horsetan's comment above is also relevant; size matters and you should aim for the largest motor that will fit comfortably.

As Dutch Master has suggested above, Hollywood Foundry may also offer some ideas.

Best wishes

Eric

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm a bit late coming to this. I wonder what scale and gauge are you working in?

The habit in Ireland was to use an Athearn SD9 as a chassis for a CIE 071 class which was a twin cab narrow body co-co, mechanically equivalent to an SD-45. (A HO SD-45 chassis didn't work because the SD-45 had longer fuel tanks between the bogies.) Your loco looks about right for the SD9 too, and seems to be an intermediate design between the 071 and UK Class 66 / Irish Rail Class 201. I think there's another Indian loco that's closer to the 071. If the length is right, you'd need to change the bogie sideframes to the more modern design - the bogie on your loco is essentially an evolution from the earlier SD9 one. If I recall correctly the Athearn chassis had outside frames, so that would be difficult. You might live with the differences. Of course, if you're regauging for the Indian broad gauge, you'll need to take account of that too. Overall, the SD9 is probably a good compromise for a 16.5mm gauge model, otherwise I'd see what Hollywood Foundry can supply.

Hope that helps.

Alan

The 59s were based on EMD SD40-2 locos so you might want to look for a USA model of that as the WDP4B seems to be a derivative of that.

Cheers, Mike

The WDP-4B is derived from a Class 66. Its got the same chasis and bogies. Does anyone have a Hornby Class 66? I would like to know how broad the mounting jig/bracket is for the powered bogie and if it can be narrowed down?

Archived