C301 116 DMU modelled from Lima

MJI

• RMweb Premium

OK been thinking here. The hardest and most annoying job has been drilling the holes for the grab handles and the door handles.

An etched brass drilling pattern would be so good as I still have 6 or so vehicles to do. (Tyseley 116 and B430). I will have to see if anyone could do one for me.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin, do you have any pictures of the Laserglaze kit ? what is the thickness of the glazing panes ? and how much are they for each vehicle ?

Best regards

Craig.

I will do pictures tomorrow, as I have been on the Westons, as a moderate drinker one bottle (about a pint) combined with tiredness is enough for me to not want to touch a model tonight.

I had a slightly special deal but normally same as I paid at £30 for a set but Brian chucked in a couple more sheets due to the extra windows on a 116 trailer.

Looks to be abpput 10 thou.

• RMweb Premium

Actually one plan is when I have finished is to use a picture of this set to replace Mr Sniper on the left, he was great he proved motion controls could work well with a proper shooting game.

I do not want to scare everyone with a piccie of me, and for my other hobbies it is either the Sniper or my car.

• RMweb Premium

Well the supplied centre car set is insuffient for any non 117 118 TCLs.

116 is short of some big windows and due to the slight variation of window sizes not even the smaller windows.

If you are doing a diffrent centre coach, ask Brian if he can chuck in two extra sets of windows, you will need them.

No more pictures until I have at least 1 side of 1 vehicle completed

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

More info. In December I was the innocent party in a three car pileup, only vehicle to drive home  but would have cost about £800 to repair on the cheap and get through next MOT.

Whole RHS was pushed in, so breaking for spares then scrap the shell.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Current status

one cab to do (3 windows)

4 wipers

C301 on window to do cab

Reunite with chassis

Was hoping to do it today but ended up claying half of my new car instead.

• RMweb Premium

All windows fitted. all chassis found.

Need to fit two wipers, fit two handrails, find the cab glazing to chop up, bit of paint on TS roof

• RMweb Premium

OK here it is night is not good for photos, those handrails do line up on W50084

post-14686-0-24883500-1396553040_thumb.jpg

DMS W50126

post-14686-0-80969900-1396553040_thumb.jpg

TS W59373

post-14686-0-90229100-1396553041_thumb.jpg

DMBS W50084

post-14686-0-32595000-1396553041_thumb.jpg

C301

Work to do, tidy up the TS roof, and fit some more pickups ALA B435 and B465

• RMweb Premium

Umm still to do the lamp irons as well

But the laserglaze is pretty effective, took me around 10 hours to do the unit over a month.

Anyway I will say that if you are bashing any of the Lima DMUs Laserglaze is pretty good, and he has my address and I have two more sets to do, Tyseley 116 and a rebuild of B430 as my chocolate & cream went poor.

• RMweb Premium

A few answers for the expected questions.

The South Wales sets were gangwayed for ticket collection, so gangways are correct

Yes the paint has gone thin on the bottom of one side, this will require a tiny bit of weathering.

DMUs are normally pretty clean body wise but do fade eventually, will will spray the chassis with track colour B&G is quite hardy on coaching stock.

Lima bogies look MUCH better without flash but I do need better wheels.

It cost me about £75 to £80 not including paint but including 4 coaches off Ebay, I bulk bought handles and roof vents. In cost order.

1) 3 car DMU

2) Laserglaze

3) Resin DMS conversion kit

4) Other TCL to create a TS

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin, that glazing is a vast improvement, and certainly knocks spots of the SEF bubble wrap glazing.

I likey likey a lot.

Happy modelling

Craig.

I will use it for both the Tysley set and the rebuild of my original B430 (That was a mess up, 1 car had BR1s and luckily I found a cabless DMBS for bogies and DMS bits) I should have gone back to CMC but could not be bothered!

The Lima 117 is a model you cannot have witthout a respray

I will use it for both the Tysley set and the rebuild of my original B430 (That was a mess up, 1 car had BR1s and luckily I found a cabless DMBS for bogies and DMS bits) I should have gone back to CMC but could not be bothered!

The Lima 117 is a model you cannot have witthout a respray

Hi Martin, any pics of your B430 ? I am doing T430, just awaiting Steve at Railtec to do me a full number set and Warwick Bear crest "hopefully" for the headcode, then stick a Silver fox DMS kit on it and respray the Brown and cream in, I have a couple of DC kits head code boxes to replace the poor Lima ones, I am undecided whether to do my set as a rail tour as I saw in the First Generation DMU book showing the set in Carlisle on a rail tour run, this gives me licence to run the set where ever.

Happy modelling

Craig. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin, any pics of your B430 ? I am doing T430, just awaiting Steve at Railtec to do me a full number set and Warwick Bear crest "hopefully" for the headcode, then stick a Silver fox DMS kit on it and respray the Brown and cream in, I have a couple of DC kits head code boxes to replace the poor Lima ones, I am undecided whether to do my set as a rail tour as I saw in the First Generation DMU book showing the set in Carlisle on a rail tour run, this gives me licence to run the set where ever.

Happy modelling

Craig. 

Brush painted and wobbly lining, standard bodies (no carved off & replaced handrails) and my cut and splice split, so best not, mine will be in 1985 condition.

As B430s was welded up, plastic laminated on and filed back will do for me, looks OK on my B435.

But that laserglaze is definately worth it. I did get two extra sheets as I was converting.

I think the first two recent conversions will stay SE vac form for now.

I had a good month on Ebay and spent Paypal on 4 Lima DMUs to convert

Bought when young mix of colours on DMS prompted painting in choc cream to became B430

Recent purchases 118 B465 in blue

117 B435 in B/G

116 C301 in B/G

116/127/116 TS set in B/G

Then revamp B430 again

• 1 month later...

Beautiful Class 116 MJI. I made an attempt many years ago based upon an article in Airfix Model Trains magazine.

Main disappointment was my choice of MU Green which was too light for my memory of BR(GE) DMU green. My fingers are still sore from soldering up all the footsteps by hand from scrap brass too!

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=26359504@N08&q=Class%20116

Thanks for sharing.

Steven.

Archived