C301 116 DMU modelled from Lima

MJI

• RMweb Premium

These are my best fitted DMS sides out of the lot!

Currently started the smaller front window conversion, one is going to be back fill, the other a complete experiment.

• RMweb Premium

excellent work, was thinking about doing a 115 but wasnt too sure where to start, this thread helps alot.

Mike

Well when I find the DMS donor for B430 I am tempted to do a 115 or 127

I will be starting a Tysely thread soon. I may do just the trailer for you.

• RMweb Premium

OK bit more progress

DMS head code box fitted

All 4 front windows now modified

Just smoothing and sanding to do, then handrail holes on DMS, then primer time

• RMweb Premium

Well the power cars are now in primer but.

1) Bit messy on roof at front where I redid the dome

2) Some handrail mess on the front

3) Some filling required on window repairs

So tomorrow when dry I will sand/fill and photo

• RMweb Premium

DMBS

post-14686-0-61993800-1357074758_thumb.jpg

This has had a little more filling since this picture was taken and the roof vents added.

DMS

post-14686-0-44078800-1357074759_thumb.jpg

This alse has had a little more filling since this picture was taken and the roof vents added.

Also filled small gap between DMS panels and roof

• RMweb Premium

Won't be able to buy any more bits for it so won't take beyond primer until March.

Car problems means I need to divert my modelling funds, (for information gearbox, track rod, LPG system all playing up)

• RMweb Gold

DMBS

attachicon.gifdmbs.JPG

This has had a little more filling since this picture was taken and the roof vents added.

DMS

attachicon.gifdms.JPG

This alse has had a little more filling since this picture was taken and the roof vents added.

Also filled small gap between DMS panels and roof

Should these really have those marker lights on the roof? The pictures I've seen (such as on railcar.co.uk) don't show them.

• RMweb Premium

They are a couple of quid. Afraid i dont know the part number (or even if charlie uses them). Sorry i didnt mention it earlier as the come with roof domes and headcode boxes.

They are a fraction wider but the cab sides need a little bit of re-shaping anyway.

Cheers

Jim

A Cheque for £6.00 will cover postage too! 

• RMweb Premium

Should these really have those marker lights on the roof? The pictures I've seen (such as on railcar.co.uk) don't show them.

C301 does have the marker lights, these are not great just turned sprue but look OK, none of the Tysley sets do AFAIK. All of the Cardiff sets were also gangwayed.

I have hunted for pictures of all the DMUs I am modelling, found some good ones of B465 in overall blue. B435 in blue grey including some video. B430 in GWR150 no shortage there! C301 I found a lovely clear shot.

All sets are ones I have seen and travelled in, and they are not all the same, eg my two 116s.

C301

gangwayed

marker light on roof

TS

non gangwayed

standard roof

115 or 127 trailer

A Cheque for £6.00 will cover postage too!

I bought the sides from you Charlie, now which ends are they? Tempted to try them for the other 116 I am building.

Current progress depends on the findings of MintLPG as they will be checking my ECU over and I don't like buying petrol. Trackrod end and gearbox switch now purchased so not QUITE as worried. Cars are so expensive to maintain!

• RMweb Premium

This one didn't have them.

Hi Jane

With Derby Suburban units if the driving car was fitted with a 2 figure headcode then it would not have the top light as in your link. The first 42 sets displayed their headcode using the light positions as used by steam locomotives and diesels with disc headcodes. After 1976 when displaying headcodes was stopped the centre light under the cab was removed and the hole plated over. The top light was made inoperable but not removed. The later build units with the two figured headcode display had these removed and the area was plated over. 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Today I have been making and fitting the bogie footsteps and the DMS step boards, all 3 bodies are in primer, waiting for warmer weather.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived