Danemouth Yet Again

Danemouth

My first attempt at a layout Danemouth Mk 1 was closed by Dr Beeching because:

• The was insufficient space for scenic development at the back, and
  • A rather dead space at the front between the turntable and sidings that was going to be difficult to fill.

So I started again and came up with a plan using Anyrail Danemouth Mk2 - I then laid the plan out full size on the boards using Peco templates and thought my way through the operational sequences and decided it wasn't anywhere as good as Danemouth Mk 1!

So I've gone back to the original boards - three 4' by 2' boards with a fiddle sector plate at right angles at the left hand end. This does bring a small problem - a second radius curve which comes into the scenic area about 6" from back.

Basically I would like:

• A seaside town, busy with passenger traffic in summer on Saturdays but less busy in the winter except when Danemouth Rovers play at home! Danemouth Mk 2 had three platforms which seems about right.
  • Parcels traffic in Platform 3 on weekdays
  • A small goods yard.
  • Loco facilities off stage (loved the turntable on Danemouth Mk1 but it took too much space).

The Scenario

• A BR(W) South coast terminus built by the GWR. It was built comparatively late hence the cramped station.
  • Danemouth is a short branch off the GW mainline - about 5 miles. So coaches are detached at the junction to come down the branch
  • Local traffic is a mixture of B sets and 14xx autocoach sets.
  • Operate as two periods 1955-58 (blood & custard coaches & early emblem) and 1960-62 (Green diesels)
  • Steam locos will be 14xx, Panniers, Prairies, baby Collet, Grange and a Hall - nothing bigger
  • Goods facilities & parcel traffic.

The Plan

post-7048-0-17035600-1351452732.jpg

This has been laid out on the boards and certainly meets my needs for train running.

Your comments will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

How do you turn the Grange and Hall? Or do you assume an offstage MPD?

John,

Sorry, meant to say that loco facilities are now offstage - the turntable on Mk1 took too much space, which is a pity,

Regards,

Dave

Freight operations. How do you:

• release the incoming freight loco to get serviced
  • get the brake van on the right end of the train for departure as there's no goods run round
  • Assemble the outgoing freight without trapping the station pilot/shunter (assuming there is one)

What Mike said

Here's my take Dave.

I'd move the signalbox closer to the station throat. Put in a short dock platform - useful for holding an engine about to go onto a train in plat 1. Also for vans etc.

By moving the road slightly, you might be able to lengthen the goods yard sidings. I'd also be inclined to include some form of coal yard too.

Finally, don't forget the trap point by the loco spur.

Regards,

Peter

Thanks everybody for your ideas; please do keep them coming :-)

I will try all of your suggestions on the boards Tuesday evening (club tomorrow night) and come back with a revised plan then.

Regards,

Dave

Dave

Do you really need three platforms? You can only really use Platform 1 for arrivals that's not a push-pull. Here's my take.

• Lose platform 3 but keep the road and make it a freight yard arrival/departure with its own run round.
  • But move all that towards the bottom of the board
  • Take platform 2 and move it down and have a dedicated loco release road (e.g. Launceston or Barnstaple)
  • You'd then have two fully functioning arrival/departure platforms.
  • And keep what Peter said and amended about the goods yard. (but still lose platform 3 as you're moving plat 2 down)
  • However is you do this the loco spur is going to involve several reversals, so maybe move that up the line a bit. You may then find that you can fit in a short parcels bay where Peter had his loco spur. (Kingswear)

[EDIT]

With Peter's and my takes you'd have a virtually separate goods yard to operate in, and passenger that would take simultaneous arrivals/departures.

Just the thing for a Summer Saturday. :)

• RMweb Premium

Have you considered having the platforms at the front of the layout and the goods yard at the rear?

I remember that the said in version 1 that you wanted a road then houses at the back of the layout and I see that you have it here. Something that you could do to get an extra couple on inches is replace the road with the gardens/ yards of the houses and then model the rear of the buildings.

Have you considered having the platforms at the front of the layout and the goods yard at the rear?

I remember that the said in version 1 that you wanted a road then houses at the back of the layout and I see that you have it here. Something that you could do to get an extra couple on inches is replace the road with the gardens/ yards of the houses and then model the rear of the buildings.

Kris,

Indeed I did experiment with moving the good yard to the back of the layout but given the entrance from the fiddle yard is fixed due to the 2nd radius curve I would end up with a large dead space where I have placed the goods yard on the current plan. For a short while I did consider in Danemouth Mk2 losing the left hand board and joining the the sector plate - this left me with an 8 foot scenic area rather than 10' 9" thereby screwing operational interest from my viewpoint,

Thanks for the idea,

Regards,

Dave

I have mocked up this to add in the mix. What about putting it on a slight angle? It looks better on an angle and generates some space for the low relief buildings.

If you have the platform 1 and 2 as an island it also frees up some space.

The bottom platform (4) could be for parcels or autocoach.

The main platforms can take 4 coaches at a squeeze.

You have run around on both main platforms.

What is platform 3 could be used as the head shunt for the goods sidings. You could also squeeze in a coal yard as the top siding

This leaves room for your road and low relief buildings at the top. If you put the track into a road bridge/tunnel you can also build a bit more of the town on top with the road rising to the bridge (with the ever present retaining walls)

The gap in the low relief buildings could be filled with a backscene depicting dunes or a distant sea.

post-16793-0-55186100-1351773211_thumb.jpg

I have mocked up this to add in the mix. What about putting it on a slight angle? It looks better on an angle and generates some space for the low relief buildings.

If you have the platform 1 and 2 as an island it also frees up some space.

The bottom platform (4) could be for parcels or autocoach.

The main platforms can take 4 coaches at a squeeze.

You have run around on both main platforms.

What is platform 3 could be used as the head shunt for the goods sidings. You could also squeeze in a coal yard as the top siding

This leaves room for your road and low relief buildings at the top. If you put the track into a road bridge/tunnel you can also build a bit more of the town on top with the road rising to the bridge (with the ever present retaining walls)

The gap in the low relief buildings could be filled with a backscene depicting dunes or a distant sea.

Jon,

Thanks for taking the time to do the mock-up, it certainly has some good ideas that will be well worth my time investigating. I like the idea of two run-around loops and I had always envisaged platform 3 using an autocoach + 14xx or a b-set with 4575

Haven't had much time this week to look at the boards - I hope to be able to restart at the weekend.

I need to finalise the plan over the next couple of weeks - retiring at the end of the month and aim to get the track laid before Christmas, assuming SWMBO concurs :yes: :yes: :yes: won't be able to avoid the seasonal shopping this year,

Regards,

Dave

Actually the idea of an island platform has reminded me of MInehead on the WSR. That's a seaside terminus, has a long two sided platform.

Also has an engine shed and turntable, but you could dispense with those. Goods shed is opposite the station building more or less. You could use the Hornby skaledale model for the station (the actual one is longer but same style - or if feeling adventurous get a couple of the old Hornby Dunster station plastic kits of Ebay and try something approaching actual length.

The actual sidings are fairly limited, if you loose the engine shed and turntable. I'll see if I can look something up.

regards

Dean

Hi Dave

Forgive me if you've mentioned this elsewhere, and it could well be that space does not permit, but I was wondering whilst 2 foot wide is a good width to ensure that you can get to the back of the layout should anything derail, I wonder if the layout comes to the front of the boards you could extend the back of the boards by about 6 inch to give you your scenic section.

Dean

Actually the idea of an island platform has reminded me of MInehead on the WSR. That's a seaside terminus, has a long two sided platform.

Also has an engine shed and turntable, but you could dispense with those. Goods shed is opposite the station building more or less. You could use the Hornby skaledale model for the station (the actual one is longer but same style - or if feeling adventurous get a couple of the old Hornby Dunster station plastic kits of Ebay and try something approaching actual length.

The actual sidings are fairly limited, if you loose the engine shed and turntable. I'll see if I can look something up.

Dean,

Thanks for the two posts, I have been looking at track plans including Minehead which I think is a lovely station, the sort of atmosphere I would like to create.

The original Danemouth had a turntable which was a lovely feature but just took too much of my available space - that was the principal reason for scrapping Mk1 as I had a large "dead" area at the front centre of the layout between the turntable and goods yard.

The number of platform is up for grabs but I will be reverting to island platforms as Mark 1 had - not sure yet if there will be more than 2 platforms - I would like a parcels platform but that remains to be seen. This weekend I hope to lay the whole thing out full size using templates and will the work my way through operational patterns - I find this is important as a couple of reasonable plans turned out to be rubbish when I ran through the train moves.

Initially I intend to use the large Metcalfe station I've had a look at the Hornby station and was less than impressed, however, in the light of your comments I will revisit the decision.

I have no problems reaching the back of the layout should something derail. The plan as it stands has 140mm across the back of the layout widening to 200 mm by the station - this is just about enough space for the scenic development as I envisage it. I can't widen the boards as the layout is in a narrow garage only 7' wide with racking on the opposite wall and into the bargain I am not noted for my slim figure!

Again thanks for the comments,

Regards,

Dave

There was a very good article along time ago when someone upgraded the old Hornby Dunster kit, mainly by throwing awat the stick on stone affect and replacing it with embossed precoloured card (faller I think) the end result was very good I seem to recall. I know you don't consider yourself a scratch builder, but might be worth a go.

Hi, I hope you dont take this as too much of a criticism but the plan you have original shown and original operational wants dont tie up for me. A seaside town, busy with seasonal holiday makers at the end of a short branch doesnt shout out 3 platform faces. I would consider the prototype for inspiration and personally would look at Minehead (already mentioned) and Kingswear for the basis. Both have the 1 island platform, able to hold decent length holiday trains, both have 2 or 3 sidings for freight traffic and have got loco faciltiies that can be used/ missed out depending on space and your own personal requirements.

If you can get a longer platform, and I'll try and draw a plan up this evening for you, then it masy be possible to use one of the platforms for parcels at the same time as passenger traffic.

Question I suppose will be would the goods yard give you enough interest, outside bringing passenger trains in and out.

If you can get a longer platform, and I'll try and draw a plan up this evening for you, then it masy be possible to use one of the platforms for parcels as well as.

Question I suppose would be will the goods yard give you enough interest, otherwise you'll be bringing passenger trains in and out.

Dean

Taking the plan I posted in #1 Platform 1 has ~120cm from the start of the platform to the start of the release crossover and 35cm beyond the release crossover - a Grange and three coaches fits nicely - this also reflects the largest train the sector plate can store and gives a reasonable impression of a long station.

I know that the passenger traffic + a small goods yard (3 or 4 sidings) gives sufficient interest - TBH I would have stuck with Danemouth Mk1 had it not been for the SBE's when it came to the scenery!

Regards,

Dave

SBE = Schoolboy Errors

Hi, I hope you dont take this as too much of a criticism but the plan you have original shown and original operational wants dont tie up for me. A seaside town, busy with seasonal holiday makers at the end of a short branch doesnt shout out 3 platform faces. I would consider the prototype for inspiration and personally would look at Minehead (already mentioned) and Kingswear for the basis. Both have the 1 island platform, able to hold decent length holiday trains, both have 2 or 3 sidings for freight traffic and have got loco faciltiies that can be used/ missed out depending on space and your own personal requirements.

Any comments are most welcome - after all at this stage it costs nothing to change my mind and pointing me in the direction of options I may not have considered is most helpful.

I have been more than pleased with the feedback I've received in this thread so far.

Danemouth Mk1 was my take to a very limited extent on Kingswear - as I've said above I liked the track layout but made a mess of other factors.

The thinking for the new version of Danemouth started when I saw a track plan of Porthcawl which was at the end of a branch from Pyle - the station had three platforms - my Danemouth Mk2 thread illustrates that plan and why it didn't work for me.

I may well end up with a two platform island station but I need to lay it out to see if it works for me.

Regards,

Dave

Dean

Taking the plan I posted in #1 Platform 1 has ~120cm from the start of the platform to the start of the release crossover and 35cm beyond the release crossover - a Grange and three coaches fits nicely - this also reflects the largest train the sector plate can store and gives a reasonable impression of a long station.

Sorry the point I was making, rather badly, is that if you have a platform that can accomodate lets say engine and five coaches, even if you can't store a train that long, is it gives the following benefits.

1 Trains don't fill the platforms, I think it can look better to have some platform left over, after the train has come in; and

2 the bay or subsidiary platform, can have parcels traffic marshalled up against the buffers and still allow you to pull in a local train into the platform.

Also shunting movements could take place (carriages being moved out of the arrivals platform and into a carriage siding) making use of the fiddle yard/traverser.

Archived